396,000 locked cycles reported stolen last year! Help wanted

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Almax9633

396,000 locked cycles reported stolen last year! Help wanted

Post by Almax9633 »

Sorry to ask, have any of you lost a cycle whilst using an approved locking device? We are talking Sold Secure, Thatcham or ART in the last 2 years.

I would find this most interesting to know, as nearly 396,000 locked bikes were stolen last year here in the UK, a lot of them must have used an approved locking device such as D lock or cable. I need only know the make, model and the approval body who passed it.

Your help in collecting evidence of the testing bodies inept testing standards, can only help in the fight against crime! Maybe even get the testing standards raised!
Alex

here is the link to the BBC report

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/6596559.stm
meic

Post by meic »

Most people have a vested interest in claiming their bike was locked when it was stolen. So these statistics can not be wholly believed. Also bikes are stolen complete with the lock.
If the thieves have left the broken remains of the lock at the scene of the crime that should be of interest to help the manufacturers improve their locks.
Almax9633

Post by Almax9633 »

The info I have asked for, is limited and I would prefer people to be honest. If they have told thier insurance company they had an approved lock and didn't, I don't care.

I want to hear from those that did have an approved D lock, U lock or cable on their bike, yet still got it stolen (Oh and it must have been attached to another static object).

Since I will not be asking for names, just the basic facts then I think that although some posts will be fictitious, most members will take a responsible attitude.

Its just to demonstrate that, given the ridiculous number of locked bikes stolen each year (996.000), I cannot believe that some if not quite a lot used approved locks of some sort.

This info will be used to directly to confront, Sold Secure and Thatcham as well as Art on the their inept testing standards. Since they will have to cave if enough stats are collected that standards need to be raised.

Alex
meic

Post by meic »

I am lucky enough to live in an area where locks are not really needed. So I am not well informed on the locks in use. However cant it be simply proved that a lock is ineffective by opening/destroying it infront of their eyes?
No amount of tests are worth conducting if the lock can be easily passed by another method. A lock can be so abrasion resistant that it takes half an hour with an angle grinder but still opened in seconds by another method.
All the tests prove is that they are not lying about the abrasion resistance.
If an independant body like the CTC was to have its own testing and awards based on real life effectiveness then you could have more confidence in them.
Anyway best of luck with your survey it is good to keep the manufacturers on their toes.
PH

Re: 396,000 locked cycles reported stolen last year! Help wa

Post by PH »

Almax9633 wrote:Your help in collecting evidence of the testing bodies inept testing standards, can only help in the fight against crime! Maybe even get the testing standards raised!
Alex

I think your expectations of what a lock is capable of are too high.
Sold Secure are an independent body, working alongside the police and insurance companies to ensure the testing methods match the methods used by thieves. A Gold standard bicycle lock will resist these methods for 5 minuets. This may not sound a lot, but it's a higher level of security than most residential front doors and many cars. They could of course make better locks, the trade off would be weight and convenience. A motorcycle chain weighing 4kg will offer around 10 minuets protection. Using several different locks will take longer to beat than one big one, at the price of convenience. Lightweight locks are useful to stop the casual thief from just walking off with your bike, their protection against a determined thief can probably be measured in seconds.
I've had a bike stolen whilst locked in Derby City centre with a SS Silver rated lock, it had been left in a busy spot for less than half an hour. There was no sign of the lock or indication of how it had been beaten. It was a shame but not really a surprise, it was insured and replaced by the insurance company, which is the only real protection from loss.
cel190ca

Post by cel190ca »

Hi there, new on here but was thinking of getting insurance for the new bike i'm contemplating on getting. It'll probably be a Specialized FSR Comp but i'd want to get it insured obviously even though I live in an apartment and never leave it locked for more than 5 mins when outdoors.

Can anybody recommend a good insurer and their benefits? Cheers, Stu
Almax9633

Stolen Pole

Post by Almax9633 »

Would anyone be willing to start a pole? asking if you have had a bike stolen whithin the last 2 years that was lock to a static object.

Was the security product approved by one of the following testing bodies Thatcham, Sold Secure, Art or a combination of the 3.

This I would feel, gives a fair perspective on those that have gone that extra mile and perchased an approved product yet still lost their bike.

Type of product U or D lock, chained or cable would help.

Thx

With regards to locks, I am in the business of selling motorcycle security and there seems to be serious issues with motorcycle security approved products mostly failing in seconds.

Given the number of thefts of cycles, are cyclist having similar experiences of loosing cycles even though they used approved products?