best cycling touring mag.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Peter W

Re: best cycling touring mag.

Post by Peter W »

Err Bryn (and all). Sorry for the outburst - hope I haven't fallen foul of some great rule or other by bursting with uncontained enthusiasm for life, with it's multitude of interests. :wink: Answer, Steam World, Heritage Railway, and Steam Railway.

As for bike mags, they must inevitably (in my view) be a disappointment because what more can they say to us about riding a bike that we haven't already found out, or just don't care about? Riding is a personal thing, isn't it?
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Hi chaps, I was only joking so don't take offence.

Actually I watched the prog on TV last night (Great Railway restorations or something) with Peter Snow.
I was in awe of the quality of the work they did restoring the old carriage on the Isle of Wight.
Certainly far more complicated than any bike restoration anyway.
fausto.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Peter W wrote:As for bike mags, they must inevitably (in my view) be a disappointment because what more can they say to us about riding a bike that we haven't already found out, or just don't care about? Riding is a personal thing, isn't it?

Sometimes it's personal but there's always more to discover, isn't there?

I feel crap editing and maybe commercial pressure to fill the pages with fence-sitting short-term product reviews or news has IMO allowed blogs and forums like this to replace magazines as the top way of sharing cycling ideas and getting detailed info about things. I've booked for and I'm looking forward to a cycling event that I read about on forums, not in any magazine.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote:http://bunyanvelo.com

A never ending spinner may say something about touring but it's not informative! ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Peter W wrote:Err Bryn (and all). Sorry for the outburst - hope I haven't fallen foul of some great rule or other by bursting with uncontained enthusiasm for life, with it's multitude of interests. :wink: Answer, Steam World, Heritage Railway, and Steam Railway.

As for bike mags, they must inevitably (in my view) be a disappointment because what more can they say to us about riding a bike that we haven't already found out, or just don't care about? Riding is a personal thing, isn't it?

Lots more can be said and written about riding bikes and about railways
Old railways make perfect cycleways but they should not be closed for that!
Maybe people could travel less by train, lines could be singled and cycleways added :?
I am proud to be a Pufferkuesser, the German word used to insult railfans, means "buffer kisser" :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Peter W

Post by Peter W »

I've got nothing against double decker buses Mr. Fausto. In fact I had a thing about the double decker trolley buses which served our town, when I was 10 years old. Couldn't make up my mind whether to be a train or a bus driver when I grew up. So my mother bought me a new and bigger bike (a growing lad) to shut me up!

Which reminds me - a genuine Mr. Plod policeman came round our junior school inspecting our bicycles, and insisting that their was only one correct setting of seat height for safe riding. Both feet had to be flat on the ground from a seated position!! (I remember even he looked a bit flummoxed when we all complained that we couldn't pedal them from that low seat position.)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if some 'right on' publicity conscious Chief Constable issued an edict demanding the same ridiculous thing! Let's hope they have more important topical gender issues to worry about!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The cops have changed a lot (?)
Many senior policepersons including chief constables are female, in London and elsewhere (and Berlin!)
+1

Last bumped by Cyril Haearn on 30 Jun 2018, 4:47pm.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies