When are you too old?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
irc

Re: When are you too old?

Postby irc » 29 May 2013, 5:01pm

There was a nice article about a group of older riders in the Glasgow Herald. Seems to be a case of use it or lose it. Keep healthy and active and cycling into the 80s is perfectly possible.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/life-styl ... s-1.931134

ambodach

Postby ambodach » 29 May 2013, 7:50pm

It is all down to luck tho' perhaps lifestyle may have some influence. So long as your health holds up you can continue cycling. I got struck with polymyalgia rheumatica at age 76. While I can still cycle it has sapped my stamina considerably and it is taking a long time to build up any strength and any distance over 20 miles on my local roads is a problem. Mind you I reckon that is about half of what I could manage on mainland flatter roads.The message is so long as you can do it go for it.I am training now for a short camping trip at age 78.Time will tell but I keep hoping for " one last year".

Richard Fairhurst

Postby Richard Fairhurst » 29 May 2013, 9:12pm

I'm 38. I've just finished riding the C2C. The only guy who overtook me (very very comfortably, on Hartside) was at least 25 years older than me. He very charitably pointed to my panniers and commented "I wouldn't fancy doing this with those bags", but frankly he'd have (excuse my French) whupped my ass anyway.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides

Cherwell

Postby Cherwell » 29 May 2013, 9:51pm

Dave W wrote:Just wondering at what age cycling becomes too much effort. When does it become impossible to cycle up those hills? When do you stop improving?
I wouldn't know because I'm so young and athletic still. :wink:

I’ve just received my entry for the Oxford Tri Vet 100 mile ride. This is open to CTC members over 50 years of age. Of the 65 riders entered, 3 are over 80, 13 are in their 70s, 30 in their 60s and 19 in their 50s.

We’ll probably all be using triple chain rings to get up the hills and we won’t be racing or worrying about how long it takes. Improving is a relative term and I suppose we still do it because we like it and it makes us feel good. You're never too old.

MarkF

Postby MarkF » 29 May 2013, 10:08pm

I am 51, cycled across Spain, Bilbao to Malaga last summer and am getting stronger all the time. I am looking forward to retirement when I can get some really long rides in.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 29 May 2013, 10:39pm

I'm 70. Last week I did one of my favourite rides - 133 miles - no problem, but it took about an hour and a half longer than 30 years ago. I don't go for it - I just sit back and watch the lovely countryside go by.

Last year, at the age of 82, one of our members did a 10mile time trial in a second or two over the half hour - and he has a pacemaker! One of our now deceased members had a new frame built as an 80th birthday present for himself. He was still riding it at 90. Several of our regular riding members are well into their eighties.

Don't worry about it - you can't do anything about it. Unless you're a Yorkshireman - we get a new bike when we're 75 - a Yorkshireman couldn't possibly not get his full wear out of anything................

Tinhorseman

Postby Tinhorseman » 30 May 2013, 7:32am

Met three guys at Semaine Federale a couple of years ago aged between 75 and 85 - they were either just riding or had just ridden (can't remember which - my age lol) 125 miles fully loaded!
A guy was in hospital when my grandma was in for hip op' having his pinned I think, he'd fallen off his bike - in his 90s - at that age they wouldn't have operated but made an exception on account of his fitness.
Sit in a chair or ride a bike for opposite results!

chrisc

Postby chrisc » 30 May 2013, 9:53am

I am nearly 68 and convinced .. well, determined .. that my best athletic (cycling and running) achievements are still to come ! Triumph of hope over reality perhaps ? :lol:
Tourer : 2010 Giant CRS City 4.0
Other : 1963 Denton retro (now back in the loft!)

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 30 May 2013, 9:53am

ambodach wrote:It is all down to luck tho' perhaps lifestyle may have some influence. So long as your health holds up you can continue cycling. I got struck with polymyalgia rheumatica at age 76. While I can still cycle it has sapped my stamina considerably and it is taking a long time to build up any strength and any distance over 20 miles on my local roads is a problem. Mind you I reckon that is about half of what I could manage on mainland flatter roads.The message is so long as you can do it go for it.I am training now for a short camping trip at age 78.Time will tell but I keep hoping for " one last year".

Have you considered getting some electricity to aid the stamina?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 30 May 2013, 10:51am

ambodach wrote:It is all down to luck tho' perhaps lifestyle may have some influence. So long as your health holds up you can continue cycling..................The message is so long as you can do it go for it.I am training now for a short camping trip at age 78.Time will tell but I keep hoping for " one last year".

good for you ambodach - more power to you - enjoy the camping. Every December 31st, say to yourself "........one last year...........".

E.C.Ryder

Postby E.C.Ryder » 30 May 2013, 2:52pm

Your never too old to cycle, just ask anybody that ride with the 40 plus cycling club.

http://www.fortypluscc.co.uk

JohnW

Postby JohnW » 30 May 2013, 6:12pm

I know this isn't especially appropriate, but : "....old cyclists never die - they just go a bit stiff in the chain......"

ChrisButch

Postby ChrisButch » 30 May 2013, 7:08pm

One objective reason for the abiity to cycle to a greater age than many other forms of athletic activity (particularly runnning) is the relative lack of stress on the joints. Most runners' knees go eventually, but this is rarer for cyclists.
The main effects of aging on a rider who keeps himself fit, other than the obvious ones of a very gradual loss of muscle mass and strength and of lung capacity, are that it takes longer to warm up, longer to recover, and longer to regain fitness after an interruption. That's why so many older cyclists insist on riding every day if they can, including in horrible winter weather - we know how hard it will be to start again after a lengthy break.
Incidentally, there's currently a Guy's Medical School study (mentioned in the AUK magazine not long ago) of the physiology of older athletes, and in particular cyclists, who continue to participate in demanding endurance events into their sixties and beyond. Apparently there's been little academic work on this, despite the many more general studies of the benefits of exercise for the elderly.

fimm

Postby fimm » 31 May 2013, 1:57pm

There was a gentleman called George Berwick (I hope I have that correct) on a tandem on the audax I did on Saturday. "Only" (in the context of this thread) 75 (I don't know how old the pilot is) - but the audax was 300 hilly km...
Of course it's a race...

skin and bone

Postby skin and bone » 2 Jun 2013, 8:00pm

When you spend 14 hours riding 120 miles to get somewhere that is only 5 miles away. Probably too old when you have to carry a name and address tag for the old bill to return you home :wink: