Breeches/pluses?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattsccm

Breeches/pluses?

Post by mattsccm »

Just for amusement (not laughing or negative) how many people here still ride in breeches/plus twos?
Not 3/4 lycra but something stylish with nice long socks. The traditional touring cyclist. Maybe you have moved on to the Tudorsport bottoms with stripes on the cuff. Who still uses the acrylic peaked caps with a turnup for the ears?
Leather shoes with metal plates anyone?
A cape?
Or even a smart jacket and tie!
Si

Re: Breeches/pluses?

Post by Si »

I sometimes use the c21st equivalent....3/4 length baggies with the hems tucked into long socks at the knee. I would wear a pair of tweed plusses and quite happily if it wasn't for the price of them!!!!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

mattsccm wrote:Just for amusement (not laughing or negative) how many people here still ride in breeches/plus twos?
Not 3/4 lycra but something stylish with nice long socks. The traditional touring cyclist. Maybe you have moved on to the Tudorsport bottoms with stripes on the cuff. Who still uses the acrylic peaked caps with a turnup for the ears?
Leather shoes with metal plates anyone?
A cape?
Or even a smart jacket and tie!

Far fewer than the number who ride wearing sunglasses in the rain, or with a 52 tooth chainring they can't turn over, I imagine... :wink:
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I wear pluses but not all the time. i have a pair of Harris tweed ones when i want to cycle and have attend somewhere smart for example a council meeting, I have a pair of Moleskins ones for less formal occasions they are great when the weather turns snotty, if I want to go somewhere on the bike and don't want to have to sit around in lycra. I also have a tweed Jacket. I don't own a deer stalker Wife wouldn't let me, but either a flat cap, straw fedora or wax cotton hat, I also have a range of Walz caps. I have a pair of black cycle shoes but tend to use boots and flat pedals on the occasions that I wear breaks.
So hopefully you are suitably amused. :D :D
NUKe

Post by mattsccm »

I didn't mean amused in any negative way so much as interested . My inclination is to dig out my old climbing breeches and wondered just who would agree with me. When I was at college in Bangor in the early 80's many of us wore our climbing trews with long socks. Then again we were on an outdoor ed course with a fanatical cyclist and international mountain guide as a head of department.
Now I do p myself at those with dark glasses inthe dark
simon1

Post by simon1 »

Yes, I have a cut down pair of wool trousers, (or when its colder, full length ones with long wool socks over the top), nice linen shirt, beret, neck scarf, etc. I can't cope with the lycra gear. My only 'proper' cycling wear is a yellow waterproof top.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

mattsccm wrote:..............Maybe you have moved on to the Tudorsport bottoms with stripes on the cuff........................

Yeah - I wear those in winter - very practical, warm enough, comfortable and hard-wearing. The downside is that if they get wet, they stay wet for quite a while. In less cold, but not warm, weather I can dispense with the long socks and still protect my knees. They're good stuff. And - there's a double seat but no padding around the bilges to generate too much sweat and the consequences of too much sweat. They're easily washable and dry overnight.

Right - I've talked myself into another pair.
Russcoles

Post by Russcoles »

I found some tweed plus twos on ebay for £4, great for winter. Unfortunately I am allergic to wool so can only wear them over longjohns and long socks. I also got myself some moleskin ones for less chilly days.
if you try and find them on ebay, a little tip is to search for Breeks as you will get more results.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Breeks . funny the way a regional pronounciation has taken over :lol:
The shooting types have all sorts of fancy ones.
I know remember as spell at college when as a rough tough OEd dept member all sorts of unsuitable gear was the thing to wear. Hence me wearing a heavy tweed jacket for cycling. It was alright in the winter and it irritated said department head.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

I have a nice yellow cape, courtesy of Messrs Lidl, and jolly good it is too when caught by a shower on the Tesco run 8)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mattsccm wrote:Now I do p myself at those with dark glasses inthe dark

I've worn tinted goggles in the dark - orange is great tint in the snow - makes life much nicer, no glare, excellent contrast.

I'm sure I could see much further and clearer than any of the people on four wheels, in addition to being in better control of my vehicle and faster!
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

mattsccm wrote:I didn't mean amused in any negative way so much as interested . My inclination is to dig out my old climbing breeches and wondered just who would agree with me. When I was at college in Bangor in the early 80's many of us wore our climbing trews with long socks. Then again we were on an outdoor ed course with a fanatical cyclist and international mountain guide as a head of department.
Now I do p myself at those with dark glasses inthe dark

Now I see where you are coming from. My own thought patterns were along similar lines, We must be of a similar age. When looking for something non lycra, I thought of my old climbing britches from the late 70's and thought they would be perfect, but being in my late teens at this time I was 30 inch waist, I am now a 35 so they weren't going to fit. So I bought another couples of Pairs from the internet.
NUKe

Post by JohnW »

NUKe wrote:..............being in my late teens ........... I was 30 inch waist, I am now a 35 ..................

Is that all? - 35" - that's a schoolboy figure - just you wait a few years longer young man.
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

My cycling wear includes a pair of tweed plus two's, as well as several pairs of more modern MTB baggy 3/4 length shorts. These are worn with long wool argyle socks. 8)

When it's raining, I have my Carradice cape to keep me dry...

Gavin
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Tudor Sports plusses here, with braces - black or red socks 8)
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"