Buying on forums

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sooper8

Buying on forums

Post by Sooper8 »

Just want to ask...I am looking at doing a deal for a bike on another forum.
The seller is in Europe, I'm in the UK.
I am not a long time member of that forum.
Is it accepted procedure on bike forums to ask for references etc? I've checked the guys other posts and he sells things and has no negative posts.Therefore I don't want to offend.
I buy and sell on other forums (none bike related), but I'm a bit out of my knowledge area, as the forums I buy and sell on I've been a member for quite a while and know the names and their reputations.
So, any words of advice on this?
PS do any of you guys get hit for import tax on the way into UK , even on vintage bikes?
meic

Re: Buying on forums

Post by meic »

If the bike is from that part of Europe which is in the EEC then there is no import tax and should be no VAT or equivalent unless they are a dealer.

You are taking a chance by doing the deal but it is one I would probably take.
There have been disputes between forum members about purchases on this forum and I wonder if they would have been deleted by the moderators or if they would still show up on a search.
If you are willing to work through possibly thousands of posts. :oops:
Yma o Hyd
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Pay them with PayPal (the only feasible way anyway?).

There's no import tax if you buy from somewhere within the EU - they'll charge you VAT at the appropriate rate in their country.
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Thanks for answers, especially about the import tax.
It isn't this forum but it is a fairly big bike forum.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

no extra vat will be added as the item is from a private seller so even if the goods are new the VAT for that country has already been paid. There is no upper limit (relevant to bikes anyway) for an import in terms of duty for EU countries.
Regarding your worries, look at it from a sellers POV, unknown buyer etc even with paypal and all its so called protection sometimes sellers can get done up like a kipper.
Get a fully insured courier, you can use a UK based courier such as interparcel/P4D/parcel2go etc to import it for you, they'll give you multiple quotes from various carriers. Parcelforce euro economy can be very cheap as can DHL 48.
check to see if sending wheels seperately works out cheaper as packages are charged by volume rather than weight and some bike boxes are classified as 'oversize' with additional charges.

when you eventually get it check the package fully before signing it for it.