Fill That Hole - Report a Ford?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Alex L

Fill That Hole - Report a Ford?

Post by Alex L »

The road near our house is in need of repair. I'd estimate there are about 100 potholes and in some places, too many to report at least. When we do report the road conditions, they send someone to fix them and they seem just to pick random ones. Half the time, they don't clean first and compact tar onto mud. Then it gets driven over and comes out in clumps!

Anyway, whilst I understand they are unlikely to fix this, can I report there being a stream flowing over the road using this site? The stream used to go through a pipe under the road but now has clogged and simply runs through the road (wet feet). The other direction is muddier.

Also, you have to state a road name but the road doesn't have one!
gordy

Re: Fill That Hole - Report a Ford?

Post by gordy »

I've reported a minor lane covered in hawthorn hedge-trimmings... I don't know if the report worked, but it was swept by the next day.

Does the site need a road name? I'd suggest just using a postcode or entering "unknown."
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Reporting it certainly won't do any harm. Presumably the culvert has been blocked.
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

I expect it varies depending on your council but I have often reported concerns with the roads near where I live (loose / broken kerb stones, holes, etc.) on-line and they have usually been attended to within a few days.

My local council (South Gloucestershire) has a good website with ability to report problems directly to their "Streetcare" department.

I would hope that something like a blocked culvert would be attended to very quickly both from the point of view of safety and that its repair now could prevent need for more substantial work in the future. I would also hope that the council would welcome such information.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Staffordshire's online problem reporting is here: http://localview.staffordshire.gov.uk/l ... spx?step=1

Potholes will be "Road", I'd put the flooding under "Drainage"
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

andrew_s wrote:Staffordshire's online problem reporting is here: http://localview.staffordshire.gov.uk/l ... spx?step=1

Potholes will be "Road", I'd put the flooding under "Drainage"

Thank you :)
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

I know the roads around here were pretty much destroyed in our recent floods :( there`s a river running down the hill by me,now happily freezing over to add to my fun ride to work :roll:
I`m def too old for this!
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

Highways agency van was parked up the other day. That's a start :D
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Alex L wrote:Highways agency van was parked up the other day. That's a start :D

We have a river across our road most of the year round since the farmer turned the back 2 fields over to turf production. With all the large stones taken out and the surface smooth as a snooker table , it just runs straights in to the road.
Other week when it was frosty, I parked car and it just slid backwards down hill.
ps I'm in Staffordshire too

pps on Staffs reporting page, you may not need a road name, just type in postcode
Alex L

Post by Alex L »

Sooper8 wrote:We have a river across our road most of the year round since the farmer turned the back 2 fields over to turf production. With all the large stones taken out and the surface smooth as a snooker table , it just runs straights in to the road.
Other week when it was frosty, I parked car and it just slid backwards down hill.
ps I'm in Staffordshire too

pps on Staffs reporting page, you may not need a road name, just type in postcode

Good to see someone else from Staffordshire here :)

Anyway, problem now gone. A bit of water trickles through but it is in a dip. No huge puddles that make my car float :shock: