Buy before you try?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sara_H

Buy before you try?

Post by Sara_H »

I find myself in a position that I guess is all to common these days.

After a fair bit of internet research I've found a bike that is as close as damnit to meeting my requirements. However, none of the bike shops anywhere near me stock the bike I think I want to purchase.

I obviously would like to try the bike for size before I purchase, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to. My LBS are now trying to talk me into another bike that is completely unsuitable for my needs.

What would others do in my position?
tatanab

Re: Buy before you try?

Post by tatanab »

Sara_H wrote:However, none of the bike shops anywhere near me stock the bike I think I want to purchase.
Same with cars, motor bikes etc. If there is no local dealer/stockist then you have to be prepared to travel.
My LBS are now trying to talk me into another bike that is completely unsuitable for my needs.
If their suggestions are unsuitable, then simply go elsewhere. Again I am afraid you will have to travel if you have your heart set on a particular machine. Please remember to buy from the dealer that gave you a test ride.
Sara_H

Post by Sara_H »

Problem is finding anyone with one in stock. A shop fairly local to me has it available to order on line, but whe I called them only has it to order. I've emailed loads of shps asking if it's in stock and available to test ride to no avil. All saying available to order only.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

IIRC Evans will order a bike in for a test ride?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I suppose nobody wants to provide the test facility for online retailers. What sort of bike is it? It's hard to imagine a bike that no shop whasoever stocks. :?
Sara_H

Post by Sara_H »

A Dawes Mojave.

No shop within a reasonable distance to me at least.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Companies quite often have the same basic frame on a number of bikes, but simply change the specs for the rest of the kit, and if you read the detailed frame specs you can see that this is the case with te Mojave , the frame description across the trekking range is "Dawes 6061 alloy trekking geometry frame"

In this case the frame is identical with the Dawes Sahara and Mirage.

You may then be able to try a different bike and directly transfer the experience to the one you wish to purchase. Not a perfect solution, but at least you can have confidence over the riding position.

Have fun with this document!

Dawes Frame Geometry
Halla

Post by Halla »

Sarah

This may be of help, Claud Butler are under the same company as Dawes ie: The Tandem Group. They have some bikes with frames similar if not the same as the Mojave. Do you have a Claud Butler shop near you? I would however check the components of the Dawes against the Claud Butler as they may be better. I have also seen a Probike with the same frame as the Mojave. Also Raleigh use similar frames. Assuming you are after a low step through model.

My partner has had a Mojave for nearly a year and she enjoys riding it, nice bike.

Regards Andy
Sara_H

Post by Sara_H »

Thanks for that Andy, it seems that Claude Butler do have a model with the same frame as the Mojave. One of my LBS's lists it as in stock on line so I will call to see if they actally have it in physical stock or just in cyber stock!
Moodyman1

Post by Moodyman1 »

Be wary of 'test rides'. Most test rides involve sitting on a bike and riding round the car park. This will tell you nothing about the bike.

You want a proper test ride - where you leave a deposit and bring your own pedals and ride off for an hour or two.

Very few shops offer this - I think Spa Cycles in Harrogate are amongst them.
Sara_H

Post by Sara_H »

Moodyman1 wrote:Be wary of 'test rides'. Most test rides involve sitting on a bike and riding round the car park. This will tell you nothing about the bike.

You want a proper test ride - where you leave a deposit and bring your own pedals and ride off for an hour or two.

Very few shops offer this - I think Spa Cycles in Harrogate are amongst them.

A ride in the carpark? When I went to look at a boardman a couple of years ago I wasn't even allowed that! Up and down the windscreen wash aisle was as far as I was allowed to take it!
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Sara_H wrote:A ride in the carpark? When I went to look at a boardman a couple of years ago I wasn't even allowed that! Up and down the windscreen wash aisle was as far as I was allowed to take it!

If you buy from a car accessories shop and not a bike shop what do you expect?

In all honesty, apart perhaps from the very low step through I can't see anything to distinguish the Mojave from similar hybrids from any number of brands around the same price, and the retail price of £349 seems, if anything, a little high for the level of equipment. What makes the alternative from the local bike shop 'totally unsuitable'?

Whereabouts are you? People may be able to suggest shops near you which will be more understanding and accommodating.
Sara_H

Post by Sara_H »

Malaconotus wrote:
Sara_H wrote:A ride in the carpark? When I went to look at a boardman a couple of years ago I wasn't even allowed that! Up and down the windscreen wash aisle was as far as I was allowed to take it!

If you buy from a car accessories shop and not a bike shop what do you expect?

In all honesty, apart perhaps from the very low step through I can't see anything to distinguish the Mojave from similar hybrids from any number of brands around the same price, and the retail price of £349 seems, if anything, a little high for the level of equipment. What makes the alternative from the local bike shop 'totally unsuitable'?

Whereabouts are you? People may be able to suggest shops near you which will be more understanding and accommodating.

The very low step through, sit up and beg geometry and the range of gears are the main features that have swung it for me (this is not a common combination, most low step throughs are 3 or 7 speed, which isn't practical for me). Also mudguards and rack, obviously these can be retrofitted, but if I can buy with them already fitted - so much the better.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Sarah
Malaconotus' knowledge of bikes is encyclopaedic, and further to that he is a nice man and he is trying to help.
I will also say, "where are you?"......the herd knowledge on here isn't restricted to the hardware, there are people who will give you a steer for bike shops, too.
Mal. won't say this himself, so I will......you could do a lot worse than get yourself to Edinburgh Cycles in Leeds when Mal. is on shift.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you want a step through with full equipment and reasonably wide gearing range then there are other alternatives, e.g.

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?products_id=9604

which comes with lights etc as well as an 8-speed hub gear. Vs the Dawes, it is likely to be a little heavier (suspension seat post and forks will see to that) but also more robust with less/cheaper drivetrain maintenance required in the medium/long term.

This bike comes with hub generator lighting; this is immensely practical and would be about £100 as a upgrade normally. The vendor in this case has several branches so a test ride shouldn't be out of the question.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~