About toxic armpits

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mr_mark_sid

Re: About toxic armpits

Post by mr_mark_sid »

I have had this problem and also a problem of irritation in hot countries or in warm winter clothes.

Given that the problem is related to bacteria growing on hairs and that the self-same hairs chafe when arm pits are hot, I have removed the hairs. Shaving my arm pits means I have neither a smell, nor irritation problem and I do not need deodorant. I shave them once a week in the shower - bish-bosh, problem solved,

m
horizon

Post by horizon »

Whippet wrote:I stopped using deodorants 18 months ago. Just a case of taking more care when showering now. Somehow society survived before those "uh ho B.O." adverts in the 1970's made us all feel guilty about natural human smells.

Just in case anyone is in any doubt about the role of marketing in creating a fear of body odour, here is their latest attempt with female body hair in China (though I doubt anyone is going to admit that their concern is purely psychosomatic). It is an extraordinary read:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... iry#r=read
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Graham

Post by Graham »

danfoto wrote:I'm a sweaty person at the best of times, but now I'm back to my windproof or indeed waterproof jackets, it's stinky armpit time again.

Given that mine appear to have got sensitive in my old age and that regular use of a bog-standard aerosol antiperspirant/deodorant now seems to cause mild local dermatitis/eczema, can any kind soul suggest a product which will solve the problem - without causing me to smell like a tart's handbag instead?

What happened, having received our advice ??
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I was riding past a bus shelter last Tuesday, when I could smell some kind of perfume,as I passed there was a teenager lad spraying his trainers(whilst still wearing them)with Lynx deoderant,obviously in an attempt to lure unsuspecting females to fall at his feet :?
The power of marketing :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

reohn2 wrote:I was riding past a bus shelter last Tuesday, when I could smell some kind of perfume,as I passed there was a teenager lad spraying his trainers(whilst still wearing them)with Lynx deoderant,obviously in an attempt to lure unsuspecting females to fall at his feet :?
The power of marketing :shock:

Back in the 70s as a teenager I was twice given a bottle of something horrible - once it was Brut(e), another time "High Karate" .. I probably used that on my socks / shoes too. :vomit smiley:
I don't remember fantasising that girls would come flocking, it was more that I thought it smelled better than my socks.

I find the current Lynx advert to be positively offensive - on account of the apparent celebration of road carnage.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gentlegreen wrote:Back in the 70s as a teenager I was twice given a bottle of something horrible - once it was Brut(e), another time "High Karate" .. I probably used that on my socks / shoes too. :vomit smiley:

Been there recieved those,binned them off :D
I don't remember fantasising that girls would come flocking, it was more that I thought it smelled better than my socks.

I found if I washed mine occasionally it softened them up a bit and they didn't stick to things :shock:
I find the current Lynx advert to be positively offensive - on account of the apparent celebration of road carnage.

Me too,I think it's my age :?
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

At the beginning of a certain year in secondary school, my children (and all others) were given (not offered) a free sample of "Clearasil" for spots. The irresponsibility of the teachers is beyond reprehensible IMV.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

horizon wrote:At the beginning of a certain year in secondary school, my children (and all others) were given (not offered) a free sample of "Clearasil" for spots. The irresponsibility of the teachers is beyond reprehensible IMV.

Why,did it not work? :roll:
W H Auden
margyparker

Post by margyparker »

Hairy pits are disgusting to look at on males or females. Fortunately most females have cottoned on to this fact. It is not a stretch of the imagination to realise that where there are bacteria - hairs are a great place to colonise and swarm over.

My pits definitely are less smelly when shaved but best when epilated. I use balm made from Shea butter and coconut oil blend on my pits twice a day and all is well. Stinky pits are revolting especially when they are stewed. *bleurgh*.

Thanks for the instruction for the deo stick post - lol a lot. :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

margyparker wrote:Hairy pits are disgusting to look at on males or females. Fortunately most females have cottoned on to this fact. It is not a stretch of the imagination to realise that where there are bacteria - hairs are a great place to colonise and swarm over.

My pits definitely are less smelly when shaved but best when epilated. I use balm made from Shea butter and coconut oil blend on my pits twice a day and all is well. Stinky pits are revolting especially when they are stewed. *bleurgh*.

Thanks for the instruction for the deo stick post - lol a lot. :D

I think God had good reasons for making us how we are :wink:
There is really no need to spend time and money modifying oneself, especially using strong smells, that is unpleasant and may trigger allergies
Some hair colours for example are borderline toxic and may not be used by juveniles, or more than a couple of times by adults
It is just a way to make money, vast numbers of people work in nail studios, as tattooists, etc :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Holy thread resurrection batman 8) :lol:
I sweat much much more on my head than anywhere else
People who don't like hairy armpits should refrain from sticking their noses in too close or averting their eyes in the warmer months :lol: If you don't want to use deo or some scent, meh, who cares, there are worse things in life, we get too het up about how people smell to us, we've just gotten used to the cover everything up with a scent so anything natural 'pongs'.

I'm more offended by the smell from the tyre factory down the road, the awful smell of melted plastic at the plastic factory and the sometimes heavy whiff of a spliff or two at a set of lights emanating from a car.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

One of my colleagues from Africa told me that one of the things that was hardest to get used to about living in Europe is that no one has a unique smell. It was, apparently, part of culture when he was growing up to know people's smells, and Europeans smell of soaps, perfumes, and deoderants and not themselves.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

I find deodorant rocks good. you apply it to wet skin and it forms an antibiotic layer so you sweat but don't smell. I haven't managed to sweat it off yet and I do sweat somewhat

menthol preparations stop you sweating which might be more use.
mjr

Post by mjr »

crazydave789 wrote:I find deodorant rocks good. you apply it to wet skin and it forms an antibiotic layer so you sweat but don't smell. I haven't managed to sweat it off yet and I do sweat somewhat

menthol preparations stop you sweating which might be more use.

Any particular products? Are these the sort of things found in health food shops? They seemed similar to what the much-hated Lush sold.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

horizon wrote:PS This is definitely a cycling issue as I'm pretty sure it affects people's willingness to cycle to work etc.

Do cyclists on average really smell any worse than those who climb into mobile greenhouses each morning? I know many cool themselves by burning yet more dead animal/plant juice but it takes time for that to have an effect and few motorists get the same cooling airflow from movement as cycling or walking.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.