Removal of lock left on bike stand

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
karlt

Re: Removal of lock left on bike stand

Post by karlt »

Someone who doesn't understand that cyclists leave locks on stands they use regularly, and why, will have assumed that they're abandoned and decided they looked untidy.
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

Or perhaps they thought this might be afoot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_padlocks

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

karlt wrote:Someone who doesn't understand that cyclists leave locks on stands they use regularly, and why, will have assumed that they're abandoned and decided they looked untidy.

But to be fair it's hard to know which locks are left there and which are really abandoned. Also I guess many council workers wouldn't have the knowledge to know why cyclists don't want to be carrying their lock with them all the time.
karlt

Post by karlt »

Mark1978 wrote:
karlt wrote:Someone who doesn't understand that cyclists leave locks on stands they use regularly, and why, will have assumed that they're abandoned and decided they looked untidy.

But to be fair it's hard to know which locks are left there and which are really abandoned. Also I guess many council workers wouldn't have the knowledge to know why cyclists don't want to be carrying their lock with them all the time.

That was rather my point.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

QUIST wrote:Removal of lock from pubic place on bike stand by local authority ( Derby City council)

a lock left ona bike stand has been removed presumably by the local authority ( when no bike was attached to it - any suggestions of means of redress bar Small claims

Thanks in advance

toby Lintern

Anyway to answer the question. Contact the council, ask them if they have your lock, could they please return your property to you.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

If there is no sign saying locks must not be left there then it is reasonable to expect it not to be forcibly removed by the council - unless it is in a state of decay and obviously abandoned.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If it's greasy then clearly it's abandoned and dirty...

I'd suggest asking for it back. It's not beyond the wit of man to put a discrete tag over the keyhole to say that the lock will be removed in 7 or 14 days...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

stoobs wrote:Or perhaps they thought this might be afoot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_padlocks

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Trust me, there's no love padlocks in Derby
gordy

Post by gordy »

What makes you think that it was the Local authority who removed it?
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I seem to remember reading about some thieves who look for locks that are regularly used to lock the same bike in the same place.
When the bike is not there they cut the lock off and then wait for the bike to return, in the knowledge that the bike owner will not be carrying a decent lock (if one at all).
Then easy pickings safe in knowing what time the owner will be back.

I have no idea if this is the explanation but it could be used as a warning to the OP and others of the risk of not carrying a good lock or leaving the lock you use every day in the same place.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
gaz

Post by gaz »

QUIST, does this relate in any way to your previous thread?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
QUIST

Post by QUIST »

It was in prime condition. No notices were displayed why should i have to assume it would be removed God only knows what they will say when I ask them
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

I think leaving a lock on a rack is a bit selfish as it seems to suggest the rack is for the private use of the lock owner and no one else should park their bike there. If I came to a rack which had a lock already fitted I would be reluctant to lock my bike to that particular rack in case the owner of the lock already there arrived and took umbrage that I had used their rack or locker and in revenge locked my bike to the rack with their lock.
QUIST

Post by QUIST »

It was not a locker and there were 3 other racks avaialble
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

Come on Quist, how many padlocks have you left "reserving" things around Derby? :wink:

Do you put you bag on train seats around you to reserve them too? :wink:

I always head straight for those seats on trains.