French (FFCT) Cycling Licence medical requirement

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
oldermanonabike

French (FFCT) Cycling Licence medical requirement

Post by oldermanonabike »

I am beginning to spend more time in France and have been cycling with a French FFCT club and have made application to join them. The stumbling block is that for men over 45 that a medical certificate is required which seems to involve an examination and a stress test which I reckon will cost about £500 in the UK! This is required apparently for insurance cover against heart failure while cycling and I personally am not bothered about this cover.

Does anybody have any experience of this or know of a way around the need for the medical certification? Any ideas gratefully received!
Bernard

Re: French (FFCT) Cycling Licence medical requirement

Post by Bernard »

Hello, I’m individual member of FFCT, (not in a club), but I confirm, the first time (first year) you are obliged to give ‘un certificat médical’ which say you have no contraindication to practise cyclotourisme.
I think 'stress test' equal 'test à l'effort'.
I’ve contacted the responsible of the licence (Ms L. Blondeau)
http://www.ffct.org/licence/img/affiliation_mi.pdf
who confirms ‘Le test à l’effort’ is not asked, it is only recommended, if you choose the must of the insurance ‘Grand braquet’.
See the different proposal.

http://www.ffct.org/index.php?id=40

Bernard.
In cyclo veritas
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

As I understand it, you only have to present a certificate of aptitude and/or a cardiac stress test certificate if you or your dependents are making a claim. You only need take out a certificate if you take Grand Braquet insurance. The certificate of aptitude must be less than 4 months old when you apply for the licence or be taken out within the month following. A cardiac stress test certificate must be less than two years old. There are different rates of indemnity according to which certificates are submitted with the claim: highest if you have both, minimal if you have none.

The above applies to death from cardio-vascular events: death by diligent application of head to tree does not seem to require a certificate, not even from the Woodland Trust, so feel free.

Under Grand Braquet, the bike is insured against damage up to 1525 euros, a GPS up to 300 and your togs up to 155. There's an excess in all cases and no coverage against theft. I don't know if this would allow one's nearest and drearest to receive a little extra lolly by claiming for the kit as well when you pop your cleats, probably not. But should you have a fatal heart attack when in possession of the relevant certificates then trying to write off the bike before the lights go out might be a good move.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
oldermanonabike

Guys thanks for the comments.

Bernard in your link there is a Formule Mini Braquet which only seems to include third party cover, do you know whether you still need the medical certificate for this as well?
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

the medical certificate ?? with mini braquet ? The answer is « Yes » the medical certificate is necessary for the first registration.(call with FFCT)
Bernard
In cyclo veritas
oldermanonabike

Thanks Bernard will contact Ms. Blondeau
Questor

Post by Questor »

I've been invited to be half of a team in the annual ride called le 33ème Duo Normand à Marigny in Normandy and have come up with the medical certificate problem, I'm 65 years old but quite fit after returning recently from a 2500mile ride around Europe averaging over 90 miles/riding day, however I am epileptic! So far this year I've cycled over 7000 miles with no significant problems.
I have suffered some crashes in the past as a result of my affliction but am now on improved medication and there were no occurrences on my recent tour.
Does anyone know if Epilepsy is a automatic ban for riding Sportives in France? I showed the medical form to a doctor friend who replied that the statement " ---reveals no contra-indications for participating in cycling competitions" is very vague and he would want to know more about the requirements before deciding whether or not to sign the form.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

oldermanonabike wrote:... which seems to involve an examination and a stress test which I reckon will cost about £500 in the UK!

It might not be as expensive as you think. When I lived in France and needed an extensive pilots (aircraft) medical, I was shocked. Dr exam had to be carried out by an approved Dr (and there was generally only one in each nearby city). And on top of that you needed a "extensive" cardio vascular tests - mine took 3 appointments with a heart consultant (incl. ECG, Doppler imaging, etc., etc.) and the bill for all those heart/circulation tests €150 (all appointments, 100% private).

Just my experience (so anecdotal) in France.

Ian
Pandaz

Post by Pandaz »

Its a simple cardiac stress and recovery test.

Usually something like 60 squats in two minutes.

i raced in France in the late 90's as ab amateur. It was only equivalent £75 back then.

Cant see it being hugely more expensive now!!
Pandaz

Post by Pandaz »

I should say Sports Doctors usually aren't that dear in France. Likely cheaper than the UK

Health checks are common in many activities over there.

They also use proper ECG equipment and its extremely accurate, occasionally frightening!
Questor

Post by Questor »

Thanks for the various comments HOWEVER the gist of my particular query is as follows-
Is EPILEPSY (Mostly controlled by medication) an automatic NO as regards the medical certificate for French cycling Sportifs?

Please limit your comments to this in response to my query-- I'm not concerned about costs or availability of doctors (my best friend is one!)
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

That's what you get for recyling an old thread rather than starting your own.
It's entirely normal that most of the respondents are replying to posts made two years ago.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Questor wrote:Please limit your comments to this in response to my query-- I'm not concerned about costs or availability of doctors (my best friend is one!)

So we are not allowed to respond to the original question, nor what anybody else mentions. Only allowed to respond with info YOU want!!

Ian