touring set up bike wise ? - what bike ??

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
vdub

touring set up bike wise ? - what bike ??

Postby vdub » 15 Apr 2013, 10:43pm

sigh.. ok here goes.. i've spent far to much money over the years in many types of cycling styles and settling on the touring side of things but i don't to date have a official touring setup bike, many bikes yes and many bikes in different formats, but nothing exactly for the purpose.

anyway i'm looking for either Titanium or Steel bike, disc brakes, mudguards, pannier rack, bar bag, what can people suggest ?, willing to part ex current CX or Road bike if need be for second hand bike or new bike in shop purchase option, but i really don't want to go down the route of purchasing something not fit for purpose.

looking for a casual touring, a fast touring and a audax bike rolled into one if possible.

current bike fitting was 56cm / 56cm (both centre to centre measurements) and that was for road racing setup, how this differ's to touring setup i have no idea, maybe the same frame size but minor tweaks to bars stem positioning etc ?

look forward to come positive comments and assistance in obtaining the right bike.

thanks..

bikes4two

Re: touring set up bike wise ? - what bike ??

Postby bikes4two » 16 Apr 2013, 6:07am

Well, hopefully a member with time on their hands might be along to answer this often asked question for you. Alternatively if you search the forum, you'll find the answers for yourself.

For instance, if you look in Touring and Expedition at this thread, you'll see pictures of what people tour on and realise the many choices that there are.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey

andrewjoseph

Postby andrewjoseph » 16 Apr 2013, 3:38pm

my Justin Burls Ti bike designed for touring, great for day rides too.

--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 16 Apr 2013, 6:38pm

This is like going back to the old days of building a bike from scratch,...

You already have your shopping list; (ok not quite sure if you want steel or titanium) but you know you want; guards, hub brakes, racks, somewhere to put lights, obviously brake levers, gearing, wheels etc go without saying... I had endless fun with a blank frame and deciding what I wanted on it...lugs, bosses etc.....

You know what you want and also what you don't want... not sure what the problem is, take your ideas to someone who builds frames......
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 16 Apr 2013, 6:59pm

.....looking for a casual touring, a fast touring and a audax bike rolled into one if possible.........

You may need two bikes to fit that criteria,a full blown tourer won't "fly" and an Audax/light tourer won't carry a load too well.
It depends how much loaded touring you intend doing and on what kind of roads(gravel?) or how much fast stuff you envisage with a light load.

andrewjoseph
The Burls looks the bees knees, buuttt there doesn't look to be enough clearance under the fork for anything bigger than a 28mm tyre :?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 16 Apr 2013, 8:55pm

vdub wrote:sigh.. ok here goes.. i've spent far to much money over the years in many types of cycling styles and settling on the touring side of things but i don't to date have a official touring setup bike, many bikes yes and many bikes in different formats, but nothing exactly for the purpose.

anyway i'm looking for either Titanium or Steel bike, disc brakes, mudguards, pannier rack, bar bag, what can people suggest ?, willing to part ex current CX or Road bike if need be for second hand bike or new bike in shop purchase option, but i really don't want to go down the route of purchasing something not fit for purpose.

looking for a casual touring, a fast touring and a audax bike rolled into one if possible.

Any bike you can hang luggage on will do. I've done most of my touring on a hybrid.

You aren't just looking for an excuse to buy another bike? :wink:

Titanium may have a better chance of ticking all the boxes?

IMO, an audax bike / light tourer will also serve for most other touring purposes, as long as you aren't planning a round the world trek, or something.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Whippet

Postby Whippet » 16 Apr 2013, 9:13pm

If you can compromise on the disk brakes, I'd recommend the Spa titanium tourer. I got one in November for a winter trainer and this years LEJOG. I absolutely love it, super comfortable and the 32mm tyres roll exceptionally well. Free wheeling down long hills with my cycling club team mates, my tourer actually tends to creep ahead of their carbon fibre race bikes. I upgraded the chain rings to Stronglight and put ban Edelux dyno hub on as well as upgrading the rack to titanium. Only thing I'd change would be the Spa leather saddle that's still a plank after 1000 miles.
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 17s21p2554

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 16 Apr 2013, 9:15pm

Vorpal wrote:
Any bike you can hang luggage on will do.

I have to disagree,if the OP is going to load up an Audax/light touring bike with camping gear etc,etc,it won't do the job too well IMO.
Better to have something that'll cope with a heavy load and will take bigger tyres.

I've done most of my touring on a hybrid.

That's a different bike entirely to an audax/light touring bike

You aren't just looking for an excuse to buy another bike? :wink:

Of course s/he* is! :mrgreen:

Titanium may have a better chance of ticking all the boxes?

Why? other than it won't rust.

IMO, an audax bike / light tourer will also serve for most other touring purposes, as long as you aren't planning a round the world trek, or something.

It needn't be that extreme for an Audax/light tourer not not to fit the bill,loaded up with camping gear even for a week's tour,chuck in a couple of even smooth bridleways and a light bike will struggle especially if it'll only take 28mm tyres.
OTOH if the OP's sticking to tarmac and doesn't intend load lugging a light touring bike may do the job quite well.

* my guess the OP's a he :roll:

andrewjoseph

Postby andrewjoseph » 16 Apr 2013, 9:17pm

reohn2 wrote:
.....looking for a casual touring, a fast touring and a audax bike rolled into one if possible.........

You may need two bikes to fit that criteria,a full blown tourer won't "fly" and an Audax/light tourer won't carry a load too well.
It depends how much loaded touring you intend doing and on what kind of roads(gravel?) or how much fast stuff you envisage with a light load.

andrewjoseph
The Burls looks the bees knees, buuttt there doesn't look to be enough clearance under the fork for anything bigger than a 28mm tyre :?

well, there are 25mm tyres on in that picture, and i tour on 35mm ribmo, which is quite a tall tyre. it is an easy fit under mudguards.
--

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 16 Apr 2013, 9:31pm

andrewjoseph wrote:
well, there are 25mm tyres on in that picture, and i tour on 35mm ribmo, which is quite a tall tyre. it is an easy fit under mudguards.

Must be the photo,I'm very familiar with Ribmos both in 32 and 35mm and I agree they don't skimp on size :)
BTW a good tyre choice as well as a nice bike :D

andrewjoseph

Postby andrewjoseph » 16 Apr 2013, 10:22pm

reohn2 wrote:
andrewjoseph wrote:

Must be the photo,I'm very familiar with Ribmos both in 32 and 35mm and I agree they don't skimp on size :)
BTW a good tyre choice as well as a nice bike :D

had it for 4 years now, and still in love! :D
--

vdub

Postby vdub » 17 Apr 2013, 1:04am

ok maybe a little more info.

i have a trek 2.3 for sportive / fast audax rides and only used in dry weather (hence used three times i think in 2012 !. no mudguards on this, no rack and 23mm tyres. just for out and out speed and clean tarmac.

i have a Cube SL road Pro set up with flat bars and 23mm tyres on, after purchasing frame and fork i found out that the bike was giving some discomfort and after being told the frame was 56cm i did not measure it, after measuring it c-c seat tube was only 52/53cm and top tube was 51cm, so not the ideal 56 / 56 setup which i like (seat tube c-t is actually 56cm)

i have a carerra vanquish with scwarbe marathon plus 25mm tyres on , mudguards, and if wanting to carry anything i wear a rucksack with what i'd usually put in panniers., this is used for club run's and wet weather runs, audax's

i have a on one 29'er with a rack fitted (and soon to be full length mudguards with fabricated mounts), scwarbe marathon plus 35mm tyres on hyrdo disc brakes

i think my ideal is drop bars, hyrdo / cable disc brakes, steel / tit frame, steel fork., with the above, i'll be selling some of the above and keeping an eye out i think for a steel disc brake tourer with drop bars seems sensible.

if money was no object i'd go have one made to measure but times are a bit tough right now.. need to use what i have or sell something to purchase other.

Whippet

Postby Whippet » 17 Apr 2013, 7:47am

The latest Dawes Galaxy Ultra comes with disk brakes.

Gearoidmuar

Postby Gearoidmuar » 17 Apr 2013, 8:19am

The fast audax camping touring bike is a mythical beast.

In the real world you can have a fast audax bike or a touring beast.

Having had several touring bikes in my time has led me to the following conclusions.
1. You will never approach the comfort of bullhorn bars on drop bars. With bullhorn bars you will not notice your hands.
2. MTBs have the best brakes and the best gearing.
3. It's relatively easy to adapt most hardtail MTBs to touring. You can get little adapters for the ends of the carrier and as in this one, an adapter to fit the seat post. I've done Lejog on this bike. The mudguards are fitted with zipties. The stem is shorter and higher. This is desirable as most MTB setups are too long and low for touring. This bike has hydraulic brakes but disks are probably better if mechanical for touring.Image
I also have a Thorn Raven Tour (Rohloff). The Thorn Raven is really an MTB type frame and a great bike.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 17 Apr 2013, 8:51am

Vdub:-
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=70333
Rides like a dream on and off road,not the lightest bike in the world at 13kg but if I only had to have one bike,that'd be it :)