Breeches/pluses?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
andymiller

Re: Breeches/pluses?

Post by andymiller »

Si wrote:I sometimes use the c21st equivalent....3/4 length baggies

They're not really though: most three-quarter length baggies look like trousers that have had 30 centimetres cut off, rather than being properly-tailored to finish below the knee. Have a look at women's capri shorts to see what I mean.
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

All the stuff mentioned in the OP; I want all that, I want it so bad.

I'd love to be able to have clothing that is comfortable for riding and non-riding, and oh-so-stylish too!

When I've lost enough weight I'm going to invest in a big collection of tweed clothing. Only problem is, dry cleaning; I don't want to forever be dependent on the dry cleaners, and stuff that is used for cycling in needs to be washed a lot more often than other stuff doesn't it.

Is there any alternative way of washing all that sort of stuff? Hand washing is the first thing that springs to mind, I wouldn't begrudge doing a lot of hand washing, so what would be the best method of doing it.
Dynamite_funk

Post by Dynamite_funk »

+1 for the Tudor sport pluses!

Spa cycles do them plus some lovely argyle socks, really comfy and look ace!!
fossil

Post by fossil »

err yes I do wear tweed breeks and argile socks when out on my Gov'nor
Attachments
199368_518489081498037_151016138_n (1) (Medium).jpg
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

JohnW wrote:
NUKe wrote:..............being in my late teens ........... I was 30 inch waist, I am now a 35 ..................

Is that all? - 35" - that's a schoolboy figure - just you wait a few years longer young man.

thanks John made my day.
NUKe

Post by JohnW »

NUKe wrote:
JohnW wrote:
NUKe wrote:..............being in my late teens ........... I was 30 inch waist, I am now a 35 ..................

Is that all? - 35" - that's a schoolboy figure - just you wait a few years longer young man.

thanks John made my day.

You're welcome - my pleasure.
helmbarrie

Post by helmbarrie »

I got one of those peaked caps from my brother for Christmas last year. It is a Rapha and I think they are expensive but is really brilliant. Keeps my head warm, does not blow off and would fit under a helmet.
HPFlashman

Post by HPFlashman »

When I was cycling regularly many moons ago, I had two pairs of Fjellreven cotton brecches that was the normally go to cycling gear combined with high wollen socks up if cold, down if warm. Still have them, but due to the high moisture content in my wardrobe, they have shrunk and dont fit anymore. :mrgreen:

Good tread, glad to see that there are more fellows with a lycra loathing. Must try to get hold of a replacement pair or two before spring. I also have a Walz tweed cap somewhere between San Diego and Norway.
Best regards

Harry
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Not being able to make it the London event we staged our own..............

A touch of tweed elegance to cycling :-)

http://youtu.be/1S94MunaTT4

Ta

S
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I remember reading an article in "Cycling" sometime in the fifties.
It was by a tourist who had been cycling in Germany in the early thirties and had come across a political rally being addressed by someone called Hitler.
The tourist was pointed out to Hitler after his speech and they had a discussion about cycling.
Hitler was of the opinion that breeches were preferable to shorts for cycling.
Jay-Eye

Post by Jay-Eye »

NUKe wrote:I wear pluses but not all the time. i have a pair of Harris tweed ones when i want to cycle and have attend somewhere smart for example a council meeting, I have a pair of Moleskins ones for less formal occasions they are great when the weather turns snotty, if I want to go somewhere on the bike and don't want to have to sit around in lycra. I also have a tweed Jacket. I don't own a deer stalker Wife wouldn't let me, but either a flat cap, straw fedora or wax cotton hat, I also have a range of Walz caps. I have a pair of black cycle shoes but tend to use boots and flat pedals on the occasions that I wear breaks.
So hopefully you are suitably amused. :D :D

We could be twins, Nuke! ;0)

Only trouble is, I do find tweed rather warm for cycling in. Hence I'm more often to be found wearing the ubiquitous Craghoppers, tucked in my socks!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

In the 1970s and 80s we used to tour with breeches, polycotton shirts, woolly pullover and greenspot-style jacket. In addition cheap plastic capes and sou'westers for rain.

The breeches were of fairly light-weight wool and terylene mix which was hard-wearing, quick-drying, machine-washable and even permanent press! For my husband I cut down a pair of bought trousers and made my own out of some gents suiting fabric. They were very practical as you could adjust the ventilation with the knee-straps.

These days I like the stretchiness of lycra but feel a bit of an idiot in it. I'm moving towards Craghoppers for shorts and trousers, and put up with lycra tops for the sake of the very handy rear pockets. Alas they don't look as smart as the tailored shirts.

I still take a cape for particularly torrential rain but have retired the sou'wester... :lol:
scottg

Post by scottg »

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++