Getting more aerodynamic and increasing av speed

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
samsbike

Re: Getting more aerodynamic and increasing av speed

Postby samsbike » 16 Jun 2013, 8:26pm

Ant wrote:Hi again

Didn't know you had knee issues. Based on the route you are doing (and the little I know about that area!) then I would say unless your current bike is brick shaped then aero isn't going to speed you up dramatically. I would second any advice to consider your bike fit and knee problems as this is most likely where any improvement will be found...

One thing that does make a difference is luggage. Do you have panniers because I find that when the wind blows (so everyday basically) a wide pannier really catches it where a rack top bag or box doesn't seem to...

No panniers, I succumbed last year and bought a carradice, best decision I ever made. I use a barley day to day which is enough.

morzov

Postby morzov » 17 Jun 2013, 2:49pm

Interesting thread but are we talking moving averages here or average over the whole journey time?

I'm assuming the former because that's what all modern cycle computers seem to measure.

But I can remember when the computers ran the whole time even when you were stopped :D

Ant

Postby Ant » 17 Jun 2013, 8:19pm

Good point. I am talking whole journey averages, including traffic lights, filtering and all that. Moving averages seem a bit irrelevant on a commute to me...

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 17 Jun 2013, 8:36pm

In the town, going slower, giving yourself more time to look around and react to other traffic; and giving other traffic more time to see you,,,, IS SAFER. :D

samsbike

Postby samsbike » 17 Jun 2013, 8:43pm

Ant wrote:Good point. I am talking whole journey averages, including traffic lights, filtering and all that. Moving averages seem a bit irrelevant on a commute to me...

I think its over the whole journey, but I am not sure. The computer does work out my ride time which is around 1 hr 10mins for around 17-18 miles