Riding with a catheter

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
eileithyia

Re: Riding with a catheter

Postby eileithyia » 2 Jun 2013, 10:42am

TonyR wrote:
Phil Fouracre wrote:What on earth is wrong with using perfectly normal biological names. As far as catheters go, I have been using one for paragliding for a while and it works really well. Probably simpler in that I just run the tube down the inside of the leg of my trousers, lift leg out of harness when I need to use it, give it a quick shake and put it back! If you wore leggins, stretchy Lycra you could simply run the tube inside, and it would be held in position. Urologist I spoke to asked if I wanted a bag, no need, at 5000' I wasn't really bothered where it went after it left me!! I would have thought any sort of bag would be a real pain, in more ways than one. Look at Conveen Optima on the net, perfect kit, very. Kind lady even sends samples and a special sausage measuring device!! :wink:

Remind me not to look up when you are paragliding overhead! :shock: :shock:

Ugh likewise that's as bad yellow rain from crane operators! :shock:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

Phil Fouracre

Postby Phil Fouracre » 2 Jun 2013, 5:00pm

Just close your eyes and you'll be fine!! Seriously though! Warm water at that height, will have evaporated long before it gets to you :D
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 20 Sep 2017, 8:05pm

Reviving an old thread.

After a recent bladder infection, I've been diagnosed with an enlarged prostate and am currently on the waiting list for an operation. I've had a catheter with a flip flo valve fitted for 5 weeks and have not ridden during that time. I'm wondering if it is possible to cycle with a catheter fitted. Above posts seems to suggest that it is.

My concern is the vibration caused by road cycling might make it uncomfortable and also what to do with the tube and valve whilst riding.

Any advice or shared experiences welcome.

Phil Fouracre

Postby Phil Fouracre » 20 Sep 2017, 8:48pm

Blimey! Was it that long ago? Shouldn't be a problem with vibration, I think most important is what you wear, and, how you route the tube to support it and not put any tension on the connections! I'd definitely go for leggings/trousers and terminate the tube at shoe sole level.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 20 Sep 2017, 8:55pm

Phil Fouracre wrote:Blimey! Was it that long ago? Shouldn't be a problem with vibration, I think most important is what you wear, and, how you route the tube to support it and not put any tension on the connections! I'd definitely go for leggings/trousers and terminate the tube at shoe sole level.

I don't really want a tube running down my leg. I have about 6 inches of tube and then the tap, which is normally strapped to the top of my leg. I can tuck the tube and tap away in my shorts somehow.

I only need to "go" every couple of hours, so no need to go on the move.

georgew

Postby georgew » 25 Sep 2017, 11:19am

With regard to all the problems around using a catheter and bag while cycling.....why not just use "intermittent catherisation". Carry a catheter with you while cycling and every four hours or so find a private spot and use the catheter.
Anti-bacterial wipes and a disposal bag keeps everything hygienic.

As a long-time catheter user I've found that it's best to be aware that the wearing of racing-style Lycra shorts which create a warm, damp atmosphere tend to create conditions very suitable for bacteria to flourish....and it's no fun having a urinary tract infection while cycle-touring and especially if this spreads to the kidneys.

Return to “Does anyone know … ?”