Lidl (( 2 topics merged - by G ) now 3 merged - S)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jezer

Re: Lidl

Post by jezer »

Others in my club are always boasting about the bargains they get from Aldi and Lidl. I have so far been a bit too brand conscious, although I am sure I am missing something. Time I visited my local store I think :o
Power to the pedals
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

I bought one of Lidl's cycle tops last time around, quality was OK but was a bit short in the body for cycling and I'm not that tall. Use it for the gym tho
'Kernow bys Vyken'
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Swallow wrote:I bought one of Lidl's cycle tops last time around, quality was OK but was a bit short in the body for cycling and I'm not that tall. Use it for the gym tho

Hi,
Was that a Cycling top with pockets or a Performance Cycling Top :?:
The short sleeve top I have was long but the Long sleeve top if worn tight may be a tad too short.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Sooper8

Re: Lidl ( two topics merged - by G )

Post by Sooper8 »

Anyone have experience with that floor pump?
After all, a bargain isn't a bargain if it's no good
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Cycle maintenance stand bought from Lidl last year is very solid, stable, easy -to-use and has been invaluable. At around £30 it was a bargain. The hi-viz top and seal-skinz copies I bought from Aldi in the autumn have both performed well, appear well-made and again were excellent VFM (top was about 20, gloves about 5). They look like they'll last for several years yet.
The first top was too tight and when I took it back, the shelf-stacker I approached on the subject smiled and waved me towards the rack of alternatives and said 'No Probs - just help yourself'. He didn't even look at the old one or ask for a receipt.
The alleged aggressive employment practices of these 2 super-discount stores are a different matter, though... so, no such thing as a free lunch, eh?!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:
Swallow wrote:I bought one of Lidl's cycle tops last time around, quality was OK but was a bit short in the body for cycling and I'm not that tall. Use it for the gym tho

Hi,
Was that a Cycling top with pockets or a Performance Cycling Top :?:
The short sleeve top I have was long but the Long sleeve top if worn tight may be a tad too short.

It was a short sleeve cycle top with the pockets, good quality, as I wear it to the gym, it gets washed a lot but still looks good, just a bit short IMO. See if you can have a look at them or try a couple of sizes, you can always take them back
'Kernow bys Vyken'
alpgirl

Re: Lidl cycling gear - Thursday 21 Mar

Post by alpgirl »

Mark1978 wrote:Personally I wouldn't buy a helmet from Lidl, as the your safety isn't something you want to be saving money on. The rest, give it a go and see!

They have to adhere to the same safety standard as any other company. We have a junior helmet for our 4 year old, and it's brilliant!
graymee

Post by graymee »

I would thoroughly recommend the Crane cycling kit from Aldi. Bib longs and jacket £15 each, well worth the money, I'm looking out for them being on sale again soon. The merino wool cycle jersey is good too.
I'm not old and cynical, I'm realistic!
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Any idea when the next Aldi sale is?
san0

Post by san0 »

Just bought the black gilet for £9.99. Great value, chest pocket, side pockets, and a rear pocket. Some reflective detailing. Zips not to good quality but overall, very functional. It's a shame it doesn't have a mesh back like last time.

Also bought the cycling socks, and mistakingly bought ladies compression running socks, but they are actually very good and well padded soles, great for spring with shorts.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

I bought the foot pump which works better than the muddy one its replacing, the small tool bag and some sports Glasses and I am pleased with all of them.
I would have bought some cycling shorts but they only had large and extra large.
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Wasn't a great deal left when I got there. But still came away with a pair of shorts and 3/4 trousers. A couple of blue jerseys (red ones were gone!) a pair of glasses and some gloves.

Not bad for £50 in total. You'd pay that for a jersey some places.

The shorts in particular are a nice size and fit. Unlike the Halfords ones I got earlier in the year which were 'orrible!
Russell160

Lidl are at it again.

Post by Russell160 »

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/www_lidl_ ... .htm?id=16

Will be grabbing a track pump tomorrow and will report back. Those grips look ok too.
timmyhiggy

Post by timmyhiggy »

san0 wrote:Just bought the black gilet for £9.99. Great value, chest pocket, side pockets, and a rear pocket. Some reflective detailing. Zips not to good quality but overall, very functional. It's a shame it doesn't have a mesh back like last time.

Also bought the cycling socks, and mistakingly bought ladies compression running socks, but they are actually very good and well padded soles, great for spring with shorts.

Interesting, I bought a lidl gilet today and mine does have a mesh back!
niggle

Post by niggle »

Unlike cheap Tesco Extra jobs, the helmets are just as good as brand name ones for 25% of the price: same safety standards met, useful range of sizes, strap adjustment fine, removable and washable pads, light weight and well ventilated. The rear light on the back of the helmet is rather feeble which is a pity. One way to tell a better quality helmet is when the thin outer shell is bonded to the main body (as for the Lidl) rather than just taped to it (cheap Tesco).

Generally I have found the clothing not to be quite as good as Aldi: Lidl is usually 'Crivit' brand and Aldi is usually 'Crane Bike'. Aldi winter soft shell cycling jackets, gloves and padded longs are superb! Both brands of cycle shoes very good. Track pumps tend to break either immediately or after a year or two, my current 'Beto' brand one from Lidl is two years old, my main problem with it is that it grips Presta valves too tightly and is hard to detach, which eventually rips the valve out of the tube, so I think I will go for a brand name one when it finally breaks, or maybe I could fit a better connector? My cycle stand is good but I cannot remember if it is Lidl or Aldi :?