Shimano nexus 3

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
belgiangoth

Shimano nexus 3

Post by belgiangoth »

Mrs B is after a bike with a shimano nexus 3 hub. I can fix flats on a SA 3-speed, how much harder/easier is a nexus?
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Shimano nexus 3

Post by [XAP]Bob »

belgiangoth wrote:Mrs B is after a bike with a shimano nexus 3 hub. I can fix flats on a SA 3-speed, how much harder/easier is a nexus?

Never had to fix a flat - but I rode one for 5 weeks in helsinki (with coaster brake). Was a lovely experience (my first real hub gear experience, and very much at a leisurely pace compared with my normal style).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

One other comment since there is little response is that you could put a Sidewinder tube in the pack on that bike - then the punctured tube can be tied around the chainstay/seatstay and the Sidewinder wrapped in without removing the wheel.

Then you can repair it at leisure that evening.

This is what I have on a Brompton I often borrow...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Nexus 3 not much different to SA3 really. Threaded toggle chain is much the same, but Mr Shimano has an adjuster barrel threaded at both ends, LH tread at 1 end, RH thread at the other. In adjustment/removal terms its the same, just screw/unscrew the adjuster barrel.
Adjustment is set by adjusting until 2 - or is it "N" - (ie 2nd gear) appears in the round hole on the axle end - so you adjust in 2nd like SA.
To remove the wheel, having undone the cable adjuster, you need to remove the gear change fulcrum (or lump of metal) from the end of the axle. Simply undo the grub screw (10mm spanner) and it slides off, revealing the 15mm axle nut (RH thread as per usual, Mr Shimano has actually managed not to turn the design of a simple axle nut on its head, phew).
Once the fulcrum has been removed from the end of the axle, there is a push rod inside the wheel axle, either leave it in, or slide it out and replace when you have finished. Choose whichever is least likely to have you losing the push rod in the middle of the lawn.....
Deako

Post by Deako »

On my nexus 7 hub geared/nexave braked bike I don't bother removing the wheel to fix a flat (or I didn't, haven't had a flat for a couple of years since sticking Marathon plus tyres on). It's obvioulsy a bit more of a hassle getting the tyre on and off, but less than removing the gubbins with the brake and gears.

Greg