Buying on e-bay

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pstallwood

Re: Buying on e-bay

Post by pstallwood »

Sorry I did not make it clear - it was more a rhetorical question. I know you can't get better title than the seller.

It appears to me that in some cases the "seller" will on the face of it appear to have good title as they have a receipt and a plausible story . I am convinced that in many cases they don't as it the bike is actually owned by the company they work for.

I can't see that in a lot of cases that you can be confident that a bike under, say, 2 years old with a RRP of under £1000 is not owned by somebody other than the seller even if they have a receipt etc.

Peter S
gaz

Post by gaz »

pete75 wrote:Only thing I have to add to the above is if buying something over £100 and paying via paypal use a credit not a debit card - you then get something called section 75 protection - details here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shoppi ... hases#what

No you don't.

Section 75 will cover the payment you made from your credit card to your PayPal account. You have been provided with credit to pay PayPal, that is the transaction that will be covered under Section 75. If PayPal go bust and don't apply the funds to your account you'd have a valid claim, that is the limit of your protection under section 75.

BeeKeeper wrote:If you paid the seller directly with a credit card you may be covered but this does not work if you use PayPal as an intermediary.

+1.

The payment from your PayPal account to the seller's PayPal account is a separate transaction in which the credit card company play no part. Section 75 will not apply as credit has not been given for the purchase from the seller. The same applies to goods bought on Amazon marketplace and similar schemes.

Caveat emptor.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
johnsouthwales

Post by johnsouthwales »

i came across two of these recently, maybe it's more of a grey area than i thought. it's not quite like hire purchase where the owner has to pay off the loan.
technically it belongs to the employer, and technically the owner has to pay any remainder to the employer? or if the owner no longer requires the bike, it's still owned by the employer so the employer cannot send the bike back to the shop, so therefore sells it? or is it also a situation that an employer is in no postion to sell?

if the bike cannot go back to the shop, the employee no longer needs it, the employer doesn't own it, who does it belong to? only the person it belongs to is able to sell it

they do sound like a bargain, having £200 knocked off an almost new price. the seller showed me the payslip etc which leads to me to believe that the employer holds onto the receipt until final payment is made.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Is there a web site that lists Police force auctions of bikes they cannot return? (sorry this isn't strictly the original post question but someone mentioned it in this thread)
Thanks in advance
johnsouthwales

Post by johnsouthwales »

there's one called bumblebee auctions.. personally i would stay away from it after reading descriptions of most the bikes they have