Yes, sorry, it is another which bike question

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Alport

Yes, sorry, it is another which bike question

Postby Alport » 19 May 2013, 8:46pm

I'm sorry that it's another which bike question - (although maybe it will help others to decide as well)
For more time than is healthy I have been considering (dithering and going round in circles) an Audax style bike with a titanium frame and it seems to me that the most likely contenders are:
Spa's Audax
Van Nicholas Yukon
Sabbath September
I've read lots of reviews, the stand out ones I keep revisiting being the CTC article on the Spa and Paul Smith's blog entries about his Yukon - but you can also find lots of favourable reviews of the September.
So I guess I'd like to know why the Yukon and the September are priced so much higher than Spa's bike? It looks like the Spa Audax offers best value for money - but I'd love to hear what others think.
Thanks

samsbike

Re: Yes, sorry, it is another which bike question

Postby samsbike » 19 May 2013, 9:12pm

I suspect for the Sabbath it can be more custom hence the price tag.

I also suspect that the van nichs and spa are made in the same factory, but I am sure someone will correct me shortly.

bikercolin

Postby bikercolin » 19 May 2013, 10:14pm

Im no expert but took up Spa's offer of a test ride (in the Dales) for 40 miles and bought the Bike with no quibble on return great shop and service.

meic

Postby meic » 19 May 2013, 10:36pm

There is a new kid on the block to look at now, the Sabbath Aspire

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1244079/produ ... -bike.aspx
Yma o Hyd

meic

Postby meic » 19 May 2013, 10:38pm

samsbike wrote:I suspect for the Sabbath it can be more custom hence the price tag.

I also suspect that the van nichs and spa are made in the same factory, but I am sure someone will correct me shortly.

They dont look like they were built in the same place.
Yma o Hyd

TonyR

Postby TonyR » 19 May 2013, 10:40pm

The answer to your question is go and test ride them all and decide that way. A bike is far more than its spec and if you are going to be riding it a lot, a bike you enjoy riding is what matters.

CREPELLO

Postby CREPELLO » 19 May 2013, 11:28pm

Alport wrote:So I guess I'd like to know why the Yukon and the September are priced so much higher than Spa's bike?
Well, with the Spa, you're buying direct from the maker, so they can reduce cost a bit because of fewer middle man costs. The Spa does have a more basic finish, which again is bound to reduce costs. But that wouldn't bother me. Apparently, Scotchbrite pads can bring the finish up nicely.

Spa are relatively new to the bike building scene, so I guess they're being very competitive on price to help establish themselves. Spa will offer as much customization as Van Nicholas - does Sabbath? Spa have a good reputation for wheels as well, don't know about the other two.

RickH

Postby RickH » 19 May 2013, 11:59pm

Another Ti bike to throw into the mix - Enigma. I don't know how they compare price or spec wise but I know a guy (a big heavy guy) who rides one and he's very happy with it.

Rick.

Alport

Postby Alport » 20 May 2013, 6:28pm

Thanks everyone
My heart does indeed say Spa - I like the understated appearance of the bike, the fact that it's produced by a shop which clearly knows its business, and that it's designed by a very knowledgeable chap as well!
I guess I wanted to see if there were any obvious factors I was missing before I make the journey north to see and try one out.

maxglide

Postby maxglide » 21 May 2013, 3:53pm

What Newbie Tourer for £600?
Postby maxglide

Sorry. It’s another one of those, What Bike questions.
at Sun May 19, 2013 7:41 pm

Then, an hour later, at Sun May 19, 2013 8:46 pm

Alport wrote:I'm sorry that it's another which bike question

How original...