Mudguard mounted rear-lights?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
trevva

Mudguard mounted rear-lights?

Postby trevva » 28 Aug 2012, 11:35pm

Hi,

We are preparing the tandem for her next big tour, and decided that we need to upgrade the rear lights. We tour with two rear-panniers and an Ortlieb rack-pack on the back, so we can't use anything that is seatpost mounted. We have a Blackburn Ex1 rack, but this unfortunately doesn't have any mounts for lights (why an expedition rack doesn't have space for lights is beyond me). Something could be fabricated, but ideally I would like to mount one of the modern powerful LED lights (e.g. Blackburn Mars 4.0 or similar) on the rear mudguard - it has the advantage of being out of the way of all that baggage, and has a clear view to the read! Does anyone know of a mount that can be purchased to facilitate this, or can recommend a really good light that mounts onto the mudguards?

Best wishes,

Dorthe and Mark

stewartpratt

Re: Mudguard mounted rear-lights?

Postby stewartpratt » 29 Aug 2012, 9:31am

Picking up on the rack-mounting option, I use one of these:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/madison-univ ... prod26342/

The one thing worth checking would be that your rack leaves enough space above the mudguard for it. The one I've used it on doesn't, so I ended up having it mounted to the side, which I suspect wouldn't be compatible with panniers. But it works well enough, and I can *just* fit two Cateye TL-LD600s on it.

soton

Postby soton » 29 Aug 2012, 9:44am

No, to both questions. But for guidance on a good light, check http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/genera ... ing/42352/ where they evaluate lights for durability, ease of use etc as well as brightness. I had a Mars 3 spring apart on a bump - trashed.
Secondly, you could fabricate a bracket for your Blackburn using a length of plastic electrical conduit tubing a few inches long. Cut a slot out of one end which will allow the plastic tubing to fit over the rear of the rack's platform, then put a bolt through the tubing to clamp the tubing to the rack. Or even use the 'circle clip' of the light (the Tioga dual eyes has one) to attach the light to the conduit as well as holding the conduit to the rack.

meic

Postby meic » 29 Aug 2012, 9:46am

The rack should have come with a little piece of bent metal strip with holes in that you wrap around the rack's back tube and put a reflector or lamp onto.

I recently fitted a Seculite to a mudguard by drilling a couple of holes in the mudguard and putting the bolts through. I weighed the lamp before hand and it weighs as much as a 2AAA powered LED back light, so the mudguard should be well capable of bearing the weight, if you fit one sympathetically. Preferably near to the stays.

I believe that Spanninga make a mudguard fitting rear battery light but they are unavailable here.
Yma o Hyd

Erudin

Postby Erudin » 29 Aug 2012, 10:17am

Got a Torch mudguard LED, use it along with a rack mounted light and one on the rackbag on my winter/audax bike.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/?_nkw=torch%20mudguard&clk_rvr_id=444436385850&mfe=search
Last edited by Erudin on 27 Jan 2013, 9:05am, edited 1 time in total.

trevva

Postby trevva » 29 Aug 2012, 11:16am

Hi,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Another option that I found was the idea of mounting to the vertical rack-stays, rather than the mudguard. The examples in the picture are taken from this (lovely) website:
http://lovelybike.blogspot.ch/2009/07/e ... cling.html
Does anyone have any experience with this? I would have thought that most rack-stays are too thin for this type of thing...

Dorthe and Mark

stewartpratt

Postby stewartpratt » 29 Aug 2012, 11:25am

That's exactly the sort of position I mount my Madison adapter in, as linked above.

Edit: ah, I found a picture of it; I mounted it higher, but you get the idea.

cross check by stewartpratt, on Flickr

trevva

Postby trevva » 29 Aug 2012, 11:34am

I couldn't quite make sense of how to use the Madison adaptor.... Can you elaborate on how it works+

stewartpratt

Postby stewartpratt » 29 Aug 2012, 11:46am

Sure. Here's the picture for reference:

For now, ignore all the holes (round and square) on the larger, right-hand part of the barrel.

You undo the two bolts in the cap that you see on the left. They come off with the cap, leaving you with the cap and bolts in one hand and the barrel in the other; the cap is only a few millimetres thick, you can see the circumferential gap in the picture. There are notches around that gap in both the barrel and the cap, allowing you to point the light-mounting holes rearwards whether you're attaching the adapter to a horizontal strut or a vertical one.

The holes in the barrel allow you to mount a light with 50mm-spaced (I think) bolts, or you can use a seatpost-type clamp (as with the Cateye) around the barrel. I assume the square holes are for something but I'm not sure what.

paragonman

Postby paragonman » 29 Aug 2012, 12:41pm

SJS cycles sell two mudguard mounted lights, the 'An Lun' and the 'PDW Fenderbot'.
I have no idea how good they are.

Paragonman

DavidT

Postby DavidT » 29 Aug 2012, 5:22pm

I've got one of these on my mudguard. It looks very like the PDW Fenderbot from SJS as mentioned above.

http://www.spanninga.nl/xhtml/product_d ... id=69&cc=1

A nice little light with low battery warning built in. Only a static light though - no flashing. Not as bright as the more mainstream lights mentioned above - I tend to use it as a back up to my main B&M light on the rack, and it adds another reflector.