Maps, paper or electronic?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Joe.B

Maps, paper or electronic?

Post by Joe.B »

I’m going to be moving house soon, from Plymouth up to Newcastle. I’m starting to wonder whether it might be better to buy electronic OS maps from MemoryMap rather than a set of traditional OS sheets for the area. I already use a Garmin computer with opensource maps installed & if I want to pre-plan a route I use Bikeroute Toaster. However I always like to carry a set of paper maps with me, especially when I’m just out ‘to see where I end up’ rather than following a specific route.
My question to those who already use OS MemoryMap software is whether or not you find the self printed pages a useful alternative to the traditional OS map.
I’ve tried printing screen shots from Bikeroute Toaster before but in order to achieve the required detail I need to zoom it so much printing becomes impractical as a large number of individual prints would be required. Does printing from MemoryMap produce better results?
I know that good quality large scale road atlas pages are useful for cycling and I often use these on longer trips and Audax rides, but for simply getting out and exploring by bike I think it’s difficult to beat the traditional 1:50,000 OS map.
Mark1978

Re: Maps, paper or electronic?

Post by Mark1978 »

I have 1:50,000 maps for the whole country on my iPhone (Viewranger), very useful to be able to stop somewhere and hit the GPS button and within 30 seconds it tells me where I am. Much less hassle than having to dig a map out of my bag and then figure out where I am. I could if I had the appropriate mounts put the phone on my handlebar and have a scrolling map - but the biggest issue is the battery, it does hammer it and I carry a backup battery pack with me just in case - which does add to weight but makes sure that I have enough power with me, but then I rarely ride more than 2-3 hours at a go so it's not usually an issue.
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

I can't remember the last time I used a paper OS map.

Smartphone covers me for everything; road atlas pages would be sufficient as an emergency backup if really necessary.
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

Mark1978 wrote:I have 1:50,000 maps for the whole country on my...

...Garmin. Do they still make maps out of paper?
E25
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have an up to date Memory Map of the whole UK. I already had some regions but they had an offer. I do print out sections and find them very useful. When you buy the map CD it will also go on your smartphone. So at any time you can wake the phone up to identify your exact position. If we are out walking anywhere I download a local section of the Explorer map because they have greater detail. I also got road maps and higher res maps for France. These were attractively priced and all fit neatly on a Smartphone, but I still use paper printouts. I like Google Maps too because of 'my places' which means you can access loads of info on places on the map. Address, phone number, street view, reviews, great for pubs, restaurants, campsite etc. I do my route planning in Bikeroutetoaster. You can upload routes into Memory Map and access them from a smartphone.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
timmyhiggy

Post by timmyhiggy »

Most shorter rides I scrawl out some place names onto a piece of paper and try and memorise what I can. It usually goes a bit wrong at some point but that's part of the fun! If really lost then I will fire up the phone and have the GPS locate me.
Long rides I will likely have the bar bag on, and will therefore have a proper OS map in a holder so it is always in view and I can do the intended route.
Time and a place for both, I wouldn't use electronic gadgets as the primary source of navigation though, you are too dependant on battery charge that way
stewartpratt

Post by stewartpratt »

timmyhiggy wrote:I wouldn't use electronic gadgets as the primary source of navigation though, you are too dependant on battery charge that way

Easily solved with either (a) a small bar bag or stem pouch containing a USB battery, or (b) a dyno USB charger.

I've done a 36 hour ride with a smartphone plus an external battery, with it logging the route, navigating and posting updates to the Internet every few minutes. There was plenty of juice to spare, and it was far from the largest capacity battery.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Personally I'd merely use a £0.99 road atlas and in this age of expensive 1:50000 maps, would probably check online for specific details of an area if I didn't know the area beforehand. Though if you're feeling like spending money, I'd probably opt for electronic maps.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

http://www.getamap.ordnancesurveyleisure.co.uk/
£20 buys you a year of printing out as many maps as you like and all in the OS usual high standards. They're a nice backup if the GPS decides to be awkward and leaves you stranded miles from anywhere like mine recently did.
They are also routable but the whole system gets slower as you add more waypoints. Plotting a 50 mile route can take hours, literally.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
morzov

Post by morzov »

I use Memory Map with a Garmin Geko. Plan the route on MM and download the waypoints - no map on a Geko just gives you arrow directions.

But often take a paper copy - I use waterproof paper - print both sides and its usually big enough plus the paper lasts and you can use it again.
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

I've just been checking out the Get A Map site, it looks like a useful tool so I might subscribe.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

The best thing with Viewranger, is that althought the upfront cost was expensive (£200 for full GB). That was in 2008, and since then I've had them on my Nokia N73, Nokia N96, Nokia N97, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S without having to pay any extra (apart from downloading the app). I just downloaded updated mapping today for £30.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Joe.B wrote:I've just been checking out the Get A Map site, it looks like a useful tool so I might subscribe.

I can't get to it now because it tries to log me automatically, but before I signed up, there was an option to buy a one off map for about £2-3.
I'd suggest doing that first so you can examine the quality of the maps if you do subscribe. They are good on my printer, but no-where near as good as the print quality of a full size purchased map.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
binsted

Post by binsted »

I went to the IOW a few weeks ago and left the paper map at home, all was going great until we reached Freshwater Bay and I could not get a signal and GPS fix on the I-phone.......... :oops:

Not a problem, the Islands not that big but food for thought.......
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Remember phone signal and GPS fix are not the same thing...