Re: Stunning and rare 1950 Thanet Silverlight - rideable cla

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
whiskywheels

Post by whiskywheels »

<Moderator: this topic split out of a for sales post so that discussion of vintage bikes can continue without getting in the way of the original advert>

<Moderator: offensive post removed. Remember the old adage, if you've nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all.

I will repeat, yet again, the rules of using the For Sales section of the forum: only make replies if you are interested in buying or if you are genuinely helping the seller. If you think that the sale is a con (which this one isn't) then contact the moderators directly. If you just want to make rude comments and start arguments then find another forum as this one isn't for you.>
shushuwheels

Post by shushuwheels »

It is not utter nonsence and shows the depth of your knowledge, or rather the lack of.

The price is high, a little too high I'd suggest, but it is certainly a four figure bike.
Gary P

Post by Gary P »

Any bike is worth what someone wants to pay. Heartfelt good luck to our seller. I genuinely hope he gets what he wants for it.
Dantastic

Post by Dantastic »

I'm often surprised by how outspoken and blunt people can often be on here when commenting on other people's posts.

As a CTC member who also owns a bike shop which restores, buys and sells vintage bikes, I can confirm that this is both a rare and high quality machine, and that the seller is correct in stating that it will not depreciate in value, due to the small number of these bikes now in existence.

It's difficult to put an exact price on items like this, but I would suggest that he may indeed have been at the whisky if he thinks it's worth a tenner.
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

Dantastic wrote:I'm often surprised by how outspoken and blunt people can often be on here when commenting on other people's posts.

As a CTC member who also owns a bike shop which restores, buys and sells vintage bikes, I can confirm that this is both a rare and high quality machine, and that the seller is correct in stating that it will not depreciate in value, due to the small number of these bikes now in existence.

It's difficult to put an exact price on items like this, but I would suggest that he may indeed have been at the whisky if he thinks it's worth a tenner.

As a small bike shop owner why not buy it yourself for display purposes?Ultimately all physical items,even paintings, will break down,and thus lose value.I think whiskey man has a point.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Easy enough to determine the price - ebay it. Should do a grand on a good day. Another few '00 if a very good example and a very good day.
Dantastic

Post by Dantastic »

It is true that all materials deteriorate over time, but as long as the bike isn't ridden into the ground, mistreated, or damaged and is otherwise dry-stored when not in use, there's no reason why it shouldn't last several lifetimes. That being the case, it's value will only increase.

Whisky's comments came across as almost indignant that the seller should ask such a price. I merely wished to point out that it's value is far nearer the asking price than the ten pounds suggested - sorry...... stated.
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

Dantastic wrote:It is true that all materials deteriorate over time, but as long as the bike isn't ridden into the ground, mistreated, or damaged and is otherwise dry-stored when not in use, there's no reason why it shouldn't last several lifetimes. That being the case, it's value will only increase.

Whisky's comments came across as almost indignant that the seller should ask such a price. I merely wished to point out that it's value is far nearer the asking price than the ten pounds suggested - sorry...... stated.

Several lifetimes being about 400-500 years?How many sedan chairs have you seen recently?
Dantastic

Post by Dantastic »

Actually, there's one on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Burmese-Sedan ... 3cd0e3ef83

It has a buy it now price of £3,445, so the Thanet is cheaper, and I've already got plenty of chairs!
Dantastic

Post by Dantastic »

....and there's one on there for a tenner.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Dark- ... 3cd2eb701c

...which should please Whiskywheels!
bobjones

Post by bobjones »

For information: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111057430285? ... 1438.l2649

Admittedly not directly comparable...after all it was just a frame.
chesterpete

Post by chesterpete »

bobjones wrote:For information: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111057430285? ... 1438.l2649

Admittedly not directly comparable...after all it was just a frame.

Good grief!! :shock:
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

Point well made on the ebay link. Good luck with the sale.

Personally, I think it's 'utter nonsense' to jump in and throw offensive comments around when you clearly haven't got a clue what you're talking about.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
pigman

Post by pigman »

b1ke wrote:Point well made on the ebay link. Good luck with the sale.

Personally, I think it's 'utter nonsense' to jump in and throw offensive comments around when you clearly haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

couldn't agree more.

On the flip side, I personally think that its sad that the days of owning and running a period bike is now something for the serious hobbyist who is prepared to pay over the odds. This instance may be an exceptional case, like an aged aston martin in the car world. I've always had something 80's and retro, reasons being simplicity/durability, low price to keep it on the road and an element of sentimentality. Nowadays my bikes are all 10 speed alloy or carbon, the reason being that its infinitely cheaper and more convenient to go modern. I can buy a new modern shimano for not much more that a heavily used 80's mech. Just my tuppence
gnvqsos

Post by gnvqsos »

Dantastic wrote:Actually, there's one on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Burmese-Sedan ... 3cd0e3ef83

It has a buy it now price of £3,445, so the Thanet is cheaper, and I've already got plenty of chairs!

yes my mum has loads of Shackletons,but no sedans.We don't have many up this way.I suspect your example is quite young.