Legs, or lack of them.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mark1978

Re: Legs, or lack of them.

Post by Mark1978 »

My legs were made of stone today :(. The entire ride just weak!

My mate reckons it's because I've been walking too much - 60 miles in January.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Decided to do a ride today going over an old course, 35 miler and up Haytor a nice 3.6 mile climb :(
Twenty years ago was doing it on 42 x 22, the today was thigh sapping , into head wind only on the hill :(
Was using today 32 x 24 :o That's what twenty years does for you.
Mantra, I will not change down.......I will not change down.................I will not change down......................shattered.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Mark1978 wrote:My legs were made of stone today :(. The entire ride just weak!

My mate reckons it's because I've been walking too much - 60 miles in January.

I am guessing the main reason is that you have done less cycling, rather than something intrinsically to do with the walking. I may have said already that I find that a bit of running can actually help.
niggle

Post by niggle »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Decided to do a ride today going over an old course, 35 miler and up Haytor a nice 3.6 mile climb :(
Twenty years ago was doing it on 42 x 22, the today was thigh sapping , into head wind only on the hill :(
Mantra, I will not change down.......I will not change down.................I will not change down......................shattered.

That's Dartmoor Devil territory! I would probably be in my 26T granny ring and 25 rear, spinning is less damaging and better exercise IME
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Had a great ride today! Perhaps the beginning of the end for winter struggling.
Gearoidmuar

When the fitness is GONE... this is what you do.

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've been cycling since I was a small boy, but cycling more or less continuously for 40 years and have tried all types of training systems, following the advice of others, systematic training systems etc.
Based on old-fashioned marathon training I tried this about 10 years ago when there was a bad spell of weather in the winter which precluded any training (I have a trainer but hate it) for several weeks.
When the weather improved I went out and cycled effortlessly for 12-20 miles on ten days on the trot. This was really slow stuff, averaging 12mph or less, even down to 10 or 9.
After 10 days of this I felt good and tired and I took two days off. I then did a mountainous 50 miler in the Beara Peninsula with some friends. I just could not believe how strong this training had made me.
Moral of the story. Go back to simple EASY miles. No pushing at all. It works. It's what they call LSD, or long steady distance, or because of LSD, pounds shillings and pence.
reohn2

Re: When the fitness is GONE... this is what you do.

Post by reohn2 »

Gearoidmuar wrote:I've been cycling since I was a small boy, but cycling more or less continuously for 40 years and have tried all types of training systems, following the advice of others, systematic training systems etc.
Based on old-fashioned marathon training I tried this about 10 years ago when there was a bad spell of weather in the winter which precluded any training (I have a trainer but hate it) for several weeks.
When the weather improved I went out and cycled effortlessly for 12-20 miles on ten days on the trot. This was really slow stuff, averaging 12mph or less, even down to 10 or 9.
After 10 days of this I felt good and tired and I took two days off. I then did a mountainous 50 miler in the Beara Peninsula with some friends. I just could not believe how strong this training had made me.
Moral of the story. Go back to simple EASY miles. No pushing at all. It works. It's what they call LSD, or long steady distance, or because of LSD, pounds shillings and pence.

I agree,get out when you can but don't "kill" yourself when you do is good advice IMHO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
nez

Re: When the fitness is GONE... this is what you do.

Post by nez »

Gearoidmuar wrote:I've been cycling since I was a small boy, but cycling more or less continuously for 40 years and have tried all types of training systems, following the advice of others, systematic training systems etc.

Of course it's right but how will apply to me, is the question. I can't slow much. I'm reminded of that old Irish joke 'be careful before you run into the fellow behind'.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

niggle wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

That's Dartmoor Devil territory! I would probably be in my 26T granny ring and 25 rear, spinning is less damaging and better exercise IME

Hi,
Completed the DD 4 times dropped once. I need two more for "The First Six" :(
Not sure if the route ever went Bovey Tracy to Haytor as a single climb ( 315 ft / mile ) :?:
But I never use the granny for anything less than one pannier and a rucksac :)
DD territory is more like Chagford Munchinton Gidliegh, there is a road here which is not graded correctly, shown as 1:7 - 1:5 but I recon its 1:3.5 which also includes a hairpin :shock:
I normally zig zag on a 21.5 inch gear which is difficult with 30 kilo bike, the bend just makes it steeper :(
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.