cycle weight?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
sevenhills

cycle weight?

Post by sevenhills »

My new second hane bike seems rather heavy, not something that bothers me, but how heavy is your bike?

Mine is a Raleigh Gritstone, with rack and heavy tyres. I dont have any scales, so I need to work out how to weigh it. I have just removed the deralia gaurd and I am thinking about changing the noisy large bell for a smaller one.
Incidentally, the deralia is squeeking and problably bent, I have one on my old bike - perhaps the gaurd is usefull?
breakwellmz

Re: cycle weight?

Post by breakwellmz »

Hi.

I weighed mine by borrowing the neighbours bathroom scales,and putting one wheel on at a time.then adding the two values.

My `heavyweight` is an 80s Dawes 531 mountainbike frame on 38mm Schwalbe City Jets.It weighs 31 pounds.Nexus 7, 31" to 77".
Believe me,it IS a lump!

`Lightweight`is 80s Raleigh 531 roadbike on 25mm Bontrager Racelights.Weight 20 pounds.7 speed derail-her.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Best way to weigh your bike - or anything for that matter - even your cat - is to pick it up, get on the bathroom scales and note the weight. Then get off, put the wife/child/hamster/shopping/cat/dog/bike down and then weigh yourself.

Subtract the second weight from the first.
Mick F. Cornwall
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

Is your wife that reluctant to get on the scales that you have to carry her? :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:D
Just illustrating a point! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have you ever tried to get a cat to sit on bathroom scales?
Mick F. Cornwall
Cherwell

Post by Cherwell »

Best way to weigh your bike - or anything for that matter - even your cat - is to pick it up, get on the bathroom scales and note the weight. Then get off, put the wife/child/hamster/shopping/cat/dog/bike down and then weigh yourself.

Subtract the second weight from the first.

+1 This is how I weigh my dogs.
andyh2

Post by andyh2 »

I'm pretty sure the one wheel at a time does not work unless you have both wheels at the same height, ie the wheel not being weighed needs to be on something the same height / depth as the scales.

I only discovered this by comparing the results from the one wheel at a time method and MickF's method and wondering why the results were different.
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

Hi.

I was using it to compare the weight of one bike to another.I therefore have a comparative value,19lb compared to 32lb.

How much difference did you have between two methods on the SAME scales?
andyh2

Post by andyh2 »

Just tried it....
Me + bike - Me = 14kg
Front wheel on scale = 6kg
Rear wheel on scale = 9kg
Total = 15kg

That's only about 7% out.
Seemed more difference when I did it before. Probably because I was trying to determine the fore / aft weight distribution with me on the bike. So the absolute difference was more, but the % difference probably the same.
Big T

Post by Big T »

My touring bike weighs 30lbs (753 steel, rack, mudguards), my audax bike weighs 27lbs (631 steel, rack, mudguards) and my summer bike weighs 23lbs (Alu, no rack, no mudguards).

I use Mick F's method. I'm not sure that weighing one wheel and then the other is a valid method.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

Hi.

Well as andyh2 said it was 7% different.

As i said,i am weighing two things by the same method,comparing one to the other.
Ash28

Post by Ash28 »

I have used fishing scales in the past the type with a spring. I now use some cheapo luggage scales bought from Aldi.
I tie a rope around the stem and seatpost and hang the bike on the scales hanging from a hook in the garage roof.
A tree branch or something else would work.
The Only Cyclist In The Village
cycloret

Post by cycloret »

I bought a luggage weighing scale when penalties for excessive flight luggage became serious. Our luggage would obscure the window on the bathroom scales so I bought one of these as below. It's useful for weighing my cycles too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Di ... 907&sr=8-2
sbesley

Post by sbesley »

Using Mick F's method...

just discovered my Mercian with rack and mud-guards weighs 26.2 lbs.

So now I know.

Just need to put the saddlebag back on with it's several pounds of miscellaneous bits and pieces

Other bike is in the shed and I am in my socks so I can't check now.
The Merican lives in the house of course :D
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Principia with Dura Ace group, carbon cranks/bars/seatpost 7.4kg16.28lb
mid 80s Heswall 531ST 59cm 30 speed STI upgrade + small saddle pack, full length pump/guards (no rack) 10.9kg/23.98lb
50s Carlton 531 with 27" wheels, frction shifters no guards/rack 23-24lb
My commuter bike (modded Specialized globe pro) is around 13kg with 40L bags/rack/guards/2x front & rear lights but it does have plenty of CF bling bits on it :D

ATEOTD it doesn't matter hugely the weight differential of bikes, I mean unless one is competing at a high level even half a stone extra isn't really that much compared to the lump sat atop. What does make a diff is how slippery your running gear is and having correct tyres/tyre pressures.

I weigh my stuff on electronic kitchen scales that go up to 5kg (accurate to +/- 1g) when the bikes are in bits the first time after coming into my hands, curiosity gets the better of me and I have to crack them out.
Even sadder I keep a record of almost everything weight/cost/what bike etc :oops: