why golfing garb trumps cycling attire?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Nettled Shin

why golfing garb trumps cycling attire?

Post by Nettled Shin »

I attempt to appear normal when cycling with a purpose, so try to choose clothes that are socially acceptable whilst having the usual quick drying/wind resistant etc properties.
Time and time again, I end up buying golfing clothes. Apart from the risk of looking like Ronnie Corbett, the materials and design often seem more sophisticated. Cycling gear is invariably a garish colour and made of skin-tight spandex, as though training/fitness are the only reasons for owning a bicycle. I don't think I've ever seen anything a bit preppy in the way of cycling clothing that isn't ridiculously expensive. Even the gloves are better. How can it have all gone so wrong? Are there two massive production lines in China that have become crossed, or is Vicky Pollard a senior buyer for a cycling brand?
Vorpal

Re: why golfing garb trumps cycling attire?

Post by Vorpal »

:lol:

I wear plenty of golfing clothes for cycling. I have two pairs of trousers that I wear for shopping, eating out, etc. They look smart-casual, but they are warm, shower proof and comfortable to cycle in.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Surely golf exsists so men can wear ridiculous clothing,it serves no other purpose,other than spoil vast swathes of countryside :?
At least cycling has a use when dressed ridiculously :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
R_nger

Post by R_nger »

reohn2 wrote:Surely golf exsists so men can wear ridiculous clothing,it serves no other purpose,other than spoil vast swathes of countryside :?
At least cycling has a use when dressed ridiculously :D

I like ridiculous clothing, it embarrasses the children. By playing golf and cycling I can maximise those opportunities.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Nettled Shin

Since it seems you are able to meet your requirements, even if it's from another pastime, I can't see what's your grouse. :? Talking of grouse, there's plenty of outdoor clothing in discreet colours for so-called country sports, and for watching birds more generally. A bit of research reveals all sorts of stuff made for other activities which might meet cycling requirements. eg capes seem to be popular among men who favour traditional Scottish dress, especially pipers and when I last looked a smart black version in Goretex was available.

It seems futile wishing to impose your own norms on other cyclists.
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

reohn2 wrote:Surely golf exsists so men can wear ridiculous clothing,it serves no other purpose

Looking silly is part of it for some, but really golf is about collecting things. It's an excuse to buy 14 different bits of advanced materials plus a bag to keep them in with lots of pockets to hide other stuff that the pro. convinces you are essential. Then, six months later, to replace it all (because the pro. tells you he has some better, far more expensive, stuff) and sling your old stuff in the shed with all its predecessors. So not all that dissimilar to manycyclists.

reohn2 wrote:other than spoil vast swathes of countryside

This I disagree with. Golf courses can justifiably be viewed by some as a waste of space, but no more so than I take the same view of shopping centres and amusement parks. I find most golf courses, once matured, are very pretty places and take pleasure in walking across them; they are generally far more interesting to look at than the giant hedgeless wheat field they may have supplanted. Obviously I wouldn't be tempted to spoil the walk by dragging a bag of metal and chasing a little ball.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Around here, golf courses have become trojan horses, used by housing developers to invade the countryside surrounding cities and towns by stealth.
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

thirdcrank wrote:Around here, golf courses have become trojan horses, used by housing developers to invade the countryside surrounding cities and towns by stealth.

I can see that that would be annoying although, assuming the loss of greenbelt was ultimately assured through the stealth and persistence of developers (we've lost before we start, so why fight? Now that's how to succeed in life!), a golf course could be a more pleasing intermediate use of land to the status around North Bristol and North Basingstoke (two areas with which I am familiar, I am sure it happens everywhere) where land is clearly already "banked" by developers so continues to be half-heartedly cultivated and is left in a very untidy state until, two of three years before planning consent is likely, all cultivation stops and the land becomes a haven for fly-tipping and illegal motor cycling such that when building starts it is a relief to local residents.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

goatwarden wrote:
reohn2 wrote: I find most golf courses, once matured, are very pretty places and take pleasure in walking across them; they are generally far more interesting to look at than the giant hedgeless wheat field they may have supplanted.

Never mind wheat fields, what about SSSIs? :evil:
"42"
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Nettled Shin wrote:Cycling gear is invariably a garish colour and made of skin-tight spandex, as though training/fitness are the only reasons for owning a bicycle. I don't think I've ever seen anything a bit preppy in the way of cycling clothing that isn't ridiculously expensive. Even the gloves are better. How can it have all gone so wrong? Are there two massive production lines in China that have become crossed, or is Vicky Pollard a senior buyer for a cycling brand?

Road cycling isn't the only form of cycling.

Most mountain bike gear is understated, verging on drab. You're more likely to see an MTBer in ridiculously baggy shorts than spandex. But OK, preppy it's not.
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

goatwarden wrote: So not all that dissimilar to manycyclists.

Agreed! :D
reohn2 wrote:other than spoil vast swathes of countryside

This I disagree with. Golf courses can justifiably be viewed by some as a waste of space, but no more so than I take the same view of shopping centres and amusement parks

I agree about shopping centres and amusement parks being a bit of an eyesore but they're usually attached to equally ugly motorways and cities,though these places take up far less space per populuation density,they're free to enter and serve a purpose to a far wider range of people within that populus.

I find most golf courses, once matured, are very pretty places

If you like manicured lawns,carefully laid out tree "islands" and the occasional sand pit,then yes,personally I prefere something a bit wilder and less organised and without the flags :wink: .
and take pleasure in walking across them;

If you can without being ejected for trespass or being clouted with a small white ball :shock: .

they are generally far more interesting to look at than the giant hedgeless wheat field they may have supplanted.

Yes but again the wheat fields or any other arable field FTM,can IMO look quite atractive but more than that,they serve to feed the nation and so are a necessary "evil"
Obviously I wouldn't be tempted to spoil the walk by dragging a bag of metal and chasing a little ball.

I agree,during a conversation sat a around a table,I was asked what my handicap was,(how the chap assumed I was a golfer I'll never know),but he was a bit taken aback when said it was mainly getting the ball in little windmill :wink:

If you want to see a real ugly golf course go to Nefyn North Wales,where a beautiful headland has been manicured to within an inch of it's(naturel)life :twisted:
And for balance I nice one is a municipal course at Haigh Hall near to Wigan where it blends in quite well with what once was cleared of trees some two hundred years ago by the local lord so he could see down the hill into Wigan,which he all but owned :) .
BTW the Cheshire courses seem to be stuggling a bit at tthe mo they are all advertising their reduced fees at their entances,and offering coffee and teas etc in the club houses that were once quite exclusive and for members only :)
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

squeaker wrote:
goatwarden wrote:
reohn2 wrote: I find most golf courses, once matured, are very pretty places and take pleasure in walking across them; they are generally far more interesting to look at than the giant hedgeless wheat field they may have supplanted.

Never mind wheat fields, what about SSSIs? :evil:

Those aren't my words and I agree with what's being said by the people of Aberdeenshire ,the likes of Mr Trump are an obscenity to the human race IMO.
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:Surely golf exsists so men can wear ridiculous clothing,it serves no other purpose,other than spoil vast swathes of countryside :?

You are not wrong :D
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I forgot to ask earlier :oops: what does "preppy" mean here? Without really knowing, I'd sort of assumed it was an american term for the kind of togs clean-living American students used to wear, portrayed in a stereotypical sort of way by Burt Ward in Batman films when he was in civvies (ie when he wasn't being Robin.) Everybody in Happy Days except the Fonz, Olivia NJ and her chums in Grease.

Apart from the Caped Crusader connection, why would anybody want to dress like that to ride a bike in 2112? :?

And come to think of it, both Batman and his assistant wore tights.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:And come to think of it, both Batman and his assistant wore tights.

Which proves that theres no a lot wrong with Lycra :D

I have to confess to Googling "preppy" myself to get the correct meaning,I could in no way be described as "preppy","ridiculas old farty" maybe but never "preppy" :)
W H Auden