Tandem advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
martinn

Re: Tandem advice

Postby martinn » 4 Jun 2013, 12:27pm

Thanks for the links,

martin

Milfred Cubicle

Postby Milfred Cubicle » 5 Jun 2013, 7:33pm

I don't know where you are located, but if you could speak to or visit J.D. Tandems, you'd get very good advice, and they sometimes sell off their demo tandems.
We have a Dawes, and it's a 15 inch frame for the stoker. It fits my wife at 5"4, and both of my kids from about 7 years, with crank shorteners. I think fitting a kiddy-crank might be tricky on smaller frames, due to lack of space.
Just in case you are anywhere near the North-East, you would be welcome to try ours for size. We have two tandems, the 17/15 mentioned, and also an 18/16.

xpc316e

Postby xpc316e » 5 Jun 2013, 8:58pm

May I ask how old your potential stoker is, or what her height is? I bought a unique Moulton-based tandem through an advert on the Tandem club's website and it easily accommodates both my wife and young son. I have fitted crank shorteners for him, but many small wheeled tandems could meet your needs. If you are anywhere near me, you are most welcome to have a try of our bike.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, and the latest acquisition, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent.

Mr.Benton

Postby Mr.Benton » 5 Jun 2013, 10:06pm

We have a landescape tandem bought from http://www.thetandemshop.com/. the rear seat can be raised or lowered to fit a child or an adult. The bullhorn handlebars flip round so the horns face backwards if a child is on the back. I fit crank shorteners if a child is on the back.

tandem.jpg

Neil

somebloke

Postby somebloke » 6 Jun 2013, 12:26am

Okay. Probably a good idea to get a tandem. The opportunity to ride together is great, particularly when strength/fitness/road experience is not matched between the two of you.
Personally, I would stay away from triplets, kiddicranks and all that. Set the tandem up comfortably and efficiently for you and your partner.
Children grow up very rapidly. We moved quickly from a child seat, through a trailerbike and on to separate bikes for the children. The trailer bike was great and got well used. It turned the tandem into a triplet until our son was big enough to ride independently. The trailer bike also had the advantage of being available to fix to my solo. As soon as the trailer bike became redundant, we sold it and still had the tandem nicely set up.

Your choice of tandem is dependent on what you can afford really. Find something comfortable that handles well without paying too much. If things don't work out, you'll not have wasted a pot of money and, if you really take to it, you can always upgrade later.