Cycle Computer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Brian R Pateman

Re: Cycle Computer

Post by Brian R Pateman »

Redvee wrote:A Garmin800 does all this too and some more, much more :lol:

But at that price, providing you can read a map, isn't it rather over the top as a means of knowing how fast you are pedalling a bicycle?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

meic wrote:Even the bit about changing* the batteries every two years.Though I am managing six years in my Halford's speedo!

* that includes recharging them. :wink: :lol:

I was playing safe so's not to disappoint.It does depend on the make/quality of battery,one of mine's on it's fourth year :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

I have a Velo8, got too the end of a club ride once and realised I'd lost it, when another member says "lost something?" It had fallen off bounced across the road and still worked perfectly. By the way, it doesn't make a habit of falling off, I hadn't fitted it properly
'Kernow bys Vyken'
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Every single Cateye wired computer I have bought has failed at the sensor. Water gets in. I never learn and have bought 4 of them. Now use Cateye wieless ones.
mountainman531

Post by mountainman531 »

I've never had a problem with cateye but wrapping the computer unit with cling film prevents ingress of rainwater and therefore shorting across the contacts.
cyclist67

Post by cyclist67 »

Halfords Value 5 Function Cycle Computer is wired, with a universal mount for handlebar or stem. Features single button control to easily navigate through the five functions, including current and average speed, odometer and trip distance. Universal mount for handlebar or stem fits all bike frames. Cost £8.99

FUNCTIONS
Current speed
Average speed
Odometer
Trip distance
Scan

As you might easily become bored or frustrated with its limitations, I've included:

HALFORDS 8 FUNCTION CYCLE COMPUTER is wired with single button operation making it simple to navigate between the functions. Functions includes current, average and maximum speed, odometer, trip distance, clock, riding time and scan making this cycle computer a simple but useful tool for cyclists keeping an eye on fitness or with cycle exercise programmes. A wide range of cycle computers and accessories are also available.
Weather resistant construction, suitable for use in adverse weather. Universal mount for handlebar or stem fits all bike frames. Cost £12.99

FUNCTIONS
Current speed
Average speed
Maximum speed
Odometer
Trip distance
12 hour clock
Riding time
Scan

I don't actually have any of these, I was only searching on-line for one and found them straight away, so I can't say whether they are reliable/durable, etc.
Trial and error is the best way to find out, anyway . . .
drossall

Re: Re: Cycle Computer

Post by drossall »

mattsccm wrote:Every single Cateye wired computer I have bought has failed at the sensor. Water gets in. I never learn and have bought 4 of them. Now use Cateye wieless ones.

Can you give more detail? I use the original slide-fit Sigmas. I've had a few mount kits fail, but never traced the problem.