Best small car to put bikes inside?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
CJ

Re: Best small car to put bikes inside?

Postby CJ » 5 Apr 2013, 2:55pm

This thread has proved rather popular, hasn't it. Thanks for all the tips.

She bought a Panda.

And I put a bike in it the other night. The only way it seemed to go in the back (rear seat folded obviously) was upside down diagonally with both wheels out. I don't think you'd get another inside without removing rear mudguards too - at least.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.

mrjemm

Postby mrjemm » 5 Apr 2013, 3:03pm

Your daughter may have more luck putting the bike(s) in. I struggle to get one in our panda, but Madame seems to have the magic touch and apparently doesn't even remove the wheels (not that I've seen this...). I've got a feeling that she may've put 2 in once, but that could be a myth. It's like when we travel anywhere, my bag's always far bigger and weighs a ton, whilst out of her one appears an amazing array, including hairdryer!

Anyway... Good choice!

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 5 Apr 2013, 6:44pm

[quote="mrjemmIt's like when we travel anywhere, my bag's always far bigger and weighs a ton, whilst out of her one appears an amazing array, including hairdryer!
[/quote]

That's because women's bags are like the TARDIS, bigger on the inside than on the outside. :wink:

mrjemm

Postby mrjemm » 6 Apr 2013, 1:13pm

Apparently, she can put in one bike easily, upright, but with front wheel removed. Or 2 bikes with both wheels removed. The smaller bike (hers) has full mudguards, which most certainly stay on (a pain in the bum to remove). This is a 2010 (2nd gen?) model.

CJ

Postby CJ » 8 Apr 2013, 10:39am

mrjemm wrote:Apparently, she can put in one bike easily, upright, but with front wheel removed. Or 2 bikes with both wheels removed. The smaller bike (hers) has full mudguards, which most certainly stay on (a pain in the bum to remove). This is a 2010 (2nd gen?) model.

Please can we see a photo - of Madame's bike 'jemmied' into position?
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 8 Apr 2013, 11:10am

Re two bikes in a Panda:-
Would folding down the backrest of the front passenger then moving the seat as far forward as can go and folding down the rear nearside portion of the back seat.
Two bikes could(possibly) slot down the nearside and the passenger sit behind the driver in the remaining rear unfolded seat?
This presumes the rear seat is split and there's enough room to stand the bikes up with the front or both wheels removes.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 8 Apr 2013, 11:16am

reohn2 wrote:Two bikes could(possibly) slot down the nearside and the passenger sit behind the driver in the remaining rear unfolded seat?
I saw an article (American) where a couple carried a tandem inside a Honda Jazz by this means - but they had to remove saddles and saddle pillars because of the height. I imagine that is the usual problem with fitting bikes upright - the saddle height.

mrjemm

Postby mrjemm » 8 Apr 2013, 12:22pm

CJ wrote:
mrjemm wrote:Apparently, she can put in one bike easily, upright, but with front wheel removed. Or 2 bikes with both wheels removed. The smaller bike (hers) has full mudguards, which most certainly stay on (a pain in the bum to remove). This is a 2010 (2nd gen?) model.

Please can we see a photo - of Madame's bike 'jemmied' into position?

Sorry CJ, I very nearly asked her to do so on saturday, when she was picking her car up with the bike (sounds back to front, ey?). I'll try to remember next time. Can't be so hard as my Berlingo's sitting there unused at the mo.

As for getting 2 in, I couldn't tell you, but apparently I've been in the car when we've done this- losing my mind at 42!

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 8 Apr 2013, 7:18pm

tatanab wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Two bikes could(possibly) slot down the nearside and the passenger sit behind the driver in the remaining rear unfolded seat?
I saw an article (American) where a couple carried a tandem inside a Honda Jazz by this means - but they had to remove saddles and saddle pillars because of the height. I imagine that is the usual problem with fitting bikes upright - the saddle height.

With the front wheel out and the bike turned upside down we carry our tandems(one at a time) slotted down the middle of our Mazda Premacy.We have to gaze into each other's eyes through the spokes of the back wheel :roll: other than that no problem.
I should say that the three rear seats can be removed individually,which makes the back into almost a van :) .
I'll post a photo if I think on.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

fivebikes

Postby fivebikes » 9 Apr 2013, 3:13pm

After the event I suppose but after negating some of the 'green' benefits! of a Prius by sticking two bikes on the roof bars I was keen to get a different hybrid that would take two bikes plus camping gear and luggage inside. Not much choice but discovered this picture set.

http://s172.photobucket.com/user/jingra ... 2321845072

Also variations on theme here

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-inte ... -rack.html

Car is a Jazz (called a Fit in US) Found out they do a hybrid version here...pricey but managed to locate one second hand on a good deal. Made a carrier as in pics though on a flat board rather than inverted T shape. Works a treat! Thorn Sherpa and Bob Jackson World Tour fit in easily with front wheels off (but guards on) with loads of space between. Load fixing points aplenty for securing bikes too.
Now enjoy 60 mpg fuel economy with everything safe, clean and dry inside. Non hybrid Jazz would give a little extra space for tools and waterproofs as the spare wheel well is not taken up by the hybrid battery.

Regards

Dizzie

Postby Dizzie » 10 Apr 2013, 8:45pm

Citreon Bellingo van, the bikes stand up without the need to take wheels off.