identify ctc badge

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
petzl

identify ctc badge

Post by petzl »

I have searched this Forum but cannot find it.
Can someone please identify this CTC badge. It is 26mm in diameter and around 4mm deep. A plated steel disc with a clear perspex lens over gold lettering on a dark blue background. Pin clasp mounted horozontally at rear of disc.
Thanks
Attachments
ctc badge 1.jpg
ctc badge 2.jpg
Last edited by petzl on 13 Jan 2013, 6:33pm, edited 3 times in total.
LollyKat

Re: identify ctc badge

Post by LollyKat »

Er...it's a CTC badge? I think it must be one of the last versions of the winged wheel badge before they changed to the (horrible) wobbly bicycle one. The one I got around 1980 had a white border and gothic letters.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

at some point the CTC lettering in the winged wheel went from gothic to a more conventional font, which identifies this badge as being after a certain date. Exactly what that date is, however, I don't know.

If no-one knows, I'd suggest looking at old issues of CTC publications to see when the change was made.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I used to have a "Winged Wheel" transfer on all my cycles, but wouldn't pollute them with the new ones.

The above as far as I am aware correct, the Winged Wheel was stopped a few years ago (2005 -6?) and there was a lot of discussion on here at the time
tooley92

Post by tooley92 »

I have one of those from when I first joined CTC in about 1987.
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
gaz

Post by gaz »

Brucey wrote:at some point the CTC lettering in the winged wheel went from gothic to a more conventional font, which identifies this badge as being after a certain date. Exactly what that date is, however, I don't know.

The gothic lettering is still used on the front cover of cycle, in the footer of the main website page and on the current 25 year badges.
(Dec 2012 for 26 years :wink: )

I can recall having one similar to that described by Lollykat which would almost certainly have been late 1980's.

The conventional font on petzl's may help the CTC's historical scholars to date the item but I'd guess it's just a case of a batch having been made that way rather than the result of a "policy change" with regard to how the winged wheel was represented at that time.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

gaz wrote: The gothic lettering is still used on the front cover of cycle, in the footer of the main website page and on the current 25 year badges.

oh yeah... course it is... :roll: :shock:

The conventional font on petzl's may help the CTC's historical scholars to date the item but I'd guess it's just a case of a batch having been made that way rather than the result of a "policy change" with regard to how the winged wheel was represented at that time.

-must be right....

I'd quite like to see the winged wheel stickers back again myself.

Doubtless they paid some graphic designer a small fortune to 'rebrand' the CTC with a new logo that can be 'more widely used in a broad variety of media' etc etc :roll: but;
a) that doesn't mean that it is any good and
b) it certainly doesn't mean that I have to like the look of it.

It smacks overly of the same kind of thinking that (briefly thank goodness) saw the post office rebranded as 'Consignia'. :shock:

What a steaming heap of fetid BS it all is.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gaz

Post by gaz »

BS, as in BS6102/3? :wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

FWIW, I think Brucey's original post was correct about the plain font. There has obviously been some continued use of the Gothic font, if that's the right name, right up to the present time, but I fancy there must be a specific - and fairly recent - point before which there will be no examples of the winged wheel + plain font (whatver the correct name of that font is.)

In addition to the specific award / commemorative badges (JohnW - did you get anything at 50 years?) the CTC has often ofered membership merchandise - ties and badges seem the most obvious but I've a feeling there have been cuff links, as well as some of the more unexpected things like CTC ale.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Long service awards: http://www.ctc.org.uk/about-ctc/awards-honours

■For 10 years membership you receive a Presidential letter.
■For 25 years membership you recieve a Presidential letter, Certificate and Badge.
■For 50 years membership you receive a Presidential letter, Certificate and Badge.
■For 75 years membership you receive a Presidential letter, Certificate, Badge and Personal Gift.

These started in 2003, so I missed out on the 10 year award.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm pretty sure there was something else before that. I'm pretty sure the CTC shop used to sell a sterling silver badge - possibly for 50 years (and IIRC the word was "service" rather than "membership.") In the late 1950's, the owner of my now long-gone LBS - Ben Cavill - had a CTC lapel badge that seemed to my youthful eyes to commemorate a couple of centuries of membership.

PS I mentioned John W above because I think he posted that he had had membership from birth (as a family member, of course) towards the end of WWII. There must be others.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

thirdcrank wrote:I'm pretty sure there was something else before that. I'm pretty sure the CTC shop used to sell a sterling silver badge - possibly for 50 years

I recall that badge, sterling silver for 25 years, as recently as the 1970s, and probably more recently than that. I've been a member 45 years now so if the current scheme was introduced in 2003 then I have only 5 years to wait for the 50 years badge.
hercule

Post by hercule »

gaz wrote:Long service awards: http://www.ctc.org.uk/about-ctc/awards-honours

■For 10 years membership you receive a Presidential letter.
■For 25 years membership you recieve a Presidential letter, Certificate and Badge.
■For 50 years membership you receive a Presidential letter, Certificate and Badge.
■For 75 years membership you receive a Presidential letter, Certificate, Badge and Personal Gift.

These started in 2003, so I missed out on the 10 year award.

I missed out on the 10 year award,but it looks like the 25 year one will be coming along fairly soon.... :D
dc

Post by dc »

Don't hold your breath Hercule on getting any acknowledgement from the CTC for your years of membership. I have been a member since 1963, 50 years this month and never had as much as a postcard from them. As for the winged wheel the original CTC logo, as I said before you would not get mercedes benz or rolls royce down grading their logo for a new trendy one. They simply haven't a clue.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

Never mind the logo. Now that we are sponsoring a Ladies racing team, how long will it be before they dispense with the CTC name altogether. I predict that it will eventually become NCC - National Cycling Charity. At which point I will join something else. You heard it first here.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.