Re: Stunning and rare 1950 Thanet Silverlight - rideable cla

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

Dantastic wrote:....and there's one on there for a tenner.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Dark- ... 3cd2eb701c

...which should please Whiskywheels!

That is a "Cornish commode",but without the undercarriage.
bobjones

Post by bobjones »

On the downside, every new bike you buy is worth 50% less after 6 months. Every vintage bike you buy is a solid investment....they don't make them any more!
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

what a treat this machine must be to own and ride , as an owner rider of a W Pollard specialite of an unknown era i can only imagine what it would to own this classic machine .
Batgirl

Post by Batgirl »

I think it's possible to have a rideable older bike for very little outlay.Avoid eBay and go to cycle jumbles and you can find anything you want and plenty of people who will give you good advice.Not sure if you'll find a Thanet but you might...Retrobike and CTC good source of parts but avoid Campag as usually overpriced!
Robbied196

Post by Robbied196 »

whiskywheels wrote:This is some kind of joke, right? £3000?? Never going to depreciate??

It's an old bike worth a tenner, or whatever some fool will pay for it. Utter nonsense.

:roll: Completely Clueless :roll:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

the rule is with trolls, don't feed them

OP, it's lovely, i wish i had the money for such a bike.
eddie

Post by eddie »

Them as know nougt say most, it's a lovely bike
Adam Ef

Post by Adam Ef »

The only Thanet I've ever had the opportunity to see in the flesh is in a museum in Bristol. That suggests to me the rarity and importance of them as historical items. It's also a beautiful bike besides it's history. Probably worth a lot more than the asking price to the right person. Decent of the OP to offer it on here at a price less than it may find on the international / ebay market.
Robbied196

Post by Robbied196 »

Adam Ef wrote:Decent of the OP to offer it on here at a price less than it may find on the international / ebay market.

Precisely.

God only knows what the americans would pay for it!
PaulCumbria

Post by PaulCumbria »

bobjones wrote:On the downside, every new bike you buy is worth 50% less after 6 months.

EVERY new bike? Not true. There is solid demand for top quality second-hand recumbents in good condition - I sold a ten year old recumbent for more than 50% of what I paid for it. I wouldn't be in the least surprised if others could report similar transactions.
Adam Ef

Post by Adam Ef »

PaulCumbria wrote:
bobjones wrote:On the downside, every new bike you buy is worth 50% less after 6 months.

EVERY new bike? Not true. There is solid demand for top quality second-hand recumbents in good condition - I sold a ten year old recumbent for more than 50% of what I paid for it. I wouldn't be in the least surprised if others could report similar transactions.

+ Bromptons.

One of the main reasons they rethought the Cycle To Work scheme. Bromptons were being sold at nearly new prices a few years after they'd been bought on the scheme and written off. Partly due to the increase in cost of a new Brompton every year, but also due to the supply / demand for them and the quality and resilience of the bikes.
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

PaulCumbria wrote:

Most ebay bikes fetch over 50pc of their original price,even after years of use.Many Mercians seem to gain value with age.
nnc283

Post by nnc283 »

As long as I've been cycling I have lusted after a Silverlight, I just think they are the most beautiful machines, and I've seen frames come and go for extraordinary amounts over the years so clearly I'm not the only one.

It's not often I call someone out on an internet forum, but the guy who described this as just an old bike really should be hanging his head in shame and taking up another hobby.

Sadly this machine is too small for me, but had it been the right size I would be seriously considering making an offer.
Michael

Post by Michael »

This is a rare and unusual frame but I very much doubt its worth this sort of money? If it was placed in an auction and it fetched three grand the seller would only realise £2460. The most I have seen one of these fetch is just under the £2000 mark. He is chancing his arm and being really shrewd by not going to auction no sellers fees or buyers premium. This is just a feeler and hopefully it will not get a buyer and will go to auction to let the market determine the price.
Donny Dee

Post by Donny Dee »

A vintage bike is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
So, essentially a very risky investment. Given that a 1930's vintage
curly hetchins recently sold for £1300, the real value of this bike is
similar, if not less.

You can ask what you want for a bike, but if it's not realistic, you'll
be keeping it for a very very long time!