What is it with cycle shops?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
danfoto

Re: What is it with cycle shops?

Post by danfoto »

reohn2 wrote:
danfoto wrote:...... I don't buy this "stock what the customer wants to buy" argument for one minute. IMO it's fatally flawed.

What would you stock?

Sorry, I should have phrased that better. I have many times heard and read the modern mantra "stock what the customer wants to buy", which is apparently taken to mean "stock what most customers buy, most often".

In the case of shops such as the one I'm on about, this seems to mean road bikes and MTBs, upmarket accessories for the same, and go-faster clothing. The net result is not a cycle shop, but rather a purveyor of bikes and accessories catering for those who go cycling in their car.

If such a shop were to also have on display at least one utility bike, a pedelec and a "budget" tandem, the perception would be that the shop is less elitist, so Jo Public might well feel less like a fish out of water if she ventured in. The potential customer base would obviously be greater, and a pound to a penny says that with proper management, the shop should make more money - unless of course the roadies and their MTB counterparts resented the intrusion of the hoi polloi and consequently drifted away ...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I agree - at least acknowledging that there are other forms of cycle would be a good thing. I can't find a dynamo light at any of the bike shops round here.

Actually - I think one of them might have a crummy bottle+bulb based set, but no real dynamo lighting options - compared with the walls of battery based options.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
binsted

Post by binsted »

reohn2 wrote:
danfoto wrote:...... I don't buy this "stock what the customer wants to buy" argument for one minute. IMO it's fatally flawed.

What would you stock?

I am going to be charitable and say there is such a variety of kit available it would be impossible to stock everything, frankly I have given up on shops and tend to buy from the web and why?

Went to Decathalon and Evans looking for a long sleeved top for winter,(as a birthday present) neither had a decent stock if any, both told me it was still summer so the stock was short sleeved !! .................Summer, if only....

Ok so I thought as I had travelled I would get an extra pair of padded shorts, wrong, they both had racks of small and 3XL sizes but no M or L. One told me they get the same number of each size per delivery, hence the large stock of odd sizes, ......wonderful stock control.

I then popped into LBS looking for a pair of gloves to be told they are all in the warehouse and we prefer to sell them on the web, I also wanted a 750ml water bottle and for £4 I had a choice of a High5 or their own brand with name and phone number, I said I did not mind so he gave me the High5 !!!! missing the opportunity to get his advert out there........

If they are relying on the web then there are an awful lot of retailers with the buying power to undercut the LBS with a web site.

Think what you will but I can see why Chain Reaction and Wiggle rule the roost.
Cunobelin

What is it with cycle shops?

Post by Cunobelin »

Don't know if it just me, but if someone was fitting me for a bike, or repairing it, and left me to see someone else, I would be a little miffed!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

danfoto wrote:Sorry, I should have phrased that better. I have many times heard and read the modern mantra "stock what the customer wants to buy", which is apparently taken to mean "stock what most customers buy, most often".

In the case of shops such as the one I'm on about, this seems to mean road bikes and MTBs, upmarket accessories for the same, and go-faster clothing. The net result is not a cycle shop, but rather a purveyor of bikes and accessories catering for those who go cycling in their car.

If such a shop were to also have on display at least one utility bike, a pedelec and a "budget" tandem, the perception would be that the shop is less elitist, so Jo Public might well feel less like a fish out of water if she ventured in. The potential customer base would obviously be greater, and a pound to a penny says that with proper management, the shop should make more money - unless of course the roadies and their MTB counterparts resented the intrusion of the hoi polloi and consequently drifted away ...

I take your point,most shops IMO find their niche and stick to it preferring the reletively high and secure profit margin of the Sportiv and MTB crowd,though I don't think thats the whole story.
I would imagine there to be a fair number of utility bike shops in towns and cities like Cambridge or York.
Cycling in the UK has been in the doldrums for quite a number of years and it's only recently that it's begining to emerge from it's cucoon of nerdy oddball types who cycle,not to mention similar shop owners,and begin to reach the general public,as a result there are a lot of "unusual" people in the cycle trade.
That no way excuses the way some cycle shop owners treat their customers but does remind me of a story I was told by a friend who went into well established cycle shop whilst touring some years back.
The shop was empty and the owner said to my friend "can I help you" he replied "just having a look for the moment thanks" to which the owner said "if you're not going to buy anything you may as well get out" .Nice!
There's a middle ground between the gushing twentysomething shopworker and the type mentioned above,sometimes it can be a hard balance to find unless experienced in dealing with the general public and not being aknowledged on entering a shop(I mean shop not a department store) is the height of bad business IMO.
As you said in your OP a friendly "I'll be with in a moment sir" goes a long way to making a customer feel they,atleast have been aknowledged as another human being in close proximity.Speaking to strangers or passing the time of day doesn't seem to be the norm in UK society anymore sadly,even for two people passing one another on a path in the middle of a field.Which says something about the society we live in generally :?

BTW other than pedelecs* my LBS is such a shop as you mention.

*Pedelecs seem to be emerging as having retail outlets of their own.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

danfoto wrote:"OK ... so if my sister in law, who's in her 40's and needs a bike to ride to work in town comes in, what have you got that might interest her?"

"We do hybrids like this one" says he. "Lots of people ride them. Ideal for getting to work".

The hybrid he's pointing at looks very cool.... .....Whatever.

I don't get it. If you do, please explain :)

What's to explain? It sounds like a normal, small bike shop that stocks a limited selection of bikes in the current styles (but can order others, as required) that caters for a variety of customers. It has a cycling club that welcomes riders of all abilities, which would suggest that they have a practical knowledge of, and actual enthusiasm for, "real world" cycling. They even appear to be able to meet the expectations of customers who go in hoping to find fault with everything! That's versatility for you.
E25
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

binsted wrote:I am going to be charitable and say there is such a variety of kit available it would be impossible to stock everything, frankly I have given up on shops and tend to buy from the web and why?

Went to Decathalon and Evans looking for a long sleeved top for winter,(as a birthday present) neither had a decent stock if any, both told me it was still summer so the stock was short sleeved !! .................Summer, if only....

Ok so I thought as I had travelled I would get an extra pair of padded shorts, wrong, they both had racks of small and 3XL sizes but no M or L. One told me they get the same number of each size per delivery, hence the large stock of odd sizes, ......wonderful stock control.

Ain't it annoying?

I then popped into LBS looking for a pair of gloves to be told they are all in the warehouse and we prefer to sell them on the web, I also wanted a 750ml water bottle and for £4 I had a choice of a High5 or their own brand with name and phone number, I said I did not mind so he gave me the High5 !!!! missing the opportunity to get his advert out there........

doh!
If they are relying on the web then there are an awful lot of retailers with the buying power to undercut the LBS with a web site.

A sign of the times.

Think what you will but I can see why Chain Reaction and Wiggle rule the roost.

CR for me, you can have Wiggle IME expensive and slooooowwww.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Drake

Post by Drake »

Cunobelin wrote:Don't know if it just me, but if someone was fitting me for a bike, or repairing it, and left me to see someone else, I would be a little miffed!

I would agree with you on that . But i worked in the retail side of the motor trade for many years and one of the companies i worked for was very insistent that staff members aknowledged customers when they arrived .
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The cycle shops I frequented in the UK were there for different purposes and carried very different stock.
-the closest was a Cycles UK that mostly sells children's stuff, town bikes, trailers, etc. but also carries a small stock of nicer road bikes and hybrids. They carry a range of clothes, including the biggest stock of women's cycling clothes in the area. They did a decent job at service, but I wouldn't trust them for anything complicated. The gent who ran it is a nice guy who gave me reasonable advice and ordered things for me when I needed.
-next closest was a road racing oriented place. The owners are acquiantances from the cycling community, and as long as I deal with them directly, I could get what I needed. I used them mainly for tyres, wheels and tandem stuff.
-the best, but farthest away was owned by a friend who was happy to do or get whatever I needed and occasionally had to be bullied into taking money for it. :) I bought my last bike from him, and would happily have bought more. He didn't carry much stock of anything, but was happy to order anything. He understands most aspects of cycling and does a lot of work to get people out on bikes in the community.

Other shops I've been to varied as widely. IMO, most bike shops don't really do what their customers want. They do what they think they can make money at. A new shop may find that they have to shift their focus to find business. My biggest frustration is places that don't take me seriously because I am female. The last time I was bike shopping, I came across a couple of places where they seemed to think that I didn't know what I wanted, and tried to sell me a hybrid despite my assurance that I didn't want one (already had one). Part of that is just a shop trying to sell me what they thought they could make money at. But if that was all it was, they would have believed me when I said I didn't want one.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

al_yrpal wrote:Down there in Cornwall cycle shops must be as rare as hens teeth, with all those hills there can't be many superhumans who can tackle them? On all my visits I have never spotted one? :D
Locally, we have two in Saltash and one in Callington ............ and two in Tavistock (West Devon)
Mick F. Cornwall
Benethi

Post by Benethi »

What really gets me is bike shops with big car parks and no bike racks :evil:
"Frankly, I’m suspicious of anyone who has a strong opinion on a complicated issue" - Scott Adams
Photos:
Scott's Travels 2010
Sparky's Travels 2012
Sparky's Travels 2013
:)
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Cycle shops sell what the majority of people purchase in that area, thus getting cash flow. If they do not they go bust.
Why would anybody running a business stock items that might not sell for a long time if ever. This would keep their capitol tied into stuff they do not sell.
So when these shops that stock what a few people purchase close down then people complain.

To me it would appear to stay open they must stock what sells to the majority. At least we can then order stuff from a local shop.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I agree I would not expect someone who was serving me to break off in the middle to talk to another customer... extremely rude IMHO. I thought we waited our turn in Britian.
Cash flow, carrying stock etc must be very difficult for a lot of shops, at least they were prepared to order in.
Clothing as well is a large consumable to keep in stock, it frustrates me that there is so much beautiful ladies clothing on the continent yet hardly any stocked in this country and you should have seen the way Evans had teamed up a ladies' cycle top and shorts earlier this year, they did not match at all.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Cunobelin wrote:Don't know if it just me, but if someone was fitting me for a bike, or repairing it, and left me to see someone else, I would be a little miffed!

and

eileithyia wrote:I agree I would not expect someone who was serving me to break off in the middle to talk to another customer... extremely rude IMHO. I thought we waited our turn in Britian.

Ahem ...

danfoto wrote:
bensonboo wrote:I also much prefer it when if I enter a shop to look around, as you did, the staff DON'T come running but let me look until I want them.

Me too. But acknowledging the punter's presence and then leaving him or her alone to browse is one thing. Patently ignoring them is a different one altogether.

andrew_s wrote:And how disgruntled would you have been if one of them had been attending you, and abandoned you to talk to someone who'd just wandered in or answer a phone call?

Very. But the simple time-honoured way for staff to handle that situation is to wait for a natural break in their conversation with their customer, and just say to the punter "Hello. Somebody will be with you shortly" before returning their attention to the matter in hand. Keeps everybody happy.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

vjosullivan wrote:It has a cycling club that welcomes riders of all abilities, which would suggest that they have a practical knowledge of, and actual enthusiasm for, "real world" cycling.

Maybe, but I'd say it suggests an assumption that the idea of riding your bike in the company of others is an attractive proposition.

And besides, what would you say "real world" cycling is? I ask because I'm by no means sure.