Hang a bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
daveanmucker

Hang a bike

Post by daveanmucker »

Does anyone have strong opinion against hanging up bikes for storage in a shed. We now have an extra bike so looking to reduce the amount of space they take up in the shed was thinking of hanging them from the shed roof on brackets and the front wheel what do you reckon?
thirdcrank

Re: Hang a bike

Post by thirdcrank »

I use plastic coated hooks - the ones that look a bit like a "?" Twoo per bike.

Mine are screwed directly into the joists of the garage roof. The best way I've found is to have them roughly the wheelbase of the relevant bike apart.

If you do use this method, the secret to getting the bies up there is to offer the back wheel first. If you try it the other way you have the steering to contend with as well ast he weight of the bike.

We have had a few threads before about hanging bikes on ceilings and walls.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Here are a couple of the previous threads. The second one has some further links to other threads...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66566&p=568265
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66114&p=564457
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Standard practise, and ensures you don't store a bike on flat tyres.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Yes it's fine. This is how my bike is stored.
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

I've got a 10' x 6' shed with the door in the middle of the long wall. Four bikes are hung vertically by their front wheels along one of the short walls (which is reinforced by a wooden frame that takes their weight). By hanging the bikes at different heights (alternately higher or lower by about 18") there's - just - enough room that they don't interfere with each other or the door.
E25
daveanmucker

Post by daveanmucker »

Thanks everybody for the reassurance I didn't want to hang the bikes if there was any danger of damaging the wheels, cheers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

At our last house, I stowed our bikes in a back room with a high ceiling. I used a pulley and rope system with a hook on the end that connected to the saddles' rails. All easily bought from a hardware shop.

When hoisted up, the bikes' wheels were at head height and well out of the way.
Mick F. Cornwall
nez

Post by nez »

Mick F wrote:At our last house, I stowed our bikes in a back room with a high ceiling. I used a pulley and rope system with a hook on the end that connected to the saddles' rails. All easily bought from a hardware shop.

When hoisted up, the bikes' wheels were at head height and well out of the way.

Given the present weather I expect you mean 'at head height and well out of the water.' I do hope you and any other members down there don't suffer in present conditions - it looks horrendous.
simonr

Post by simonr »

Here's a short film made by British Rail and the CTC in 1955 about cycle touring. Note the use of rubber hooks to hang bikes on the train:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw&feature=share