Removal of lock left on bike stand

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
QUIST

Removal of lock left on bike stand

Postby QUIST » 15 May 2013, 10:28am

Removal of lock from pubic place on bike stand by local authority ( Derby City council)

a lock left ona bike stand has been removed presumably by the local authority ( when no bike was attached to it - any suggestions of means of redress bar Small claims

Thanks in advance

toby Lintern

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Removal of lock left on bike stand

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 15 May 2013, 10:45am

Hi,
At one time we did,nt lock our doors or our bikes, once you have had your bike nicked you never leave it unlocked.
Nowerdays I never leave any of my property where I cant see it.
Some jobsworth under unwritten policy, better chance that you wil win the rollover, good luck.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 15 May 2013, 10:49am

Where was the stand?
Was any notice given?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

QUIST

Postby QUIST » 15 May 2013, 10:58am

The stand is in a public place within view of CCTV covering a pelican crossing.

It was the lock which was removed no warning was given. I do not see why the lock could have stayed there. There seems little point in placing it the employer provided cycle accomodation on the basis that it will presumably be removed if not in use

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 15 May 2013, 10:59am

Not sure us members of the public have any redress for damage to our personal property left unsupervised and not in use... would be interested to learn the details of the way the law deals with this - personally I have left heavy locks at sites where I lock bikes regularly, but they have tended to be company bike facilities, where I would lock my bike daily. Different to leaving a lock lying around in a public place. Not sure of the OP's exact circumstance though.
Can see why someone would find the removal of 'abandonded' bike/lock combo aggrivating, but lock on its own... different kettle of fish.
(rides: Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)

robgul

Postby robgul » 15 May 2013, 11:44am

Seems to me that the LA was probably just tidying up the detritus that cycle racks seem to attract up and down the country - unless there is some prior arrangement then leaving a lock on a stand - presumably for convenience (not having to transport it) or bagging a space - or both - for it to be removed doesn't seem unreasonable.

The primary purpose of public bikes stands is for bikes .... not just locks on their own.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker

ukdodger

Postby ukdodger » 15 May 2013, 12:56pm

robgul wrote:Seems to me that the LA was probably just tidying up the detritus that cycle racks seem to attract up and down the country - unless there is some prior arrangement then leaving a lock on a stand - presumably for convenience (not having to transport it) or bagging a space - or both - for it to be removed doesn't seem unreasonable.

The primary purpose of public bikes stands is for bikes .... not just locks on their own.

Rob

Yes and surely one lock will attract more locks.

andrewjoseph

Postby andrewjoseph » 15 May 2013, 1:07pm

QUIST wrote:Removal of lock from pubic place on bike stand by local authority ( Derby City council)

:shock:
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.

Ambler

Postby Ambler » 15 May 2013, 1:25pm

Assuming they "own" the land and bike rack, they can remove it if they like,as it is their property.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 15 May 2013, 1:28pm

AFAICT local to me the normal MO for clearing bike stands of 'abandoned' bikes is to tag those which have not moved (for months) for a couple of weeks at least. The tags have a warning that the council will remove said bike by a certain date as it appears to be abandoned.

I can't see why they couldn't do the same thing with a lock, too.

Arguably 'proper' bike facilities would have locks built in, that you could use for a £1 returnable deposit, a bit like a supermarket trolley. Some chance of that though....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

meic

Postby meic » 15 May 2013, 1:33pm

Ambler wrote:Assuming they "own" the land and bike rack, they can remove it if they like,as it is their property.

You might think that this is true but the law isnt that simple.

To the best of my knowledge, if somebody came and put a lock on my fence and I removed it by damaging it I can be charged with criminal damage.
Yma o Hyd

QUIST

Postby QUIST » 15 May 2013, 1:39pm

Right then to Mssrs Sue Grabbit and Run

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 15 May 2013, 1:54pm

Hi,
All public cycle stands should have a lock where you place £2 coin and receive key which you hold till you return.
If key is not returned an no bike is in lock then it can be reset new tmbler and key, lose money.
The key would be recessed so it cannot broken easily and you have to engage that key for a refund onf £ 1.
Also whilst on subject, a cycle stand should be one you dont mind leaning your bike against / suitable, not a simple metal hand rail, slippy and hard :x
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.

Mark1978

Postby Mark1978 » 15 May 2013, 3:24pm

The council can remove items they think are abandoned, but clearly in this case it wasn't abandoned. Geocaching gives a good reference, that just because someone has placed a container somewhere and it's out in public, it isn't abandoned so anyone removing it would still be guilty of theft.

QUIST

Postby QUIST » 15 May 2013, 4:05pm

I cannot see any reason they could assert it was abandoned - it was used on Tuesday - in good condition and well greased so a pair of bolt croppers would slip on the rubber enclosed chain