Rear rack specifically for 26" wheels

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
meic

Re: Rear rack specifically for 26" wheels

Post by meic »

I am not so sure, there is only around 11mm difference between the two racks.

Tubus also sell extenders, made more for disc brake bikes, that would give you extra height (and weight).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/tubus-rear-rack-extension/
Yma o Hyd
niggle

Post by niggle »

niggle wrote:
tatanab wrote:Tubus Cargo 26" rack on special offer at Evans. Reduced from £92 to £25 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tub ... k-ec006901

Wow! I presume this would definitely not fit a 700C touring bike :?

Damn that is too good to miss, I have ordered one on spec having read that the 26" wheel version is only 1cm lower than the 700C here: http://www.thetouringstore.com/TUBUS/Ca ... 20PAGE.htm

EDIT: meic concurs re the minimal height difference, maybe I am going to be lucky, will keep you posted.

EDIT 2: Also similar messages on other forums re a 1cm height difference and people fitting the 26" to 700C bikes with 35mm tyres and mudguards. So now I have ordered the two different steel racks for 26" bikes I will be able compare them, which will be informative re the supposed superior build quality and strength of the Tubus Cargo, though I don't intend to destruction test the Minoura.
meic

Post by meic »

Well you can get a tape measure out and see if it is going to be close, or not, using these figures.

http://www.tubus.com/documents/13365566 ... sic_BM.pdf
Yma o Hyd
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

You can easily use a 26" Cargo rack on a 700c touring bike.

A measure between 26" and 700c racks on my two bikes only shows 10-15mm difference in height, and there's something like 40mm clearance between the bottom of the 700c rack and the top of the mudguard & 28mm tyres.
ericet74

Post by ericet74 »

Some have mentioned that carrying the load lower might not have to much benefits but consider the following. The reason I am looking for something low is my wife is 4'11" and weighs 95lbs. Now for a larger man with more mass carrying the weight higher probably will not effect to much but when you only weigh 95lbs and you are carrying 35 and its almost as high as your hips...well thats not a good thing. Looks like i'll go with a Tubus with the two sets of rails and use the lower ones. It will look a little funny with the deck almost as high as the seat but it will do the job.
niggle

Post by niggle »

meic wrote:Well you can get a tape measure out and see if it is going to be close, or not, using these figures.

http://www.tubus.com/documents/13365566 ... sic_BM.pdf

Useful link: bike not built yet so can only guestimate at the moment: if I say a 35mm tyre on a 622 rim has a (generous) radius of 350mm, then I would think the top surface of the mudguard should be no more than 370mm above the wheel axle centre.

A 26" rack is 362mm from the bottom eyelet to the top surface of the rack, so about 350 to the bottom surface of the rack.

The rack eyelet on the frame is 30mm above the axle centre so I should have at least 10mm clearance to the bottom of the rack even if it has a crosstube directly above the highest point of the mudguard, so yes it should be OK IMO, will know for certain in a month or so.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

niggle wrote:
tatanab wrote:Tubus Cargo 26" rack on special offer at Evans. Reduced from £92 to £25 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tub ... k-ec006901

Look no further than my post on Saturday, 2.49pm for the answer.
CREPELLO wrote:I use the 26" Cargo rack on my 700c wheel bike. It looks sleeker and there's no reason to use the 700c Cargo unless you're running 40mm tyres upwards.
:wink:
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

ericet74 wrote:Some have mentioned that carrying the load lower might not have to much benefits but consider the following. The reason I am looking for something low is my wife is 4'11" and weighs 95lbs. Now for a larger man with more mass carrying the weight higher probably will not effect to much but when you only weigh 95lbs and you are carrying 35 and its almost as high as your hips...well thats not a good thing. Looks like i'll go with a Tubus with the two sets of rails and use the lower ones. It will look a little funny with the deck almost as high as the seat but it will do the job.
I suggested up thread that you could mount a Cargo via the mudguard eyelets on the rack and lose an inch of height in the process. The Logo that you've opted for uses the same lower mounting plate as the Cargo, so there's no reason why you couldn't deploy the same fix on this rack, if you so wish.

I haven't resorted to the fix myself (I've no need to), but I have a Cargo attached to three bikes and can see no reason why it wouldn't result in a strong modification. The only issue is seat stay and QR clearances and these can probably be cleared, as described above.

It's your call of course, but I think that the Cargo linked above for £25 is bargain of the year and is a saving of about £50 or more on the Logo :shock: :shock: :shock:
niggle

Post by niggle »

CREPELLO wrote:
niggle wrote:

Look no further than my post on Saturday, 2.49pm for the answer.
CREPELLO wrote:I use the 26" Cargo rack on my 700c wheel bike. It looks sleeker and there's no reason to use the 700c Cargo unless you're running 40mm tyres upwards.
:wink:

Err yes I finally twigged just earlier that it had all been answered already by yourself, foxyrider and ericet74 earlier in the thread :oops:
niggle

Post by niggle »

CREPELLO wrote:It's your call of course, but I think that the Cargo linked above for £25 is bargain of the year and is a saving of about £50 or more on the Logo :shock: :shock: :shock:

Totally agree and if I had not ordered the Minoura from Planet X already my 15 year old daughter could have ended up riding her old MTB around with a top class touring rack on the back as well as me with my touring bike. I may still send the Minoura back and order another Cargo from Evans, but I will see what the Planet X offering looks like in comparison first.
meic

Post by meic »

Possibly not, all the silvers are gone already.
Yma o Hyd
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

niggle wrote:
CREPELLO wrote:It's your call of course, but I think that the Cargo linked above for £25 is bargain of the year and is a saving of about £50 or more on the Logo :shock: :shock: :shock:

Totally agree and if I had not ordered the Minoura from Planet X already my 15 year old daughter could have ended up riding her old MTB around with a top class touring rack on the back as well as me with my touring bike. I may still send the Minoura back and order another Cargo from Evans, but I will see what the Planet X offering looks like in comparison first.
I have bought the Minoura rack to fit on a bike that I'm selling. It a mixed bag. On the plus side, it's stiff and pretty light. It just clears 700cx35c wheels and guards. It looks minimalistic.

On the minus side, it's cheaply made with somewhat messy welding and was well out of true, meaning that I had to reprofile it in the vice. It was actually about 110mm wide at dropouts, meaning that I had to respace it - could it have originally been a front rack design?
The seat stay stay mounting points aren't supplied with any means of spacing the seat stay stays, though it does come with two pairs of stays. This was fixed by using a few spacers from my v-brake spacer collection.

So it's alright for a tenner, but a right pain to set up well. Is it really a Minoura?
niggle

Post by niggle »

CREPELLO wrote:I have bought the Minoura rack to fit on a bike that I'm selling. It a mixed bag. On the plus side, it's stiff and pretty light. It just clears 700cx35c wheels and guards. It looks minimalistic.

On the minus side, it's cheaply made with somewhat messy welding and was well out of true, meaning that I had to reprofile it in the vice. It was actually about 110mm wide at dropouts, meaning that I had to respace it - could it have originally been a front rack design?

That's a thought, I was looking at splashing out ~£50 on a Tubus Tara lowrider for the front of the tourer, so what is the current thinking on lowrider versus top-of-the-wheel front racks :?
CREPELLO wrote:The seat stay stay mounting points aren't supplied with any means of spacing the seat stay stays, though it does come with two pairs of stays. This was fixed by using a few spacers from my v-brake spacer collection.

So it's alright for a tenner, but a right pain to set up well. Is it really a Minoura?

I paid £20 :( Can you not just bend the stays to suit?
niggle

Post by niggle »

Minoura rack arrived today:

First impressions similar to Crepello's: very stiff, shiny black paint finish, slight evidence of splatter at the welds but they look solid enough otherwise. 117mm between the inside face of bottom eyelets, can be stretched out to about 135mm by hand. Comprehensive fitting kit including more than enough fasteners and nylock nuts, two different seatstay stay lengths and p-clips. 333mm from bottom surface of the top of the rack to the bottom eyelets: I don't think this would fit a 700C touring bike with mudguards.

Weight 755g (I have included all the fasteners except the seat stay bolts which are already attached to most frames. I used the longer of the two seatstay stays).

To sum up if it was not for Evans selling the Tubus Cargo for £5 more I would be very happy with this rack (for a 26" wheel bike) for £19.99, it seems very strong and is definitely better than anything else at that price.

EDIT: rack without fixings or stays 648g.

EDIT 2: OK who bought the rest of the Evans stock of £25 Tubus Cargos, they are sold out now :evil:
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

niggle wrote:

I think it would. Colin says above that it will unless tyres are > 40mm. At that price, it's worth a punt. Mine arrives tomorrow!