Legs, or lack of them.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mark1978

Re: Legs, or lack of them.

Postby Mark1978 » 15 Jan 2013, 2:48pm

I find having an objective helps with cycling in general, I'm much more inclined to go out in marginal conditions or do more miles if I feel I'm contributing to something. In my case I've got a short sportive at the end of February that is encouraging me to get out and ride, when normally this time of year I wouldn't bother.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 16 Jan 2013, 3:26pm

Hi,
1ST ride this year, togged up to brave weather not to bad, thighs going half way round, had to rely on ham strings to get me over some hills.
Living on top of highest hill for miles means its always a hill top finish :(
Legs dead, arms gone weak I cant lift them, back aches numb bum. Wheres all my training last year gone :( A whole 2mph down on normal :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 23 Jan 2013, 2:50pm

Mick F wrote:Yes, boring, but rollers make you concentrate ............ or you fall off!
I can only cope with five miles at a time. Five miles at a little over 20mph takes me about 15mins. I stop for a while to cool off, then do another five miles etc. It's a bit noisy and I'm set up in the hallway, so the radio and any DVD would be out of range of sight and sound. I just gaze out of the window, but it's only 15mins at a time.
Total time was 45mins to do the 15miles, but the duration from start to finish was just over 2hrs.
Get into a sweat and get the HR up, relax and repeat. It's the only way I could contemplate the boring-ness of indoor riding. Better than nothing of course, but certainly not ideal.
I had a frantic burst or two at the end - got up above 30mph!

http://www.stir.ac.uk/news/homepagenews ... 09-en.html

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 23 Jan 2013, 3:39pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:
Mick F wrote:Yes, boring, but rollers make you concentrate ............ or you fall off!
I can only cope with five miles at a time. Five miles at a little over 20mph takes me about 15mins. I stop for a while to cool off, then do another five miles etc. It's a bit noisy and I'm set up in the hallway, so the radio and any DVD would be out of range of sight and sound. I just gaze out of the window, but it's only 15mins at a time.
Total time was 45mins to do the 15miles, but the duration from start to finish was just over 2hrs.
Get into a sweat and get the HR up, relax and repeat. It's the only way I could contemplate the boring-ness of indoor riding. Better than nothing of course, but certainly not ideal.
I had a frantic burst or two at the end - got up above 30mph!

http://www.stir.ac.uk/news/homepagenews ... 09-en.html

That's fine - I still say nothing beats commuting fitness (which tends to be moderate) simply due to the guarantee of frequency of activity...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

PJ520

Postby PJ520 » 24 Jan 2013, 4:50am

I read somewhere that fitness has a half life of 12 days. That seems about right
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 24 Jan 2013, 9:01am

Pete Jack wrote:I read somewhere that fitness has a half life of 12 days. That seems about right

Really? Any more information on this?

nez

Postby nez » 24 Jan 2013, 9:10am

Yes I was worried about that. It makes my legs sound like strontium, only quicker. If I am really half as fit in 12 days ill hardly be able to cock my leg over the bike. Will I be half as fit again in another 12 days or will it take 6 ?( like strontium only not). I've got no time to lose, as the arithmetic predicts I'll be dead in a month. Well, half dead anyway.

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 24 Jan 2013, 9:59am

I don't think it's anywhere near that quick.

I know how I felt when I first rode by bike, wiped out after just a mile. However I spent about 2 months off the bike and came back to it, didn't feel anywhere near as bad.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 24 Jan 2013, 10:12am

I wonder that technique comes into it more than we think.

A good runner finds it easier to run, not just coz he's fit, but he's a good runner too. Same for cycling. A competent cyclist expends less effort than an incompetent one. Much effort is expended in tension and inefficiency, rather than relaxing and using the pedals and gears correctly.
Mick F. Cornwall

nez

Postby nez » 24 Jan 2013, 10:28am

I'm sure you're right. Also confidence. You know you can do it so you do it, even though it hurts a bit.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 24 Jan 2013, 10:50am

Going back to my OP.
I've been roller-riding regularly and actually cycling too. I'm trying to do as much as I can fit into normal life, and I reckon my fitness has returned. I say "fitness" but I reckon it's strength too. Muscles loose their strength if you don't use them, so strength may have as much to do with it as fitness.

Anyway, my 21 mile ride yesterday was a synch despite the 2,400ft of total ascent. :D
Mick F. Cornwall

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 24 Jan 2013, 3:34pm

Hi,
Old Farts, most likely to suffer grom tendonitous, and lack of strength :!:
I am back to interval training to bolster my strength.
Mic F's doing it by default as he cant reach the switch to the kettle from his bike :lol:

PJ520

Postby PJ520 » 24 Jan 2013, 7:00pm

Pete Jack wrote:I read somewhere that fitness has a half life of 12 days. That seems about right

Really? Any more information on this

I got from: Bicycling magazine's 1,000 all-time best tips : top riders share their secrets to maximize fun, safety, and performance
Another useful tip was "Don't ride through puddles" (You may get a surprise.) I borrowed it from the library some months ago so I can't site chapter and verse.

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 27 Jan 2013, 10:49am

[XAP]Bob wrote:That's fine - I still say nothing beats commuting fitness (which tends to be moderate) simply due to the guarantee of frequency of activity...

Yes, I am sure you're absolutely right, but I am past commuting age. However when I did, I always walked (fast) to and from the train stations.

Pete Jack wrote:Another useful tip was "Don't ride through puddles" (You may get a surprise.) I borrowed it from the library some months ago so I can't site chapter and verse.

On a road, generally yes, but on a track the best surface is often under the puddle.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

PJ520

Postby PJ520 » 27 Jan 2013, 3:51pm

on a track the best surface is often under the puddle.

I didn't know that. Not that I'm likely to ride a track this side of hell freezing.