How best to route multiple locations

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Dizzie

How best to route multiple locations

Postby Dizzie » 10 Apr 2013, 1:48pm

Hi. As a 50th birthday challenge my brother wants to cycle to every WW airbase in East Anglia. There is a quite a few of them, 150 ish marked on the map thus far. I had anticipated marking locations on Google maps and then breaking up into days of riding of about a 100 miles a day (we have taken the first 2 weeks of August off from work) It is what to do then that I need ideas for please. A way of Google maps plotting shortest route, with a means of pinging that over to my iphone/ipad would be ideal. I have Map my Ride, Riding with GPS, Roadbike, Bike Hub, Google Maps and M8 on there so far, (TomTom soon). Would prefer to use the phone as I gave up on Garmin as I had 3 fail, and ended up doing a 54 mile journey home which Tomtom (in the car) told me was 30.
We also want to run a blog and twitter and if there was a way of linking live current location to these that would be good.
Anyone wanting to join us for some or all of it would be most welcome.
Thanks in anticipation

Di.

Ayesha

Re: How best to route multiple locations

Postby Ayesha » 10 Apr 2013, 2:01pm

Microsoft Autoroute 2011 or later.

Enter all the Waypoints, ask to calculate and then click 'Optimise'.

On 2011 or later, you can export a GPX.

JonMcD

Postby JonMcD » 10 Apr 2013, 3:42pm

This sounds like a version of the classic mathematical "Travelling salesman problem". Hope you have Microsoft Autoroute or similar, as working it out from first principles seems a lifetimes work :( .

andrewjoseph

Postby andrewjoseph » 10 Apr 2013, 10:55pm

co-pilot app for android can do this, i use for the car instead of a dedicated sat nav.

meant to say co-pilot is available for apple phones too.
Last edited by andrewjoseph on 11 Apr 2013, 1:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.

Redvee

Postby Redvee » 11 Apr 2013, 12:07am

I did something similar last year when there were 61 gorilla statues placed in locations around Bristol. After finding out the locations I sat down with Bike Route Toaster and plotted a circular route to them all. Once happy with the route I also changed the list I had so that it matched the route and ticked them off as I photographed them.

Michael R

Postby Michael R » 11 Apr 2013, 7:40am

I would simply get the 1:50000 OS maps , pour over them and work out my route.

It's what I always do

matt_twam_asi

Postby matt_twam_asi » 11 Apr 2013, 8:37am

http://gebweb.net/optimap/ can produce a TSP optimised route for either a round trip or A-Z. It looks like you can export the route directly to a Garmin or TomTom device - I haven't tried it out but the export route to .gpx option looks like a blatant lie - it just lists the lat/long points of all the stops.

There are loads of options for GPS tracking. If you have an android phone/tablet then off the top of my head tweetabouts may be a good option. Not sure about equivalent iOS options as I've never had an iPhone or iPad.