What happenned to this bendy bike ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
martin blain

What happenned to this bendy bike ?

Post by martin blain »

Somebody emailed me this article which is a couple of years old. It shows something that appears to have some bike benefits particularly of easy storage and possibly security.

http://www.tuvie.com/collapsible-bicycl ... vin-scott/

Does anybody know if anything commercially ever happenned? Did it get picked up by a bike manufacturer?
Si

Re: What happenned to this bendy bike ?

Post by Si »

I thought that it was some kind of FE project (but I may be wrong) and that it attracted a raft of reasons why it wasn't a commercial goer, which may have put the designer off.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

He'll need some brakes too...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I think he took a corner too fast and wrapped it round a lamp post. :)
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
whoops

Post by whoops »

What's the point of it? Just a design for the sake of designing.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

whoops wrote:What's the point of it? Just a design for the sake of designing.

Easy locking I think. But all design looks as though it is for the sake of design initially.

With a braze on ring front and back you can lock it up with just a padlock - even if there aren't any convenient stands with attached chains....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
whoops

Post by whoops »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
whoops wrote:What's the point of it? Just a design for the sake of designing.

Easy locking I think. But all design looks as though it is for the sake of design initially.

With a braze on ring front and back you can lock it up with just a padlock - even if there aren't any convenient stands with attached chains....

I was basing my thoughts on the principal of "Necessity is the mother of invention."