Marsas handlebar foam...any good?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Milfred Cubicle

Marsas handlebar foam...any good?

Post by Milfred Cubicle »

Has anybody used Marsas foam? When I saw the advert for a 'shock absorbing system', I was expecting something complicated! I could do with a bit more comfort, so is this stuff worth the money, or should I just cut some strips from a camping mat?
CREPELLO

Re: Marsas handlebar foam...any good?

Post by CREPELLO »

I haven't seen the Marsas stuff close up, but I bet it's very similar to camping mat foam, albeit a little thinner. So you could do worse than a thin bit of camping mat.

Spa do there own gel pads for a fiver.

Alternately, Silicone gel or rubber is available in a number of forms - eg: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SLIP-DASHBOARD- ... _ce_text_y

I've been thinking about applying silicone sealant onto handlebars, under the tape, but I've not tried it yet.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

The best foam is the original Grabon version.
I've got it on two of my bikes and it's supremely comfortable.
I don't know how effective the Spa version is, and SJSC also do a version which looks similar to the Grabon.
I'll be looking for some more soon, but haven't been able to find the genuine Grabon available recently.
John1054

Post by John1054 »

I bought several sets of Grab-on from a cycle dealer in U.S.A. If you want details, please PM.
pioneer

Post by pioneer »

Dot Bike do a similar version to Grab-On. Can't remember the name, but it works a treat and wasn't expensive either.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I find Fizik gel pads and Bontrager gel bar tape work for me.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
jayd

Post by jayd »

Bike Ribbon do nice gel pads.
review: http://road.cc/content/review/41274-bik ... n-gel-pads
RJS

Post by RJS »

I've used the Marsas in the past, it works well, but is expensive, you would probably be just as well off making up something of your own. I'm using the Specialized tape now wich comes with similar under padding.
Cheers, Rob
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

RJS wrote:I've used the Marsas in the past, it works well, but is expensive, you would probably be just as well off making up something of your own. I'm using the Specialized tape now wich comes with similar under padding.
Cheers, Rob

+1. I Have used MarSas in the past. It was fine but I think a thin strip cut off a camping mat would do as good a job at considerably less cost.

I now just double tape the section of bars from stem to hoods. That gives sufficient padding for me.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

jayd wrote:Bike Ribbon do nice gel pads.

I use these on two of my bikes. They're very good if you position them correctly. My Audax bike has two sets sort-of interleaved to provide a wider cushion. Only trouble is that I tend to lean on the shifter shells where the gel doesn't reach: kinda bruising.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Audax67 wrote:
jayd wrote:Bike Ribbon do nice gel pads.

I use these on two of my bikes. They're very good if you position them correctly. My Audax bike has two sets sort-of interleaved to provide a wider cushion. Only trouble is that I tend to lean on the shifter shells where the gel doesn't reach: kinda bruising.
I remember seeing in the old Gearshift catologue some sticky foam pads for fixing to the hoods. Never seen them since.

Cutting some pads out of grab-on type foam and sticking them down with a good quality sticky both sides tape would do a similar job.