Do these work? Insect repellent bands

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Do these work? Insect repellent bands

Postby Mick F » 14 Jul 2013, 8:23am

Mick F. Cornwall

Audax67

Re: Do these work? Insect repellent bands

Postby Audax67 » 14 Jul 2013, 10:24am

If you can get it onto a mosquito's wrist, you'll have my blessing. Image
Have we got time for another cuppa?

fatty

Postby fatty » 14 Jul 2013, 10:27am

I've used a citronella one that came free with the horse fly spray a naff off one... It seemed good as I tend to ride in the evening and I seem especially tasty... I'd didn't stop them all but seemed to be a lower no...

Antan1

Postby Antan1 » 14 Jul 2013, 11:07am

Don't bother they are no good, I have tried almost every item on the market, the best are the deet sprays.
My son has just come back off summer scout camp in Portugal where the temperature was in the 40s and no matter what was used some kids, Spanish and English needed hospital attention for infections due to mosquito bites, thankfully they are all ok now.
Use deet and apply often.
Rob
Cannondale SL4 MTB. Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 14 Jul 2013, 11:22am

I use a deet product it when I cut the grass, but it smells rather bad and is sticky and not nice on the skin - at least it stops the flies and bites. The make is Cutter:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cutter-51020-Un ... B000SEW0D8 Not cheap! Good job we have a mate living in USA and he brings us Cutter if we ask him.

I was Googling for other ideas recently. Mrs Mick F suffers terribly with bites even next to an open window in the warm evenings, so these bands sounded a good idea for her.
Mick F. Cornwall

BeeKeeper

Postby BeeKeeper » 14 Jul 2013, 11:26am

I saw these for the first time in France last month priced at about 8 euros each I think. I was not convinced and having seen this review I am still not: http://www.oregonlive.com/hg/index.ssf/ ... est_o.html

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 14 Jul 2013, 12:00pm

A good review - they don't work!

However, it the wrist band's defence, that review was done in the heat of an Oregon summer and not in a balmy English garden, and AFAIK, we don't have mosquitos hereabouts, it tends to be midges and flies.
Mick F. Cornwall

coffeedrinker

Postby coffeedrinker » 14 Jul 2013, 8:11pm

In the summer I use Boots sun block that has insect repellent in it , it doesn't smell bad and it works well . A few summers ago when I was dry stone walling and being driven to distraction by insects I got some of this , the insects kept away from me . Iv been using it since .

VanDeRooster

Postby VanDeRooster » 14 Jul 2013, 8:17pm

I can recommend LifeSystems Expedition. It's available in 30, 50 & 100% DEET.
Taller than you think ...

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 14 Jul 2013, 9:28pm

Hi,
I am alergic to ALL insect bites, midges raise my skin like a pea or larger.
I have for several years used Autan spray and also Dr Johnson too, a non aerosol bottle spray.
I have used it on my weekend camping trips on Dartmoor and have found it very good.
1 ) You have to apply every three to four hours especially when you sweat alot.
2 ) apply to inside and outside of the whole of your legs then rubs your legs together calfs agains shins etc.
On your fore arms then rub these onto each other front to back etc, down your chest and back, and finnally on the backs of your palms and rub these on the sides and forehead of face and neck, a quick squirt on your neck and hair and you are done.

Failure to cover all your body this way will not be effective.

just spent three days on the moors and picked up a single bite, the missus had 30 or so and did not cover herself :!:
Works for tics too, but tics are some years a bit resistant to the spray.
Make sure its a good brand name anti fly spray, the cheaper ones dont work. I have found that they are effective for Horse flys too.

UK only of course, no idea about mosquitos.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

boris

Postby boris » 16 Jul 2013, 2:38pm

''In a controlled study that compared DEET-based repellents with non-DEET-based repellents, the latter failed to show appropriate protection against mosquito bites''.20

from the study pointed to here: http://www.cmaj.ca/content/169/3/209.full

which goes through the subject pretty well.. I have yet to be persuaded that anything else works other than deet for mossies and midges . If I wash it off on tour in scotland I get covered in midge bites within 5 minutes . I find covering every exposed part necessary but soaking cotton clothing works a bit perhaps. I do not find bands and other spot treatments effective. Skinsosoft haas never been properly tested. I think Avon will be happy to keep it that way.

By the way we have plenty of mosquitoes in uk . We used to have malaria too.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/Infectious ... sProfiles/

ps I think of autan as similar to deet; and covering up and wearing nets and spraying clothes is most effective. I also spray the tent with a permethrin type fly killer. Fortunately I do not have to do thhis much, or the possiibilties of toxic effects might cause me more concern.
Last edited by boris on 21 Jul 2013, 12:01am, edited 1 time in total.

andymiller

Postby andymiller » 16 Jul 2013, 5:56pm

boris wrote:'I have yet to be persuaded that anything else works other than deet for mossies and midges .

IME mosquitoes manage to find the bit of you that you *didn't* cover with DEET. Is is really expensive and just horrible stuff to handle (especially the sprays but even the roll-ons and gels). Personally I think the only way is to cover up as much of you as you can. Mosquitoes seem to go for your feet and ankles - so I put on socks and trousers in late-afternoon for when they become active. I suspect midges are less easy to deal with.

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 16 Jul 2013, 6:52pm

Hi,
No comment on mosquitoes, but the Autan if used regulary in the UK does work as well as any I have found, but need to reapply through the day, especially with sweating.
Midges will penatrate ANYTHING.
You will probably get nipped by a few still but no comparison with the spay ons and nowt.
It once took me over 40 minutes to put up my tent on the pennines when it would normally be done in three.
I covered up but the only place I was not bitten was my underpant area.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

eclipse

Postby eclipse » 23 Jul 2013, 7:13am

+1 for Skinsosoft from Avon....
Its what they buy up in the highlands by the caseload.
I would imagine that the folks up that way are more concerned with effective repellance of little biters than most...

RickH

Postby RickH » 23 Jul 2013, 11:00am

Re: Skin So Soft

I've read in various places that you have to use the right product (i.e. one containing citronella, although it probably won't be listed on the ingredients & may be subject to change). I notice that Avon now market their own products containing Picaridin (Wikipedia link), which is supposed to be a good alternative to DEET, using the tag "Bug Guard Plus", but this only seems to be available in the US.

Avonshop FAQ wrote:I have heard you can use Skin So Soft as an insect repellent is it true?
We have had reports from Representatives and their customers that Avon Skin So Soft Soft & Fresh (originally Woodland Fresh) fragrance Bath Oil and Dry Body Spray acts as an effective insect repellent. Our Quality Control Department advise that it is the aroma of the product that has this effect. Citronella is in the perfume and as fragrance oils are 'propriety compositions' and the property of the vendor, due to vendor confidentiality, we list this ingredient as Parfum. However this product is marketed and sold by us as a bath preparation only. We would not recommend any Skin So Soft product for any other use. Skin So Soft products in any other fragrance do not contain the same ingredients as Soft & Fresh.
Link

Rick.