Comfortable saddle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
RickH

Re: Comfortable saddle

Post by RickH »

Ayesha wrote:The layer next to the skin is Chamois leather...

I've not seen a pair of shorts with chamois leather, or anything vaguely resembling it, for many years. Maybe I just haven't looked in the right place :?

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

RickH wrote:
Ayesha wrote:The layer next to the skin is Chamois leather...

I've not seen a pair of shorts with chamois leather, or anything vaguely resembling it, for many years. Maybe I just haven't looked in the right place :?

Rick.

..............steady Rick - get misunderstood and you can get arrested for that.............
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Vorpal wrote:
ukdodger wrote:Eh? 'Layers' in shorts.

Cycling shorts, even cheap ones, have layers in the padding. The inside layer stays in place next to the skin. The other layers can move against each other without causing chaffing.

I don't need to wear cycling shorts. I merely find them more comfortable. I actually prefer them mostly because they don't have seams. I have had trouble with seams chaffing me in the past. I prefer the thin padding in cheap shorts to the thick, shaped ones in expensive shorts.

Hmmm. I dunno about that. The movement of your leg against the saddle is a lot longer I would have thought than what would be possible between any layers in shorts.

I just checked my shorts. There are no layers but then they arent cycling specific.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ukdodger wrote:Hmmm. I dunno about that. The movement of your leg against the saddle is a lot longer I would have thought than what would be possible between any layers in shorts.

I just checked my shorts. There are no layers but then they arent cycling specific.

IMHO not all people are happy on any saddle,not all people are happy with any shorts,not all posteriors are the same shape or similarly "upholstered".
That's why there are so many different saddles and shorts.
Some people wonder what all the fuss is about and just ride in perfect comfort.Others seek the "holy grail" some find it others are still looking.
One thing's for sure,some people are happy all of the time,all are happy some of the time,but all the people aren't happy all of the time :mrgreen:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

reohn2 wrote:
ukdodger wrote:Hmmm. I dunno about that. The movement of your leg against the saddle is a lot longer I would have thought than what would be possible between any layers in shorts.

IMHO not all people are happy on any saddle,not all people are happy with any shorts,not all posteriors are the same shape or similarly "upholstered".
That's why there are so many different saddles and shorts.
Some people wonder what all the fuss is about and just ride in perfect comfort.Others seek the "holy grail" some find it others are still looking.
One thing's for sure,some people are happy all of the time,all are happy some of the time,but all the people aren't happy all of the time :mrgreen:

Well I wont be happy until I find another foam padded sprung shiny plastic saddle. My Holy grail :)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

With apologies to hubgearfreak:
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
teh

Post by teh »

I've actually found a comfortable saddle - by which I mean one which does no damage and doesn't bring a tear to my eye on day 2 of my cycling holiday. I'll go a bit further than that with this saddle, it actually feels pleasant to sit on!

First of all let me declare that I am an unreconstructed Brooks hater. Those instruments of torture have caused me so much pain, cost me so much money, and let me down, that I can't help but harbour an inbuilt suspicion of anyone who rides one!

I have this cycle tour planned. Time is booked off work, and ferries and accommodation paid for. However due to a mixture of indolence and bad weather, my fitness programme is balanced on a knife edge. Too many more days off the bike and I won't make the ferry, I'll be lying in a ditch cursing myself instead.

In trying to go too far too soon to make up for lost time, I did myself some damage. My saddle of choice has been a Fizik Vitesse ladies racing saddle (I am a man bye the way) because when I discovered them years ago they were one of the widest saddles available. However, due to throwing caution to the wind, I was unable to get on a bike. Seriously, it was that bad!

In desparation, I did a lot of sitting on talcum powder and tin-foil in an attempt to measure my ischial tuberosities, and did a bit of Googling on the anatomy of the downstairs region. This convinced me I need a significantly wider saddle!

Before I reveal the name of my saddle nirvana, I'd like to point out that although I am passed my prime, I do retain some standards! I ride in a moderate racing position (handlebars ~4" below saddle) and I will not sit on a padded balloon.

The saddle that works for me is the "Gilles Berthoud" "Mente. It's 180mm wide of saddle genius. It weighs a fraction of a Brooks saddle, and the leather is significantly thicker. A light soaking in neatsfoot oil and it's like sitting on a cloud.
hamster

Post by hamster »

The ones that seem perennially popular are a good starting point:
Charge Spoon
San Marco Rolls
San Marco Regal
Selle Italia Flite
Brooks B17

These seem to be more successful than most, although as said it is a personal thing! Personally I'd try a Spoon first, it is cheap and will easily re-sell on ebay if you don't get on with it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

....and did a bit of Googling on the anatomy of the downstairs region............

Always brings a tear the eye in one form or another,I find :roll:

Brooks saddle........ .........I can't help but harbour an inbuilt suspicion of anyone who rides one!

I wouldn't go as far to say that but I can see(with one eye) where you're coming from :mrgreen: .
Last edited by reohn2 on 4 Jun 2013, 2:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:With apologies to hubgearfreak:..............

No need for an apology,he always was odd,when he meant his saddle was like sitting on a sofa he really meant it :mrgreen:
W H Auden
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Interesting comments in this thread about the price/comfort ratio suggesting that it isn't necesarily (or even at all) a direct relationship between cost and comfort - tend to think saddles are one of those areas where mystification/marketing/the sports set have muddied the waters.

My Cannondale came with an excellent slim saddle as original equipment. I eventually figured out what it was (an old Selle Royal Look In) and that SJS (not noted for low prices) sold them for £15. So I bought a couple - should have bought more - now of course the range has been "improved".

(edited for typo)
Last edited by Sweep on 4 Jun 2013, 9:41pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sweep
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

IMO, many people, especially occasional cyclists, don't realise that they should
-make certain the saddle is correctly adjusted
-break in the backside to the saddle and vice versa
-ride a few hundred miles on it before trying something else

They go for their first long rides, become uncomfortable and buy padded shorts. When the padded shorts don't cure the problem, the buy a new saddle. When that doesn't cure the problem they either give up cycling, figure it out, or suffer until the saddle and their backsides are used to each other.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
teh

Post by teh »

Vorpal wrote:
They go for their first long rides, become uncomfortable and buy padded shorts. When the padded shorts don't cure the problem, the buy a new saddle. When that doesn't cure the problem they either give up cycling, figure it out, or suffer until the saddle and their backsides are used to each other.

So, women should ride 140mm wide saddles and stop complaining of gynaecological damage. Either get used to it or give up cycling. You have absolutely no idea!
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

teh wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

So, women should ride 140mm wide saddles and stop complaining of gynaecological damage. Either get used to it or give up cycling. You have absolutely no idea!

Flippin' 'eck teh - surely that was said in jest with tongue in cheek - surely. Surely a cyclist wouldn't insult the women by making such a comment in earnest.

And really, having read your earlier post, I wonder how much idea you have.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

teh wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

Where did I say that? I was implying (maybe a bit flippantly) that too many people suffer needlessly.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom