Hardcore or what?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
User avatar
DaveP
Posts: 3227
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 4:20pm
Location: W Mids

Hardcore or what?

Postby DaveP » 9 Feb 2013, 3:26pm

I'd been keeping my eyes open for possible pics of UK Pugsley action after our recent flirtation with the white stuff.
No luck - but I've just noticed this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21393614
Specifically Image 4.
Respect!! Mine would have been back on its hooks long before :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully...

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13778
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: Hardcore or what?

Postby gaz » 9 Feb 2013, 4:11pm

Here's a shot of the Canal Path on my commute home from a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure what the will-o-the-wispy stuff is, I guess my camera doesn't do cold.

HPIM0702a.JPG
Warm enough for man, too cold for camera.

I've fitted some spiked tyres since then so it's guaranteed not to snow again this winter. :roll:
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

eileithyia
Posts: 7792
Joined: 31 Jan 2007, 6:46pm
Location: Horwich Which is Lancs :-)

Re: Hardcore or what?

Postby eileithyia » 9 Feb 2013, 4:21pm

Well it wasn't being ridden ... probably locked there and then the snow came down...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

ukdodger
Posts: 2992
Joined: 18 Aug 2007, 5:32pm
Location: Sunny Surrey

Re: Hardcore or what?

Postby ukdodger » 9 Feb 2013, 9:42pm

gaz wrote:Here's a shot of the Canal Path on my commute home from a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure what the will-o-the-wispy stuff is, I guess my camera doesn't do cold.

HPIM0702a.JPG

I've fitted some spiked tyres since then so it's guaranteed not to snow again this winter. :roll:


Looks to me you've photographed a ghost. Definite face there. Most likely one of the meriead E2Eers who gave up and couldnt face her indoors.

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 16970
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: Hardcore or what?

Postby [XAP]Bob » 9 Feb 2013, 9:46pm

Is it just me or is image 4 now of snow ploughs?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Ron
Posts: 1189
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 9:07pm

Re: Hardcore or what?

Postby Ron » 9 Feb 2013, 10:25pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:Is it just me or is image 4 now of snow ploughs?


It's not just you, Image 4 is indeed of two snowploughs.
It looks as if they attach their lightweight ploughs to dustbin lorries, no doubt there are industrial size ploughs for the real snow :)

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17388
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Hardcore or what?

Postby Vorpal » 9 Feb 2013, 10:57pm

They aren't dustbin lorries. They are spreaders that look like dustbin lorries. They push snow with one end, and spread salt or mixtures with calcium chloride (to improve below-freezing performance) from the back.

They also use loaders or larger ploughs for moving large amounts of snow, but the combination of plough on the front and spreader on the back works well for roads and many conditions.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

User avatar
DaveP
Posts: 3227
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 4:20pm
Location: W Mids

Re: Hardcore or what?

Postby DaveP » 10 Feb 2013, 6:22am

eileithyia wrote:Well it wasn't being ridden ... probably locked there and then the snow came down...


Hhmmm. Daresay you're right - I assumed a connection between the shadowy figure and the bike.
Still, as noted, it has all changed now. I didn't realise they did that, I thought they just posted a new gallery for new images.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully...

pete75
Posts: 11973
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Hardcore or what?

Postby pete75 » 10 Feb 2013, 10:55am

Vorpal wrote:They aren't dustbin lorries. They are spreaders that look like dustbin lorries. They push snow with one end, and spread salt or mixtures with calcium chloride (to improve below-freezing performance) from the back.

They also use loaders or larger ploughs for moving large amounts of snow, but the combination of plough on the front and spreader on the back works well for roads and many conditions.


They are bin lorries. If you look closely you can even see Sanitation on the side and Don't Litter further back.
Just like this but with a blade on the front.

Image

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 16970
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: Hardcore or what?

Postby [XAP]Bob » 11 Feb 2013, 7:59am

Even we could do that...
Then we'd have ploughs a plenty.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17388
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Hardcore or what?

Postby Vorpal » 11 Feb 2013, 1:28pm

pete75 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:They aren't dustbin lorries. They are spreaders that look like dustbin lorries. They push snow with one end, and spread salt or mixtures with calcium chloride (to improve below-freezing performance) from the back.

They also use loaders or larger ploughs for moving large amounts of snow, but the combination of plough on the front and spreader on the back works well for roads and many conditions.


They are bin lorries. If you look closely you can even see Sanitation on the side and Don't Litter further back.


You're right & I was mistaken. Either that's a new practice, or it's only done in some areas, because I lived in various snowy places in the USA for more than 30 years, and I never saw a dustbin lorry (aka garbage truck) removing snow before. I have seen lots of things that look like them, but with spreaders on the back. And in some places, the same department of the council looks after waste removal and snow clearing so 'sanitation' on the side wasn't particularly remarkable.

I guess it's a logical thing to do, especially if they can use towed grit spreaders or something, as well.

What do they do if it snows on bin day? :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

User avatar
andrew_s
Posts: 4992
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 9:29pm
Location: Gloucestershire

Re: Hardcore or what?

Postby andrew_s » 11 Feb 2013, 2:15pm

gaz wrote:I'm not sure what the will-o-the-wispy stuff is, I guess my camera doesn't do cold.

It looks like you were breathing.
Even very thin mistiness will reflect on-camera flash back into the lens very effectively.

User avatar
McVouty
Posts: 386
Joined: 21 Jul 2008, 5:32pm
Location: Stirling

Re: Hardcore or what?

Postby McVouty » 11 Feb 2013, 10:44pm

Not my Glasgow-Stirling commute, but that of a friend on the evening of 25th January. He started on the canal towpath, but when the snow built up between his mudguards and wheels he had to carry the bike to the main road and continue.Comments from triathletes were along the lines "You are bonkers but we are not worthy...", while cyclists said "Mudguards in this weather? You should know better!"
Image Attachments
Andy Turnbull's commute, 25.01.13.jpg
Andy Turnbull's commute, 25.01.13.jpg (6.25 KiB) Viewed 686 times