Legs, or lack of them.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
niggle
Posts: 3423
Joined: 11 Mar 2009, 10:29pm
Location: Cornwall, near England

Re: Legs, or lack of them.

Postby niggle » 12 Jan 2013, 6:41pm

I'm 50 later this year (how did that happen?). As for legs, have put a bit of weight on over the last 6 months and have been a bit irregular with mileage, unlike earlier in the year. Round here weight gain is almost as bad as lack of getting the miles in. My last proper ride was Boxing Day at a peak weight of about 10lb over BMI ideal weight: it was very hard, but then it was a very tough 70 miler with 1850m ascent (according to Bikehike), with high winds and heavy rain, took me 8 hours! I did it because I was on my own and was not going to be able to get another big ride in until probably next weekend, plan to do around 30 miles tomorrow. Now 6lbs over ideal weight, did this by very sensible eating for the last week, no beer ( :( ) and riding to work and back (11 mile round trip), will report back later.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 8863
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: Legs, or lack of them.

Postby al_yrpal » 12 Jan 2013, 7:53pm

Niggle. Doesn't sound too bad to me.. But then I am old enough to be your Dad :D
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50331
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Legs, or lack of them.

Postby Mick F » 13 Jan 2013, 7:04am

niggle wrote: ....... very sensible eating for the last week, no beer ( :( ) and riding to work and back (11 mile round trip) ..........
That's three things possibly that work against me.
Sensible eating? I love my grub, and eat well but probably too much.
No beer? That's an impossible situation to be in. Life wouldn't be worth living without beer.
Riding to work and back. That's a thing of the past for me, and TBH, I miss the commuting as it MADE me ride whether I wanted to or not. Now I have to find the time to ride as it's only a hobby now. :oops:

Dunno if I can get out today for a ride, I have stuff to do instead (besides a nice big Sunday lunch preceded by beer!). Monday, I'm free. All I need is the weather.
Mick F. Cornwall

niggle
Posts: 3423
Joined: 11 Mar 2009, 10:29pm
Location: Cornwall, near England

Re: Legs, or lack of them.

Postby niggle » 13 Jan 2013, 9:20am

Mick F wrote:
niggle wrote: ....... very sensible eating for the last week, no beer ( :( ) and riding to work and back (11 mile round trip) ..........
That's three things possibly that work against me.
Sensible eating? I love my grub, and eat well but probably too much.
No beer? That's an impossible situation to be in. Life wouldn't be worth living without beer.
Riding to work and back. That's a thing of the past for me, and TBH, I miss the commuting as it MADE me ride whether I wanted to or not. Now I have to find the time to ride as it's only a hobby now. :oops:

Dunno if I can get out today for a ride, I have stuff to do instead (besides a nice big Sunday lunch preceded by beer!). Monday, I'm free. All I need is the weather.

Actually I forgot, had two pints at the pub on Wednesday evening :) so that's reduced rather than total abstinence. Mick is it possible that you have gained a little weight as well as lost some fitness? If you carry on eating as usual but do less mileage this generally happens IME and the impact of weight in your area must be significant.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50331
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Legs, or lack of them.

Postby Mick F » 13 Jan 2013, 9:38am

niggle wrote:Mick is it possible that you have gained a little weight as well as lost some fitness? If you carry on eating as usual but do less mileage this generally happens IME and the impact of weight in your area must be significant.
I don't weigh myself very often, last time was well before Christmas - dunno, but maybe November. Back then I was 12st 10lbs and had been for most of the year.

A few years ago, I topped the 13st barrier.
If you read my account of my double End2End http://lejogandback.blogspot.co.uk/ and scroll to the end:
My weight had many people guessing. I was weighed before the start at 13st 2lb. At 50p a guess you took a stab at my finishing weight. I can reveal now that I lost a little. I was weighed in at 12 stone 11 and a half pounds. Not much of a loss I know, but I bulked out on my legs, and muscle is heavier than fat. I lost a bit around my face, neck, shoulders and tummy. The sweepstake raised £24.


My weight this morning?
12st 11lbs :D
Mick F. Cornwall

User avatar
anniesboy
Posts: 776
Joined: 16 Feb 2007, 10:16pm
Location: South Oxon

Re: Legs, or lack of them.

Postby anniesboy » 13 Jan 2013, 10:44am

I'm trying an app my fitness pal , this in an effort to shed some pounds
Basically you enter both excersize and food/drink, in this way you can earn your beer or what ever
How long i keep it up is another matter

niggle
Posts: 3423
Joined: 11 Mar 2009, 10:29pm
Location: Cornwall, near England

Re: Legs, or lack of them.

Postby niggle » 13 Jan 2013, 11:38am

Mick F wrote:
niggle wrote:Mick is it possible that you have gained a little weight as well as lost some fitness? If you carry on eating as usual but do less mileage this generally happens IME and the impact of weight in your area must be significant.
I don't weigh myself very often, last time was well before Christmas - dunno, but maybe November. Back then I was 12st 10lbs and had been for most of the year.

A few years ago, I topped the 13st barrier.
If you read my account of my double End2End http://lejogandback.blogspot.co.uk/ and scroll to the end:
My weight had many people guessing. I was weighed before the start at 13st 2lb. At 50p a guess you took a stab at my finishing weight. I can reveal now that I lost a little. I was weighed in at 12 stone 11 and a half pounds. Not much of a loss I know, but I bulked out on my legs, and muscle is heavier than fat. I lost a bit around my face, neck, shoulders and tummy. The sweepstake raised £24.


My weight this morning?
12st 11lbs :D

Good, then it is mainly down to getting the miles in IMO, though some of what was useful muscle may currently be fat, which is just dead weight working against you.

nez
Posts: 1840
Joined: 19 Jun 2008, 12:11am

Re: Legs, or lack of them.

Postby nez » 13 Jan 2013, 3:51pm

It's the temperature, not your age. 15c, 60 miles no problem. 0c, I can barely make it to Sainsburys. You notice all those pros go to Majorca for training, not Skye!

niggle
Posts: 3423
Joined: 11 Mar 2009, 10:29pm
Location: Cornwall, near England

Re: Legs, or lack of them.

Postby niggle » 13 Jan 2013, 7:56pm

Did 25 mile ride this morning, felt great, climbing specific hills in taller gears than recently, definitely for me weight loss is a good thing. (The afternoon was not wasted, been separated since last summer, today met for date with delightful 41 year old lady who wants to see me again, 49? I feel like 29 :D )

User avatar
meic
Posts: 19355
Joined: 1 Feb 2007, 9:37pm
Location: Caerfyrddin (Carmarthen)

Re: Legs, or lack of them.

Postby meic » 13 Jan 2013, 10:41pm

Does she have a sister? :D
Yma o Hyd

niggle
Posts: 3423
Joined: 11 Mar 2009, 10:29pm
Location: Cornwall, near England

Re: Legs, or lack of them.

Postby niggle » 13 Jan 2013, 10:56pm

meic wrote:Does she have a sister? :D

Dunno- I'll ask :wink:

User avatar
bigjim
Posts: 3230
Joined: 2 Feb 2008, 5:08pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Legs, or lack of them.

Postby bigjim » 14 Jan 2013, 10:36am

The more or less constant bad weather and thus loss of cycling days is making me seriousley consider getting rid of some of my bikes as they are not getting enough use to justify them. I have a local circuit that is about 24 miles with a mixed terrain that I try and ride at least 3 times a week plus the weekend long ride.
Last Sunday I was out with the CTC for a sixty miler, and got dropped on every steep hill. I assume it's a total lack of cycling time. I've substituted some of my riding times with a run/walk and have therefore not put on any weight. I also use the gym a lot in bad weather and am lifting as much, if not more weight than normal, but none of this has transferred to my ability on the bike. I'm still crap.
I stop on my local rides and enjoy a banana. Don't know if it makes a difference. I just enjoy it.
Image
Put me down for one of the sisters too. But don't tell my wife. :)
Last edited by bigjim on 14 Jan 2013, 11:15am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 50331
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Legs, or lack of them.

Postby Mick F » 14 Jan 2013, 11:07am

Hammering down out there, and it was lovely yesterday. :oops:
Why is it lovely weather when I'm busy, and rotten weather when I have the time to go for a ride?

Sod's Law, I suppose.

Just done ten miles on the rollers - in two five mile stints. Getting into top gear 53/12 and maintaining 60odd rpm at 20odd mph gives a good workout and maintains the legs. I don't think I'm lacking in strength and power too much, it's just stamina I reckon.

Having a cuppa now, then doing another five miles. That'll earn me a nice lunch! :D
Mick F. Cornwall

Mark1978
Posts: 4912
Joined: 17 Jul 2012, 8:47am
Location: Chester-le-Street, County Durham

Re: Legs, or lack of them.

Postby Mark1978 » 14 Jan 2013, 11:36am

Wasn't too bad yesterday as there was no wind. But had to stay below 10mph it was too cold!

Ayesha
Posts: 4192
Joined: 30 Jan 2010, 9:54am

Re: Legs, or lack of them.

Postby Ayesha » 14 Jan 2013, 12:21pm

Mick F wrote:Hammering down out there, and it was lovely yesterday. :oops:
Why is it lovely weather when I'm busy, and rotten weather when I have the time to go for a ride?

Sod's Law, I suppose.

Just done ten miles on the rollers - in two five mile stints. Getting into top gear 53/12 and maintaining 60odd rpm at 20odd mph gives a good workout and maintains the legs. I don't think I'm lacking in strength and power too much, it's just stamina I reckon.

Having a cuppa now, then doing another five miles. That'll earn me a nice lunch! :D


That's the ticket. I'll be on the turbo later. 5 x 5 mile sessions. 125, 150, 175, 200 & 225 Watts.