....why this doesn't take panniers...?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vantage

Re: ....why this doesn't take panniers...?

Post by Vantage »

Can't see how a seatpost mounted rack would foul disc brakes, and if a disc specific standard rack was used, the option of mounting clips and hardwear probably wouldn't be a problem either, but I admit, there are exceptions to the rule. Never used either option myself either so there ya go :P

One other option the op mentioned was a similar spec bike in which case I found this. Ticks all the boxes except for the hub gears, but at £400 under the ops suggested £1000 mark, the savings could maybe be used to fit a hub gear afterwards. possibly?
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/daw ... e-ec050875

I doubt you'd notice a huuuuuuuuge difference between hydraulic and cable operated disc brakes, I sure didn't. I heard stories of tyres blowing off the rim due to excessive overheating on hills like the Kirkstone Pass so the disc brake overheating instead may be beneficial.
Last edited by Vantage on 13 Jun 2013, 12:12pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
meic

Post by meic »

I hadnt noticed that the seatpost mounted one was a beam rack.

Personally I would prefer any bodged seatstay mounting to a beam rack.
Yma o Hyd
mrh3113

Post by mrh3113 »

I had looked at the Dawes bikes but if I'm being honest (and incredibly shallow) I was after something that was a wee bit 'sexier' for day to day riding....

Looking at some of the large Carradice saddle bags/supports - this could well be a viable option if travelling light for touring, along with a handlebar bag...

I'm not even sure the Revolution takes standard mudguards - which again seems like a pretty big oversight for a 'commuting bike'.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far
mrh3113

Post by mrh3113 »

Is there any reason why this shouldn't do the job just as well?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cha ... 05#reviews
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

One review for that last bike says:- "bikes with 21 gears are ridiculous".

Not if you have any hills and aren't built like Contador.

Last time I checked, those 8 speed hub gears have about the same range as an 8 speed megarange cassette - except you can't drop down to a smaller front cog for hills.
My knees would be destroyed in a week.
I use my 48 tooth big cog twice a day too - or I spin out at 23MPH.
mrh3113

Post by mrh3113 »

I was under the impression the lowest gear on the 8 speed Alfine hub would get you up most things - but I've never tried one so I guess I'd better have a test ride first.

If the hill is really that steep then I'll get off and push for a bit :D
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

The eight-speed gear range is more than enough for regular town and country use. If you’re interested in the numbers, the gear ratios are: 0.53, 0.64, 0.75, 0.85, 1, 1.22, 1.42 and 1.62. With a 20-tooth sprocket on hub, this approximately imitates the gears on a 12-38-tooth cassette.

That’s a big range and means you’ll be able to get up the hills and down them with a bit of speed as well. Squeezing eight gears in that large range does leave quite big gaps between each gear, but you get used to it, only occasionally missing an in-between gear to smooth out pedal input.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -hub-31670

I don't know who writes these reviews !
I've one 40,000 miles on 4 different bikes and I know that isn't true for me.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

re the 8speed gear; I think the range is wide enough for most folk provided you set the gearing to give one or two high gears only.

e.g. 45/22 gearing on ~27" wheels gives an 85" top, a 27" bottom and a 65" gear #6.

That'd do me just fine for most riding purposes; even if I might derive some benefit from a wider gear range, I wouldn't necessarily go for it if it meant more maintenance or expense, not on a commuting machine, anyway.

I have ridden comfortably at ~27mph on an 85" gear BTW, and much faster than that for shorter distances, and so have many others. Not everyone spins out at low rpms, or gets anything more than a little buzz from topping 30mph on downhills, not when commuting...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

Once or twice I've been stuck without my 28 tooth front cog and I've just managed the 10 percent hill on my commute on a 29 inch gear.
But on a day to day basis, at 18 stone, I'm grateful that I have a 21 inch gear available. Some days even that is a bit daunting.

The idea of doing my entire commute on my small front cog with a high gear of 66 inches is bonkers - spinning like mad to maintain a modest 15MPH - but perhaps I have a slower cadence than many.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

did you misread by any chance? The 8-speed hub gear is the same range as a ~12-38 cassette, not 12-28...? Or have I misunderstood? BTW if you are hauling 18 stone -in any form- some low gears are desirable I guess.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ant

Post by Ant »

I love Alfine hubs and think they are perfect for commuting. My commute is very hilly but the gear range is fine. No cleaning or chain suck, just super smooth and reliable sequential gearing. I am also a fan of Edinburgh Bike Co-op and have purchased two new bikes from them.

However, I do not think the model linked to is perfect for commuting because:
1. Disk brakes are great and reliable, but can interfere with a rear rack. A rear rack is essential for my commute, hence this could be an issue. The lack of rack eyelets is odd to say the least...
2. More of a problem would be the belt drive. I am thinking how do you ensure correct tension when you get a puncture and have to take the rear wheel off? As I understand it there are some issues with tensioning belt drives and this would be my biggest concern when you cannot afford to be late. If there is some foolproof easy way of doing this at the roadside then fine, but I'm not sure...
3. It will not take mudguards (except raceguards which are flimsy and even then the slot dropout makes rear wheel removal a bigger chore than it ought to be) and with these fitted the biggest tyre that fits is a 25mm. This allied to the alu frame and a fork stiff enough to cope with disk brakes is likely to make for a pretty unforgiving ride on all but the smoothest surfaces.

It does look pretty cool though, which is sometimes enough to live with the other failings! I had a Charge Mixer for a few years and that was a similar bike to the Revolution, albeit with clearance for proper mudguards and it could manage a standard rack too. In the end I sold it, although more through the desire for a change to drops than anything else. I still rate Alfine 8 hub geared bikes as the best solution to year round UK commuting, but the devil is in the detail...
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

Brucey wrote:did you misread by any chance? The 8-speed hub gear is the same range as a ~12-38 cassette, not 12-28...? Or have I misunderstood? BTW if you are hauling 18 stone -in any form- some low gears are desirable I guess.

cheers

I have 11 to 34 on the back and 28/38/48 on the front and 26 inch wheels.
mrh3113

Post by mrh3113 »

How's about this then.....

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec042462

Not sure how the geometry would work in terms of on occaisonal tourer but it will take racks and mudguards by the looks of it.

Points noted re disassembling a belt drive if you get a puncture...
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

That's a nice shade of green. *cough* someone pass the sick bucket :P
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

IrishBill76 wrote:That's a nice shade of green. *cough* someone pass the sick bucket :P

They seem to be playing to the "fixie look" crowd, but still having at least some gears - and brakes.