Why isn't cycling more popular?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bigjim

Re: Why isn't cycling more popular?

Post by bigjim »

We need better facilities and more cycle paths

No thanks. I don't want to hand the roads over to the motorist.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I think it was you reohn2, who have previously said that groups of Chain Gang racers just waft on by :?:
Yes did not read it correctly, I see it now............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I think it was you reohn2, who have previously said that groups of Chain Gang racers just waft on by :?:

No I don't think that was me,anyway if it was a chaingang it was for softies,they were only doing about 15mph :wink:
Yes did not read it correctly, I see it now............

My fault I think,bad grammar.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mr. Viking

Post by Mr. Viking »

children aren't encouraged to cycle enough. I did a cycling proficiency test in primary school. That was the extent of my awareness of cycling. Most of my friends (who were much better at it than me) rarely cycle now. Thankfully my dad decided that this was the perfect excuse for me to cycle to and from school. It was a 4 mile journey and I always wanted to give up. I did it twice or three times with him and didn't cycle for ages after, but I did learn that it was a safe way to get around, and as I got older and a bit stronger realised it was practical too. Oddly My dad isn't a very keen cyclist. He only ever cycled for fitness reasons or when he was young because because he couldn't afford a car
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

danfoto wrote:
samsbike wrote:We need ... more cycle paths.

Why?

I am assuming it will make people feel safer enough to ride in the cities. It's more of a perception thing. My totally unscientific poll of a few office folk tends to support this, however, this is because I live and work in London. In the countryside there probably isn't the need.

I can fully appreciate why people don't want to take to the roads. I live on a relatively busy road and given the density of traffic and the amount of large trucks would not allow my kids to cycle on it. If they had decent cycle paths on the canal paths, I could see that encouraging people to using their bikes more.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Many cycle paths are rubbish and may put more people off than they encourage to ride.

Even some good quality paths are circuitous, much longer than an on-road route, or don't really go anywhere practical.

Even worse, the cycle path will do most of the job, then disappear where it is most needed :(
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Good quality cycle paths which are well thought out and go where people want to go do encourage people to cycle, The Dutch model is the perfect example of this. Here in the UK there are plenty of examples of Cycles paths contributing to an increase in use. Here in Suffolk as Kesgrave expanded from a small village to a dormitory of Ipswich, the local council built a network of well thought out cycle paths. This increased the local high schools cycle usage to over 50%, which was for many years the highest in the countries.
NUKe

Post by reohn2 »

samsbike wrote:
I am assuming it will make people feel safer enough to ride in the cities. It's more of a perception thing. My totally unscientific poll of a few office folk tends to support this, however, this is because I live and work in London. In the countryside there probably isn't the need.

I can fully appreciate why people don't want to take to the roads. I live on a relatively busy road and given the density of traffic and the amount of large trucks would not allow my kids to cycle on it. If they had decent cycle paths on the canal paths, I could see that encouraging people to using their bikes more.

When UK government takes cycling seriously instead of treating cycling and cyclists as either a sport or some oddball minority who don't warrant the protection of the law,but are equal to any other section of society,then and only then will anything be done for our benefit.As it is they feel there's no votes or profit in it.
The car driver who never cycles on OTOH.............
W H Auden
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

reohn2 wrote:
When UK government takes cycling seriously instead of treating cycling and cyclists as either a sport or some oddball minority who don't warrant the protection of the law,but are equal to any other section of society,then and only then will anything be done for our benefit.As it is they feel there's no votes or profit in it.

The government doesn't take motorists seriously either, astronomically high fuel taxes, exorbitant tax disc, poorly maintained roads, inadequate motorway network etc. The only two positive things I can see with regard to government policy in this area are:
1. Cyclists are not (yet) seen as a cash cow unlike the poor old motorist.
2. This government isn't manically pro bus unlike the loony Labour lot.
horizon

Post by horizon »

astronomically high fuel taxes,

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

andrewk wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

The government doesn't take motorists seriously either, astronomically high fuel taxes, exorbitant tax disc, poorly maintained roads, inadequate motorway network etc. The only two positive things I can see with regard to government policy in this area are:

Oh my... :? No hippy weirdos here, Horizon. :wink:

NUKe wrote:Good quality cycle paths which are well thought out and go where people want to go do encourage people to cycle, The Dutch model is the perfect example of this. Here in the UK there are plenty of examples of Cycles paths contributing to an increase in use. Here in Suffolk as Kesgrave expanded from a small village to a dormitory of Ipswich, the local council built a network of well thought out cycle paths. This increased the local high schools cycle usage to over 50%, which was for many years the highest in the countries.

I'm impressed. Doesn't sound like the Ipswich I knew. I guess a big part of that was the main road (old A12) being slowed down from 40 to 30 (any further to 20?), which likely encouraged most people to take other routes in/out of town- quite likely even more race the back way via Little Bealings to Martlesham, as I must admit to doing in my youth. There was always a very wide verge there though on the residential south side of the road, which I presume is the main cycle route to Kesgrave School. Is there now a safe way past the ('new') A12 to Martlesham besides running the gauntlet when the lights change? (Or Bealings rat-run). Be nice if there's a tunnel or bridge there.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

mrjemm wrote:I'm impressed. Doesn't sound like the Ipswich I knew. I guess a big part of that was the main road (old A12) being slowed down from 40 to 30 (any further to 20?), which likely encouraged most people to take other routes in/out of town- quite likely even more race the back way via Little Bealings to Martlesham, as I must admit to doing in my youth. There was always a very wide verge there though on the residential south side of the road, which I presume is the main cycle route to Kesgrave School. Is there now a safe way past the ('new') A12 to Martlesham besides running the gauntlet when the lights change? (Or Bealings rat-run). Be nice if there's a tunnel or bridge there.

The old A12 now the A1214 still is a little bit of rat run but the new estates to the south of this cater well for cyclists to the point where you can get to Heath road without touching the A1214 and a lot of it is purpose built cycleways the shared path still exists next to road but is still a pain to use to travel at speed but the kids ambling to and from School seem to like it. There are 2 cycling underpasses for crossing the A12 one at the intersection of the 12 and th1214 and one further down by the Police HQ through to Tescos.
NUKe

Post by mrjemm »

Good to know about the tunnels. Mind you, they've probably been there for years for all I know, not ridden round that way for many.

Have used those Kesgrave backstreets several times, but so easy to get lost in! A shame much of the Heath was lost to cardboard houses.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

andrewk wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Pleeze tell me you not being serious :roll:
W H Auden
andrewk

Post by andrewk »

reohn2 wrote:
andrewk wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Pleeze tell me you not being serious :roll:

Of course I'm being serious.