Removal of lock left on bike stand

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
BeeKeeper

Re: Removal of lock left on bike stand

Postby BeeKeeper » 16 May 2013, 10:30am

"Germans" and "towels" comes to mind.

QUIST

Postby QUIST » 16 May 2013, 10:34am

I don't reserve them or imply it is reserved after all if used by other cyclists sucj as your self said lock could be removed and used elsewhere ........

I am more concerned with cycle security.....

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 16 May 2013, 11:01am

BeeKeeper wrote:If I came to a rack which had a lock already fitted I would be reluctant to lock my bike to that particular rack in case the owner of the lock already there arrived and took umbrage that I had used their rack or locker and in revenge locked my bike to the rack with their lock.
But you could always claim that there are two 'sides' to a Sheffield stand, and that you had merely used the side opposite to that which the lock owner is 'reserving'.

I wonder if it is an offence to deliberately lock someone else's bike with your lock (assuming there was a way of proving it was deliberate)?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

karlt

Postby karlt » 16 May 2013, 11:38am

661-Pete wrote:
BeeKeeper wrote:If I came to a rack which had a lock already fitted I would be reluctant to lock my bike to that particular rack in case the owner of the lock already there arrived and took umbrage that I had used their rack or locker and in revenge locked my bike to the rack with their lock.
But you could always claim that there are two 'sides' to a Sheffield stand, and that you had merely used the side opposite to that which the lock owner is 'reserving'.

I wonder if it is an offence to deliberately lock someone else's bike with your lock (assuming there was a way of proving it was deliberate)?

I doubt it, but maybe the aggrieved party could possibly bring a civil case under negligence. It's not unanalogous to some berk blocking your car in in a car park. There's a good website for crap parking, but its name alas would foul the naughty word filters. If you don't mind naughty words and like laughing at stupid drivers, then www.youparklikea****.com is a good giggle, but you have to work out the right very very naughty word to replace the stars.

But I digress.

Sooper8

Postby Sooper8 » 16 May 2013, 1:56pm

Phone BBC Radio Derby, tell them you've got a great little story of mystery and intrigue...
They'd love that kind of thing,it would run all morning on their station- then a LBS would be desperate to donate a new lock for some publicity and if it was a 'clear up' excercise then whoever has the clear up job can highlight their point too.
Everyone wins?
Or alternativly just accept it and buy a new one?
Everything you love,everything meaningful with depth & history,all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated,mishandled,watered down,cheapened, repackaged,marketed & sold to the people you hate

stoobs

Postby stoobs » 16 May 2013, 2:18pm

Sooper8 wrote:Phone BBC Radio Derby, tell them you've got a great little story of mystery and intrigue...
They'd love that kind of thing,it would run all morning on their station- then a LBS would be desperate to donate a new lock for some publicity and if it was a 'clear up' excercise then whoever has the clear up job can highlight their point too.
Everyone wins?
Or alternativly just accept it and buy a new one?

...but don't leave them lying around in future!

pete75

Postby pete75 » 16 May 2013, 2:23pm

BeeKeeper wrote:"Germans" and "towels" comes to mind.

Maybe we've been doing Germans an injustice and it's actually our friend from Derby leaving all the towels. :D

WrightsW5

Postby WrightsW5 » 17 May 2013, 7:29pm

I don't know why bike parking areas where people do established bike parking stuff can't have a bike lock rail????? A rail shaped differently so no-one will put their bike there and anyone who wants to can leave a lock and bother no-one else.

CyberKnight

Postby CyberKnight » 18 May 2013, 12:24pm

WrightsW5 wrote:I don't know why bike parking areas where people do established bike parking stuff can't have a bike lock rail????? A rail shaped differently so no-one will put their bike there and anyone who wants to can leave a lock and bother no-one else.

+1
My employer has done the exact same thing so bike locks can be left in the bike sheds but not actually on the racks themselves so the rack is not full of locks blocking other peoples access to the racks.Before they did this it was a right pain getting a space as the racks were full of locks .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 18 May 2013, 1:16pm

When an employer provides bike parking, I think it's a good idea if the regular bike users offer to help with the admin of the scheme (even better if they can be involved in the planning of any new bike parking.)

All these things like regular users bagging spaces / infrequent users hogging spaces with bikes they have more or less abandoned can be a real pita for the employer, while the issues tend to be clear for the regular riders.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 18 May 2013, 10:26pm

QUIST wrote:I am more concerned with cycle security.....

Leaving a lock on a public use rack isn't the most secure way of operating.
A left lock can't be relied on to be usable when you want it, be that rust, removal by officialdom, or some enterprising thief having disabled it (a quick squirt of superglue would do it). If you can't use the lock, you've got to leave the bike unlocked (or go back home). Then what if you want to stop off somewhere on the way home, such as calling in at the corner shop for a pint of milk? Again, leave the bike unlocked or do without.
If you can be bothered to carry the lock, you can rely on being able to use it when you want it.

The thing is that most locks on racks are not actually in regular use, but have been abandoned by people who no longer leave their bike at that rack.
A count of locks on the racks at work in the late morning when the racks were full revealed 41 locks on the racks with no bike attached. In the evening there were 56 (plus 5 abandoned bikes). So, almost 3/4 of left locks weren't in use.