Carradice alternative saddlebag

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattsccm

Carradice alternative saddlebag

Post by mattsccm »

Can anyone suggest an alternative to Carradice for a traditional style saddlebag. Not against Carradice especially so much as wondering what else is out there. Materials not an issue at this point.
CREPELLO

Re: Carradice alternative saddlebag

Post by CREPELLO »

I'm not aware of anything similar to Carradice saddle bags at the same price point and same style. There was a Taiwanese range of Carradice copies available on ebay about a year ago. Not seen them since.

Then there's this from Planet X http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/BAF ... lint_trail
Doubtless there are other boutique brands available, such as Giles Berthoud.

I've only used Carrdice myself.
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

There's all sorts of stuff around. Specialized do a nice range of small, discreet bags which are perfect for a few tools and spares. If you're feeling flush then check out Gilles Berthoud's extensive range. If you want something handmade to your specifications (with matching prices) then Shoichi Watanabe in Japan will happily make you bags in any shape, colour, material and lining that will fit anywhere on any bike. Acorn Bags in the US do a very nice range of bags, too. Getting them shipped to the UK can be a challenge though, since they don't ship abroad. The simplest solution usually involves getting a contact in the US to receive the order and then forward it on.

Whatever you get, it's worth getting something with a quick release mechanism. Leather straps and buckles look pretty but they're slow and fiddly to use - especially when you're cold, wet, in the dark or in a hurry - for owners whilst at the same time being easy to undo by thieves. The same saddlebags with the quick release mechanism are infinitely more useful.

Or you could just make your own.
E25
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

pete75

Post by pete75 »

vjosullivan wrote:
Whatever you get, it's worth getting something with a quick release mechanism. Leather straps and buckles look pretty but they're slow and fiddly to use - especially when you're cold, wet, in the dark or in a hurry - for owners whilst at the same time being easy to undo by thieves. The same saddlebags with the quick release mechanism are infinitely more useful.

Do you have problems undoing your belt as well??

Carradice buckles are quick and easy to undo for owners too :)
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker