How is Karrimor these days?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Nettled Shin

How is Karrimor these days?

Post by Nettled Shin »

Sports Direct has Karrimor Event waterproof jackets for £99. They look good, but I noticed that the lips of the waterproof zips didn't meet in places. I held off buying one because I suspected that it was mutton dressed as lamb, like the rest of the stuff they make. But most Goretex jacket makers are meant to meet a W.L.Gore standard in order to be able to use the fabric. Would it be the same with Event, and have I judged the jacket harshly?
Alex L

Re: How is Karrimor these days?

Post by Alex L »

I have a Karrimor rucksack. Used daily over 6 months. The front pocket had split at the seams and so merged with the main part of the bag. Some of the plastic bits fell off but not a major problem. Some fraying occurred.

That being said, the outer material was strong and waterproof and the straps comfortable. As for the Jacket, I don't know. They don't tend to make complete rubbish but not sure I'd invest so much into the brand.
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

I have bought a couple of the 'cheap' Karrimor clothing items from Sports Direct. They now appear to be marketed as Muddy Fox. The cycling Jerseys http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-lo ... e=63506790 are actually pretty good and not really in any way inferior to items costing 3 times as much. Whilst the colours are slightly garish, you at least embarrass any driver claiming SMIDSY. The cycling jackets are less of a bargain. They are fine in that they are a cycling cut and are rain resistant, but they are not in any way breathable and as a result, any effort will result in a soaking whether it's raining or not! The bike mitts are padded and serviceable, on the whole, pretty good value.

When it comes to buying more expensive items such as the OPs jacket, I think that I would compare the jacket to more expensive brands. I have top brand outdoor clothing which doesn't meet expectations which cost considerably more than the Sports Direct brands.
Last edited by hexhome on 24 Oct 2012, 9:36am, edited 1 time in total.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

bogmyrtle wrote:post removed by moderator

That would explain why my 32 year old rucksack is still going strong, after almost daily use over all that time then
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

A Sports Direct shop manager told me that they owned the Karrimor and Muddy Fox brands. Like some of the old bike names the current products bear no relation to the products of yesteryear.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
hexhome

Post by hexhome »

honesty wrote:Post removed by moderator

You might want to be careful how you describe any product owned by Mike Ashley! Using that word on a public forum is very brave unless you can back it up with fact! I have no connection at all with Sports Direct apart from living in the North East and as a customer. I think that your description is going too far.

There are questions raised about the ethics of the source of material for his garments. The BBC was investigating factories in the far east.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Ah, yes, lets qualify my statement with that is my personal view and in no way a full description of any Karrimor product I have owned.

In fact all the Karrimor stuff I've owned has been absolutely fantastic, but then its all been early to Mid nineties stuff.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

There's a long and interesting thread about Karrimor and the event jacket here http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear ... 51829.html
Apparently the jacket is a climber's fit - a short cut in length, whereas we cyclists benefit from the back being a bit longer.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

With regards quality control of eVent fabrics, when I was talking to them, they really wanted me to manufacture in their approved factories in the Far East, although they would "consider" UK manufacturing. I don't know though, if their quality control extends to things like zips, or just the fabric and how it is taped.

With regards calling things rubbish, is that not a personal opinion and a subjective comment, i.e. it's not a distortion of a fact or an untruth. It may be wrong, but a genuine perception gained from one person's experiences? Any legal minds out there?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

When I started cycling in '75 I went through several sets of panniers and none of them lasted very long. Then I bought a pair of Karrimor panniers in the mid/late 70's and I still have them now and they are doing stirling service. Looking a bit scruffy of course, but the stitching is fine, the fabric shows no sign of going thin and the plastic clips work perfectly. Money well spent I'd say.
Nettled Shin

Post by Nettled Shin »

CREPELLO wrote:There's a long and interesting thread about Karrimor and the event jacket here http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear ... 51829.html
Apparently the jacket is a climber's fit - a short cut in length, whereas we cyclists benefit from the back being a bit longer.

I thought when I looked at this jacket that the back was longer than the front by a few inches, which I thought would be excellent for cycling, and it can be quite irritating having a jacket bend on your thighs with each pedal stroke. I suppose some people sit on their coat tails when cycling, in which case a longer walking-length jacket would be better.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Nettled Shin wrote:
CREPELLO wrote:There's a long and interesting thread about Karrimor and the event jacket here http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear ... 51829.html

I thought when I looked at this jacket that the back was longer than the front by a few inches, which I thought would be excellent for cycling, and it can be quite irritating having a jacket bend on your thighs with each pedal stroke. I suppose some people sit on their coat tails when cycling, in which case a longer walking-length jacket would be better.
If your observation is true, then it would indeed be a good bit of cycle kit.
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Karrimor used to be a premium brand.

Now it isn't.

It's as simple as that.
Russcoles

Post by Russcoles »

I have had some Karrimor cycling gear. I found it to be rather poor quality and ill fitting. Then again, I bought some karrimor walking shoes to cycle in and found them to be extremely good despite the low price. I would guess therefore that the Karrimor brand is being used on goods made by different companies and as such the quality varies.