Android Mapping Help

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
groberts

Android Mapping Help

Post by groberts »

I do not have a smartphone but have recently purchased a Nexus-7 and would like to use it to store and use maps and cycle routes available for such a device, which is Android based. From advice in another post on this site I have been trying to use the open source maps on openandromaps.org/eng to no avail. I installed Locus and have tried diligently to follow the so-called instructions in both applications, without success. Please, can anyone help?

I either need something that is easier to use or clearer guidance on how to use the above programmes. I have been using computers since the early 1980's and am no technophobe but I am finding much of the Android based Apps and related programmes very difficult to use. in general, the instructions are frequently incomprehensible or incomplete, assuming a more than average knowledge of such devices. At this rate I can see paper maps still have a long future!
al_yrpal

Re: Android Mapping Help

Post by al_yrpal »

I use Memory Map because I had purchased OS whole of GB cheap. Seems quite easy to use. You can import routes from bikeroutetoaster or Memory Map on your pc if you want. Memory Map is a bit useless as a tracker to track routes you have riden because it won't do it in the background unless you switch it on all the time. Someone recommended Alpinequest and I think that will track your routes in the background and the maps appear to be free. Google maps are quite useful for setting up landmarks with the gold stars. You have to have a Google email account (free) and then you can star places of interest like camp sites, pubs, B&Bs, attractions etc and quickly access all details about them, phone numbers, reviews etc and navigate to them using Google sat nav directions. Android is really useful and mostly very simple to use. Usually you will find each App has a website with more comprehensive instructions. I have had my HTC Flyer tablet for over a year now its great, but on tour I would take my HTC smartphone, its size is more convenient.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
philg

Post by philg »

Google maps and OsmAnd work for me.
The weekend comes, my cycle hums
alpgirl

Post by alpgirl »

Google maps is good. You can also get a free Sustrans app.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I'm using osmand with the GB base map on a nexus 7. Seems to work fine so far.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
groberts

Post by groberts »

by iandriver » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:56 am

I'm using osmand with the GB base map on a nexus 7

OK but how do I get the map (any map) into Osmand, for example? Like I said, this a black art to me at the moment & I don't understand the logic of it all and therefore need a detailed idiots guide rather than just statements - sorry!
philg

Post by philg »

groberts wrote:OK but how do I get the map (any map) into Osmand, for example? Like I said, this a black art to me at the moment & I don't understand the logic of it all and therefore need a detailed idiots guide rather than just statements - sorry!

Click on This Link and press install (you have to be logged on to Google to do this.

That will downoad & install the app onto your phone - I can't remember what happens next but it's fairly idiot proof (it needed to be!)
groberts

Post by groberts »

Thanks Philg, I don't have a problem with that. I just don't understand how the various maps are then 'imported' (if that's the right concept) so as to work within Osmand - if you see what I mean?
philg

Post by philg »

No probem! - IIRC you can choose the option to download maps onto your phone, which is what I did; the 3G reception around here is a bit iffy to say the least, so cannot rely on the on-line mapping (Google maps same).
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

From osm and, go to settings then offline data. There should be a download maps motion there.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Do you want mapping or routeing. The best mapping application I've found for Android is Alpine Quest http://alpinequest.psyberia.net/ . There are 2 version free and paid for(4.99). It has many map sources including full UK OS if you get the paid for version. On OS it uses appropriate scales ie 250k for large areas , then 50k then 25k. It stores the map segments you view on the device so you don't need a web connection to see a particular map area once you've initially downloaded it. The OS maps are free to use.
For routeing cycle streets http://www.cyclestreets.net/ seems about the best. I use this on a PC as well and plan routes, down load the GPX track to android and display it in alpine quest.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
timmyhiggy

Post by timmyhiggy »

google maps does offline map caching. Just hit menu on a map and press "make available offline"
groberts

Post by groberts »

OK progress - of a sort. Using OsmAnd I managed to download a map from their list but....what if I want to download a map from another source? For example - I have successfully downloaded an open source map of cycle routes in Germany onto my computer, how do I now transfer that to the tablet in such a way I can then view it using OsmAnd or another similar App?

Pete75: I won't know what I want to do until I know what I can do with it! However, if possible I would like to use it for three main functions (I'm sure the more I learn the more I'll want).

1. Just to have available maps for navigating with, preferably offline and at best 1:50,000 OS maps or similar / with contours - Pete are you saying that for £4.99 you get access to all OS maps + is that for a set period?
2. To import Open Source maps / routes (see first comment).
3. To develop save and use offline my own routes.

Thanks for all the help and patience, I am getting there, slowly (bit like my cycling)!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

The paid for Alpinequest has access to OS maps for free and without any time limit - well if there is it's more than 18 months because that's how long I've been using it and them.
Online map sources it can use are various versions of Open street map including the cycling map and several varieties of google maps. The free version gives you those and teh £4.99 gives you access to what they call community maps UK OS, USGS USA map, Deutschland online, IDM Italia, Switzerland topo and Austria topo which all seem to be equivalent type maps to OS for those countries. It has these maps for the whole of Europe and they're quite good. http://www.4umaps.eu/mountain-bike-hiki ... ic-map.htm . The application also gives the ability to layer different types of map.
Cycle streets is excellent for developing routes on a PC and if you get the free Android version it will calculate cycling routes on your pad as well as the PC version. It uses the OSM cycle maps and algorithms and will produces three different routes between places, fastest(shortest), quietest and balanced. The app is free so why not just download and try, same goes for Alpinequest though the free version doesn't give access to OS maps just the OSM stuff and google.
Alpinequest will also display the qct type maps as used by memorymap.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
groberts

Post by groberts »

Thanks Pete, sounds just the job. Before I take the plunge can you confirm that as well as access to OS maps, they can be retained for offline use.