What's your favourite ride?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
al_yrpal

Re: What's your favourite ride?

Postby al_yrpal » 14 Jan 2013, 4:25pm

pioneer wrote: At Edwardstone (a little further north than Polstead), is the White Horse PH. It's a micro-brewery with it's own camping field. Excellent grub too.

Thats for me! Microbrewery = wow!

I have got the map and brochures, they had run out last year.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

ukdodger

Postby ukdodger » 14 Jan 2013, 5:28pm

al_yrpal wrote:
pioneer wrote: At Edwardstone (a little further north than Polstead), is the White Horse PH. It's a micro-brewery with it's own camping field. Excellent grub too.

Thats for me! Microbrewery = wow!

I have got the map and brochures, they had run out last year.

Al

Sounds like moonshine to me.

pioneer

Postby pioneer » 15 Jan 2013, 8:15am

The White Horse also do beer festival weekends. We were there onetime when the Essex Mummers were on'. Sort of theartical and humourous storytelling in period costume. Just the thing for a Sunday lunchtime! I've got this years dates at home. I'll post them later.

I find north Norfolk is best in April, May and Sept. Certainly right not to bother in July and August. Mind you, parts of Suffolk are the same for that. i.e. Southwold and Aldeburgh. It all gets a bit Chelsea-on-sea around then.

flat tyre

Postby flat tyre » 15 Jan 2013, 1:03pm

Kilmeston;

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=472137

Best done clockwise so you can enjoy the wonderful descent down Stone Hill into the aptly named village of Steep, near Petersfield.

ukdodger

Postby ukdodger » 15 Jan 2013, 2:09pm

pioneer wrote:The White Horse also do beer festival weekends. We were there onetime when the Essex Mummers were on'. Sort of theartical and humourous storytelling in period costume. Just the thing for a Sunday lunchtime! I've got this years dates at home. I'll post them later.

I find north Norfolk is best in April, May and Sept. Certainly right not to bother in July and August. Mind you, parts of Suffolk are the same for that. i.e. Southwold and Aldeburgh. It all gets a bit Chelsea-on-sea around then.

Hope you dont mean they all turn up driving Chelsea tractors!

ukdodger

Postby ukdodger » 15 Jan 2013, 2:10pm

flat tyre wrote:Kilmeston;

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=472137

Best done clockwise so you can enjoy the wonderful descent down Stone Hill into the aptly named village of Steep, near Petersfield.

That looks nice and near to me.

pioneer

Postby pioneer » 15 Jan 2013, 4:52pm

As promised, beer festival dates for the White Horse, should anybody fancy going that way. 15-24 Feb, Winter Ale Festival. 3-6 May,Dark Ale Days. 23-26 June,Eddy Fest (always a good do'!).

Simon_Winns

Postby Simon_Winns » 16 Jan 2013, 3:22pm

My favourite ride leaves from Terris Novalis in Consett and follows the C2C route down to Sunderland. Ride along the coast and take the ferry to North Shields. From there, follow the Tyne to Newcastle, cross the Gateshead Millenium Bridge, cycle past The Sage building and onwards to Swalwell. Then pick up the Derwent Walk and cycle back to Consett. Why? It's a challenging distance. No steep hills but a steady gradient on the return means your legs know they've been on a ride. Mostly, it's the contrast of scenery - woodland, industry, seaside, a ferry-ride, Newcastle/Gateshead's stunning quayside, and Red Kites as you follow the Steel Trail back home. I like to stop for lunch at Sunderland's Glass Centre and make a whole day of it...Perfect!

ukdodger

Postby ukdodger » 16 Jan 2013, 5:42pm

Simon_Winns wrote:My favourite ride leaves from Terris Novalis in Consett and follows the C2C route down to Sunderland. Ride along the coast and take the ferry to North Shields. From there, follow the Tyne to Newcastle, cross the Gateshead Millenium Bridge, cycle past The Sage building and onwards to Swalwell. Then pick up the Derwent Walk and cycle back to Consett. Why? It's a challenging distance. No steep hills but a steady gradient on the return means your legs know they've been on a ride. Mostly, it's the contrast of scenery - woodland, industry, seaside, a ferry-ride, Newcastle/Gateshead's stunning quayside, and Red Kites as you follow the Steel Trail back home. I like to stop for lunch at Sunderland's Glass Centre and make a whole day of it...Perfect!

Green with envy Simon, green with envy. Sounds lovely.

hexhome

Postby hexhome » 16 Jan 2013, 5:47pm

Simon_Winns wrote:I like to stop for lunch at Sunderland's Glass Centre

Excellent restaurant but leave room for a cake at the Cycle Hub at Ouseburn :)

ukdodger

Postby ukdodger » 16 Jan 2013, 5:59pm

hexhome wrote:

You could make another thread about favourite stops too. Mine would be the Post office come cafe at the foot of the Southern half of the Surrey hills in Peaslake. You have to sit in the bus shelter to eat and drink and is usually chock full of cyclists. There's something wonderfully organic about the whole setup. Food is crap though.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 16 Jan 2013, 8:08pm

ukdodger wrote:
hexhome wrote:

You could make another thread about favourite stops too.

You mean this one viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4946?
:wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Paul Smith SRCC

Postby Paul Smith SRCC » 18 Jan 2013, 1:50pm

On a Tour from Bordeaux to Barcelona as you start to come out of the Pyrenees there is a route from 'Coll de Nargo to Solsona' that is so good I have done that tour three times, the whole tour is excellent but that one day is so good that I am drawn to it; each time I fear that day may not live upto my expectations and not be as good as the previous tour, but it remains the best days' cycle ride I have done.

If you look closely the lower picture above the couple are pointing at the ridge we rode along, the top right is us bimbling along that ridge just soaking up the view, if ever there was a day for low gears just to go slow and take in the scenery that was it.

Paul
Last edited by Paul Smith SRCC on 18 Jan 2013, 3:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whippet

Postby Whippet » 18 Jan 2013, 3:03pm

That looks like a good option to try after I get LEJOG out of the way this year.

ukdodger

Postby ukdodger » 18 Jan 2013, 3:06pm

Paul Smith SRCC wrote:On a Tour from Bordeaux to Barcelona as you start to come out of the Pyrenees there is a route from 'Coll de Nargo to Solsona' that is so good I have done that tour three times, the whole tour is excellent but that one day is so good that I am drawn to it; each time I fear that day may not live upto my expectations and not be as good as the previous tour, but it remains the best days' cycle ride I have done.

If you look closely the lower picture above the couple are pointing at the ridge we rode along, the top right is us bimbling along that ridge just soaking up the view, if ever there was a day for low gears just to go slow and take in the scenery that was it.

Paul

In a word wow. I see what you mean. The last shot is what it's all about.