Ultra low gear with Alfine 11 spd hub?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rand

Re: Ultra low gear with Alfine 11 spd hub?

Postby rand » 28 Sep 2012, 8:59pm

Meshuga wrote:Furthermore, please don't go spending nearly £60 on a service kit from Shimano (that's without any oil!). There's a chap on eBay selling a homemade version. I bought one and it works perfectly, did an oil change recently with no problems. The oil port is an improvement on the 8 speed hubs.

Link to eBay item
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Alfine-11-SG-S700-hub-oil-maintenance-kit-oil-optional-beats-TL-S703-/271065007938?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f1cbbc742

Hi Meshuga,
Many thanks for that info.
I'll go down that route after I've had the whole thing fixed to my trike and have had a bit of time to save a few quid and i'll forward that info to my LBS.

Rand.

jackt

Postby jackt » 13 Aug 2013, 1:33pm

In the current issue of Cycle is an article about Isla Rowntree's (of Isla Bikes) rough stuff tourer. Alfine 11 with 32T/23 for low gears. Seems to violate the Shimano 'recommendation' but Isla is an accomplished designer, racer and presumably knows her stuff technically.

Can anyone shed any light on the subject, preferably backed by experience of running an Alfine 11 with super low gears.
Author of Lost Lanes, Lost Lanes Wales and Lost Lanes West. Presents The Bike Show podcast.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 13 Aug 2013, 1:52pm

see reply in other thread. BTW a lady racer is likely to be 130lbs dripping wet; even if this does violate some rule it isn't the same thing as doing that with about double the load on board (which might mean x2 power available -briefly perhaps- and x2 minimum torque for any gradient, i.e. potentially x4 the loading at times...)

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~