Folding Locks

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
groberts

Folding Locks

Post by groberts »

Saw a bloke using one of these at the weekend + liked the look as it tucked away in a small rubber case fixed under the downtube; forgot to ask him what make it was! Does anyone have any experience of these + comments?
Aikon

Re: Folding Locks

Post by Aikon »

Specialized used to do one, more recently I've seen an Abus one in bike shops.
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

geomannie

Post by geomannie »

I have one of the Abus folding locks. It is pretty solid but very easy to carry. Touch-wood no-one has ever tried to break it so I cannot vouch for its strength, but probably a lot better than a mid-range cable, probably not as good as a U-lock.

IMHO a got compromise between potability and security.

Cheers

geomannie
geomannie
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

The Combo Lite is one I'm going to consider for my JoGLE, 650g seems fairly light for the level of security.
BE1

Post by BE1 »

Aikon wrote:The Combo Lite is one I'm going to consider for my JoGLE, 650g seems fairly light for the level of security.

I have one of these for touring

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Abus-Futura-64-Mini-U-Lock/dp/B0026B4RBO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369728906&sr=8-1&keywords=futura+granit

690g and an 11 on Abus's own scale rather than a 7 for the combo lite

I use it with one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Kryptoflex-Cable-Lock-213/dp/B000NOO3ZQ/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

This gives some flexibility to lock bags, lock to a tree etc.

I stress that this is my touring set up, if I'm in London the bike gets the full "Fahgettaboudit" treatment :o

I'd not be tempted to use a folding lock in London (except possibly the Granit X) as from what I have read they do not offer enough protection.